OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Elite 6500 vs Zeiss Conquest vs Leupold VX-3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elite 6500 vs Zeiss Conquest vs Leupold VX-3
    Posted: August/09/2009 at 23:58

1.  Has anyone ever compared these scopes side-by-side for;

A.      Clarity (especially on high manigification/power levels)?

B.      Brightness (light gathering)?

C.      Reliability (holding their adjustments & over all construction)? 

D.      How’s the customer service and warranty (Leupold’s is legendary & Zeiss’s seems to be pretty good too)?

Primarily, this scope would be used for varmint hunting in broad daylight but it could be used for deer hunting as well (it would be on a early 1970 6mm Remington Varmint Special). 

2.  I'm famalier with the Conquest and VX-3 but I have never owned a Bushnell product and I was wondering how the Elite 6500 stacks up against each others, I realize the reticle choices are very limited in comparision with the other two.

Thanks,

Edited by tjtjwdad - August/09/2009 at 23:59
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 00:16
All of the above Zeiss Conquest, Leupold VX3 and Bushnell 4200 & 6500 have good glass.  In fact it is so good that you probably wont be able to tell a lot of difference unless you have special tools to measure the ability of those optics.  What you will find is a difference in features. Pay attention to things like how much internal adjustment the scopes have and how much eye relief they have and of course the selection of reticles and target type knobs. All of those are good and one other that you really should consider also is the Sightron S3.  Do you have a power range in mind.  I would recommend the low end power be no higher than 6x and lower would likely be better.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 10:01
Urimaginaryfrnd,

Its going on a 6mm Remington Varmint Rifle (but could be toted along on a deer hunt too).  

1.  Bushnell Elite.  The Bushnell Elite 6500 is appealing because;

a.      It has the widest zoom range (4-30 IIRC).

b.      This scope can probably be used on a deer hunt and in the wide open fields.

As long as the optics are usefull (clarity, brightness, distortion), especially on the upper end should it be needed this seems like a good all around scope.  I currently have a Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 with side focus and above 20 power its a little fuzzy and no matter what I try (parallax/eye piece focus) I can't get it focused as well as my Zeiss or Leupold VX-3.

After checking the Bushnell website it seems the scope has a one year warranty.  Afterwards I guess I’m on my own.  However, after 10,000 rounds of 375 H&H (I doubt if each scope is tested with actual live fire (that would get real expensive in a hurry)) if a scope isn’t broke by then, it’ll probably hold up to anything.

2.  Sightron III.  I never gave the Sightron a look.  After you mentioned it I briefly checked them out at SWFA.  They certainly are reasonably priced but it seems they are very limited in reticle selection.  However, it appears they have a fixed eye relief which is a nice feature if its as good as a Zeiss and a lifetime warranty.

3.. Magnification.  I agree, the lower the better but sometimes out there in the grassy open areas, its nice to crank up the zoom and take a peek withoit using the binoculars.  So the  The 8.5-25 by Leupold and 8-32 would probably not be looked at.   

4.  Any ideas regarding customer service from Bushnell and Sightron?

Thanks for the reply.

DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 16:43
I believe the Bushnell Elites have a lifetime warranty for defects. The one year warranty is a trial period in which you can actually use the scope and if it doesnt perform to your expectations you can return for an exchange or full refund of its cost...but that is limited to one year. It sounds like a good deal to me.
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 19:41
Sightron has a great warranty and customer service.  I had one that wasn't right and I received a brand new one.  It didn't take long for me to get it back either.  Maybe 3 weeks tops.  I have four of them and am pleased with them overall.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 19:44
Originally posted by tjtjwdad tjtjwdad wrote:

Urimaginaryfrnd,

Its going on a 6mm Remington Varmint Rifle (but could be toted along on a deer hunt too).  

1.  Bushnell Elite.  The Bushnell Elite 6500 is appealing because;

a.      It has the widest zoom range (4-30 IIRC).

b.      This scope can probably be used on a deer hunt and in the wide open fields.

As long as the optics are usefull (clarity, brightness, distortion), especially on the upper end should it be needed this seems like a good all around scope.  I currently have a Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 with side focus and above 20 power its a little fuzzy and no matter what I try (parallax/eye piece focus) I can't get it focused as well as my Zeiss or Leupold VX-3.

After checking the Bushnell website it seems the scope has a one year warranty.  Afterwards I guess I’m on my own.  However, after 10,000 rounds of 375 H&H (I doubt if each scope is tested with actual live fire (that would get real expensive in a hurry)) if a scope isn’t broke by then, it’ll probably hold up to anything.

2.  Sightron III.  I never gave the Sightron a look.  After you mentioned it I briefly checked them out at SWFA.  They certainly are reasonably priced but it seems they are very limited in reticle selection.  However, it appears they have a fixed eye relief which is a nice feature if its as good as a Zeiss and a lifetime warranty.

3.. Magnification.  I agree, the lower the better but sometimes out there in the grassy open areas, its nice to crank up the zoom and take a peek withoit using the binoculars.  So the  The 8.5-25 by Leupold and 8-32 would probably not be looked at.   

4.  Any ideas regarding customer service from Bushnell and Sightron?

Thanks for the reply.

they dont test any of their scopes with live fire, they have a recoil simulated machine that does all the work. the .375H&H isnt easy on scopes but the .458 lott is the true test of a scopes toughness.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2009 at 08:31
IMHO I would rate them.....Bushnell, Zeiss , Leupold
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2009 at 11:34
So it sounds like the glass on Bushnell and Sightron III is just a clear/sharp and bright?

Regarding the Sightron III and Bushnell Elite 6500 scopes;  How good are the adjustments for windage and elevation compare to Leupold VX-3 and Zeiss (I have each of these scopes and they are "real" good)?

Thx, 

tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2009 at 12:00
Originally posted by DAVE44 DAVE44 wrote:

I believe the Bushnell Elites have a lifetime warranty for defects. The one year warranty is a trial period in which you can actually use the scope and if it doesnt perform to your expectations you can return for an exchange or full refund of its cost...but that is limited to one year. It sounds like a good deal to me.

That would certainly change things.  I hope the scope would never go bad but stuff happens...

Thanks for the tip,

Jim
fireroad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2009 at 22:37
They are all very good but you would be best to look at them yourself. I just got back from Sportman's warehouse and compared the three side by side, but only indoors. To my eyes the bushnell and Zeiss were tied for brightness (the VX-3 was a step down), the Zeiss won on clarity with Busnell and Leupold tied for 2nd, and Busnell won on resolution followed by Zeiss then Leupold. I know, not a very good explanation. Basically I would go with the Zeiss, then the Bushnell, and Leupold (but only for varmit).
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 14:36
I agree with Fireroad explanation completely. I have also had plenty of customers say otherwise though. I think these three come to personal preference.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 17:19
When I did my comparisions at the range a couple weeks back (Conquest, Monarch, VX-3), if I had to pick a winner based on the scopes alone it would be the Zeiss but ony by a hair.

I'm glad to hear about Bushnell and that they too have a decent warranty. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic