OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Springfield Armory Scope for a Varminter?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbyrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Springfield Armory Scope for a Varminter?
    Posted: April/23/2004 at 09:03

Has anyone tryed the Springfield Armory 4-16x42 5.56MM (GE5090SA) model?  I am getting a Bushmaster 24" Varminter and I need a good scope for it.  This scope is suppose to have automatic bullet drop compensation for the 5.56 (.223).  Would this be a good choice for a scope/rifle combination?  Or would there be something better in the >$340 range?

THX

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2004 at 12:25

It is a very good choice for that weapon if the scopes are all they are cracked up to be....ya see Springfield has yet to ship any, so we don't have any real world experience with them yet.  If you can wait I think that scope will be hard to beat in its price range.  If you are in a hurry look at some of the new Leupold Mark 4 scopes.

jbyrd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbyrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2004 at 16:27

Chris,  Thanks for the reply.  I hope these scopes are going to be worth it.  The good thing for my situation is that I've started my homework way early.  It will be mid to late summer before I plan to purchase the rifle and the optics.  You see I don't believe in putting hobbys on credit cards, so I've been saving my pennys and dimes.  I'll continue to do some research and I'll keep my eyes and ears open for reports on the SA Scopes.  Please keep me in the loop of things when you guys get your real world play time to try these out.  I'm local here in Waxahachie so I might stop by and check them out in person if you guys have and type of demo set up.

Thanks alot,

Josh

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2004 at 09:38

Josh,

Just give us ring in a month or so and if we have them on the shelf you are more than welcome to come over and look at them in person.

fenian15 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fenian15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2004 at 12:01

For that money, you'd have a hard time beating the Weaver Grand Slam 6x20x40.  Crystal clear glass, sharp clicks, very little shift in eye relief through the magnification band.  I have the fine crosshair/very small dot one, and it would be perfect for small pesky critters, as would the extra power. 

I bought this from SWFA at their recommendation, and I have been VERY happy with the way this scope performs. I don't have a lot to compare this to, but it is clearer than a Burris Fullfield II, if that helps.  Definitely worth a look for what you intend to do. 

jbyrd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbyrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2004 at 08:41
I would like to buy American Made products but I will compare the two when I go to purchase one.  I have my eye on the Springfield because of how it is made for the 5.56.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2004 at 12:32
American made will limit you to Burris or Pentax and kinda Leupold, Swarovksi 1" or Zeiss Conquest.
jbyrd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbyrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2004 at 12:50
WOW I didn't realize that!  I guess I need to adjust my desires to include some over seas products.  Thanks Chris/  By the way have the new Springfields came in yet???

Edited by jbyrd
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2004 at 12:56
 nope
jbyrd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbyrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2004 at 16:06
Chris,  by chance are you going to have a booth at the Waxahachie Gun Show on the 15th and 16th?
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2004 at 11:58

As a spectator only.  We stopped doing all shows about 5 years ago.

That little show is turning into a pretty good show.........lots of deals.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic