OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Can Tikka light rings hold a 50mm scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can Tikka light rings hold a 50mm scope?
    Posted: August/09/2009 at 15:25
Could you put a leupold 4-12x50 or 4.5-14x50 on a tikka t3 light with factory rings or would the scope hit the barrel?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2009 at 15:52
Originally posted by boliodogs boliodogs wrote:

Could you put a leupold 4-12x50 or 4.5-14x50 on a tikka t3 light with factory rings or would the scope hit the barrel?

"Normally", those factory rings are usually high enough for a 50mm scope, but I'd sh*t can them and get some Talleys, friend.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 11:27
+1 to what Mark said. I've had two Tikkas, and both ended up WITHOUT those supplied (crap) things they called rings.Big Grin
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 11:37
Originally posted by boliodogs boliodogs wrote:

What caliber is the rifle?

If it is a very low-recoil gun (7mm-08, 25-06, .223), you might be OK.  If the gun generates any significant recoil, throw those rings in the trash IMMEDIATELY!  They are pure crap.

I have significant experience with Tikka and with their rings and I have nothing but praise for the gun and nothing but hatred for the rings - they have failed on me and on fellow Tikka owners the world over.  Trash those rings, they will screw you at the worst possible time!

I really, really like the Talleys on Tikka, though I also run Warne Maximas with great results - the Warnes are tricky to mount, but work well once isntalled properly.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 13:07
The only problems I've seen with the rings are soft screws.  The T3 is the tool of choice for my club's Hunter Class 300yd benchrest.  Most, if not all of us use the factory rings without problem.  One shooter stripped out a head and replaced all the screws with stainless from the local hardware store.

One flaw in Tikka's design is the spacing of the tapped holes in relation to the recoil lug recess on the top rail.  It's easy to push the ring forward until you think you've bottomed out the peg on the ring to the recess.  In reality some people will push the ring forward and stop on the front filler screw in the top.  The first time you fire it like this there's big trouble.  The ring will slip and sometimes enough to tear out the recoil lug.  I've seen 3 T3's like this the last couple of years while spotting for the local sight-in days at our club.  All 3 instances could have been avoided if the operators were more careful about the recoil peg location.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 13:12
I too have seem the peg ripped out, but the one instance was from recoil, not from poor mounting.  It was on a 300WM T3 Lite and the gun was a thumper.

My advice: trash the factory rings, get better rings, don't worry about it ever again.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 18:10
Thanks everyone for the advice. I have left handed T3 Lites in 300WSM 300 Winchester 7MM mag and 3006. I will get the Talley rings for them. Why do they make such a fine rifle with poor rings and a hard recoil pad? I see the talley rings come in low, medium, and high. I like to get the scope as low as possible. My scopes have objectives of 32 36 40 44 ane 50mm. At what size do I need to move up to medium and can the medium take a 50mm or do I need high rings for a 50mm scope?
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 22:28
Generally speaking most mediums will accomodate a 50mm but I have no experience with those mounts in particular.  My general rule of thumb.....if I need high's, I am attempting the wrong scope.  You generally cause all kinds of comb height issues with a 50mm.  50's I only use for varmint/target guns.  Especially a lightweight, compact rifle like a Tikka I'd match up with a smaller scope.  Unless you have a head like Eric Stoltz in the movie Mask you'll likely be lifting your cheek on a straight comb T3 to see through a 50 IMO.
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 22:50
Thanks Horsemany, good reasons for me to stay with 40mm scopes and pass on the 50s. Will the Talley low tikka setup handle a 40mm scope anyone?
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2009 at 07:25
On the Tikka Talley lightweight lows will accomodate a 42mm.
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2009 at 16:49
Thanks Horsemany, as of now all my scopes are 40mm or less and I think I will keep it that way.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic