OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New scope advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRL1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New scope advice
    Posted: August/09/2009 at 11:10
Hello Everybody,
I'm new to the Forum and would appreciate some advice. I have a new AR-15 and belong to a Gun Club and do rereational target shooting. At our club we have a 100, 200, and 300 yard range. I'd like your advice on a good reasonably priced (under $200) scope to handle this type of shooting. I have never owned a scope and would appreciate the benefit of your experience.
Thanks for your timeGrenade
"Children are God's punishment for enjoying sex..."
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2009 at 11:31
  First off WELCOME to OT!

I'll start off by suggesting one of these two(first pick,the Bushnell):

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2009 at 12:10
 Welcome!
 What kind of targets are you shooting?
 If you're shootin tiny dime-sized targets from a benchrest, your scope needs will be vastly different than if you are shooting falling plates or silhouettes offhand, or in run-and-gun scenarios...
JRL1943 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRL1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2009 at 12:17
Ronk,
Usually fixed, circular, 6" to !2" bulls eye Targets from Shhot-N-C. Shooting from a benchrest and standing. I'm too old to lie prone or run...
JRL
P. S. Thanks 300 S&W
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2009 at 12:18
Welcome and GREAT sig line! Thunbs Up
"A prisoner of the white lines on the freeway"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2009 at 12:29
 I would go with a lower-end variable then. The Burris 3-9 that 300 S&W mentioned would be a fine choice.
 Check out the SWFA store page under Riflescopes. Any variable in the 1-3x on up to perhaps a 4-12X range from Nikon, Burris, Leupold, Bushnell, Weaver and others should work well. The new 3-9 SuperSniper would be fantastic, but not at 3x your budget.
Don't forget to budget for a good mount, and if you could add 100 bucks to your scope budget, your options will increase along with the quality available.

edited for sentence structure.

Edited by RONK - August/09/2009 at 13:29
JRL1943 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRL1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2009 at 12:51
Thanks Ronk,
If I increased my budget to $300 or so what would you recommend?
Thanks,
JRL
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2009 at 13:09
 I REALLY like this one:   http://swfa.com/Bushnell-3-9x40-Elite-4200-Rifle-Scope-P6910.aspx
 Very good glass, extremely tough-superb value for your money.
You'll even have a penny left over to buy a gumball to enjoy at the range!
JRL1943 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRL1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2009 at 13:20
Thanks so much, Ronk.
Good shooting to you.
JRL
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2009 at 13:28
 You're welcome!
 But don't decide just quite yet, if you don't need to. If you hang around a day or two, others will probably offer a few equally good options to consider...
JRL1943 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRL1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 10:44
I have researched and really like both of your suggestions. I have also been looking at mounts to attach the scope to my AR-15. I want to be sure to clear the fixed sight. Do I need a medium, high, or extra-high mount?
Would a Burris mount like this work?
Burris AR-P.E.P.R. 1
Or is there a better solution? I would like to be able to take the scope on and off without losing zero if I can.
Thanks,
John
Grand poo bah View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grand poo bah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 13:23
I went with med hight one piece on my AR and really like it.  There is plenty of room for my GG&G BUIS
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 13:54

Grand Poo Bah- did you have a riser block under those rings? I can't imagine Medium rings from most manufacturers being at all usable on a conventional AR15...? Just wondering.

I needed the Badger Ultra-High rings to get a comfortable view through mine. Weaver High rings worked, but just barely- I really had to squash my cheek down hard on the comb.
 I think the Burris mount you (JRL1943)  linked to would also be ideal. SWFA carries it as the SSALT mount or something like that, as well as the Burris-branded one. One of the staff should be able to direct you properly...

JRL1943 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRL1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 14:05
Ronk,
I found Burris Xtreme Tactical 1 Inch Matte Black XHigh 1 Inch Height Two Rings. What do you think for the AR-15?
JRL 
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 17:10
 I think those rings would be an excellent choice at a fairly reasonable cost.
 The only reason I know of to go with a forward-offset mount such as the Burris one-piece model you linked to earlier, is that it will allow proper eye relief with some very short scopes. If you go with the 4200, more conventional rings should work fine, as that scope has a long tube and the Flattop AR has a lot of slots to choose from when mounting it all up.
 It should be very repeatable if you torque the nuts the same when remounting them on the receiver after removal.

edited to clarify a point.

Edited by RONK - August/10/2009 at 17:13
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic