OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

A New Beginning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A New Beginning
    Posted: August/09/2009 at 10:29
Well my son finally graduated from College.  Yesterday was his Graduation Ceremony in Williamsport, PA.  It was a nice ceremony that lasted and a hour and a half.  It felt great watching him walk that stage and receive his diploma.  We are all proud of him.  He made Deans list with a 3.52GPA and received several merit awards from the 3 Hospitals in which he did his Clinical training, for excellent compassion and patient care as well as accurate procedures.
Afterward we all helped load up the last on his apartment and started the 3 hours drive home with a warm glow.
Today, I look at what faces him and am apprehensive as to the outcome.  He studied and received an AA in Radiology as a Technician and wants to 1st specialize it MRI then Gamma Radiation.  He has searched a 100 mile radius around home and only found 2 advertised openings.  One being at Johns Hopkins, Bayview.  JH has absorbed several of the independent Hospitals in the Baltinore area over the last 10 years.  Still it is a good place to work. 
Dustin went to Penn College of Technology a Penn State affliate.  Tuition was damn high and he starts his working career with about $55K of student loans hangging over his (and My) head.
I don't see how kids can do it unless their parents are paying their ways, something I was not able to do as the college fund was destroyed in the divorce.

Edited by budperm - August/09/2009 at 10:32
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2009 at 11:06
My daughter starts college this fall.  She is having to go to a Jr. College, here in town, because I cant get her any money.  It is amazing, everyone keeps telling us we make to much money to get aide... funny thing is the cost of living is more than we make.  Being a college graduate, it's hard to tell my kids that college isnt going to get you what you want anymore.... I have a friend whose daughter just graduated Baylor U.  He paid over $160,000 to send her.... She is parking cars for a valet service downtown.... wow! Loco

Good Luck to your boy!

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2009 at 11:09
Good for your kids....( both of you fellas..)   

Now if we can just keep the Country underneath our feet....
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2009 at 11:43
Congrats to the grads! Job well done. My daughter finished a few years ago so I'm now FREE and CLEAR!!!Excellent
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2009 at 13:43
Tough every where, everyone is fighting tooth and nail to stay afloat.  What scares me is the dept that are kids are going to inherit for all of this bailout money.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2009 at 16:56
Bud, you sure are experiencing some life events in a short time frame. Good luck to your son. I'm sure that he'll find something in his field. Unfortunately, that may mean moving somewhere else for a while. But looking back, I don't regret living in and working in several other states during my younger days. If nothing else, those experiences make you value where you live more when you get back there.
Reaction time is a factor...
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2009 at 19:41
damn i have a lot to look forward to my oldest just started Jr high. congrats to everybody's kids. i hope our country can pull together by the time my kids  graduate.

Edited by hunterwingler - August/09/2009 at 19:41
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2009 at 22:21

Thanks for the kind words everyone!  I too am quite worried about the fate that awaits our children.  From where we stand now it looks pretty darn scary!  The next ten years is going to be one heck of a rollercoaster ride.  I hope we all survive it!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 09:22
When I was graduating from high school, we were all going to be turned into gray dust by a Soviet nuclear attack. When I got out of college, I was looking for a job in a recession. There's no doubt some generations have it better and also that we have to get our house in order as a country. Yet it seems every generation has its crises to deal with.
Reaction time is a factor...
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 17:51
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Thanks for the kind words everyone!  I too am quite worried about the fate that awaits our children.  From where we stand now it looks pretty darn scary!  The next ten years is going to be one heck of a rollercoaster ride.  I hope we all survive it!

Yeah bud i hear ya it really scary, my youngest two  our 5&6.... just got laid off from work about a month ago still having no luck finding another one. it's a good  thing ive got friends & family that can still help out,  good thing i can hunt & fish like a mad man. lol I hope none ya have to threw what i am now or have gone threw.

Edited by hunterwingler - August/10/2009 at 19:05
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 19:10
Jamie Brother, you just made my prayer list.  Being out of work when you have little ones to provide for can sure make one feel helpless and useless!  I am a single parent and have had my kids since they were 7 & 9.  Now they are 21 & 23, in that time I was out of work twice and I know how awful that can make you feel.  I see you are a carpenter, well I work at B&D and am on the design team for Dewalt cordless tools.  All the yellow and black tools you see and use on the job.  Well our sales are down about 70% for the Dewalt line, nation wide.  If this keeps up to much longer it is possible that I will again be in the un-employment line.
Hang in there, I hope you find work soon!

Edited by budperm - August/10/2009 at 19:11
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 19:23
thanks. yeah my grandfather god rest his soul  lived to be 98yrs young  always use to say son to be surprised if you see another great depression in your life time. it wasn't until i was older that i under stood what he was talking about. You know what i think the old man was right, i think its  damn close now.  God Help Us All. 

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 19:47
Yeah My Gramps was just short of 100 too, born in 1899.  I stop and think of all he saw in his lifetime...its truely amazing.  Horse drawn buggies, Model A , Model T, Tri & Bi-planes, Zepplins, jets, man on the moon.  Short wave Radios, AMs, FMs, Stereo, 78s 45s, 10,s Reel to reel, 8 tracks, cassettes, CDs, Nanos, pony express, RR mail, air mail, email. Western Union, ma Bell, party lines, rotary phones, push tone phones, cellphones.  Man the list just keeps going and going.   Gramps used to be a Light House attendant after the Navy.  Became a mailman after they automated him out of the lighthouses.  Quite an interesting old cuss and tough as nails.  Blown off a second story scaffolding helping rebuild his church at 75.  Shattered his hip, was told he would never walk again.  Told the Doc watch me,  was walking with two canes win about 6 weeks.  18 months later got an artificial hip, threw the canes away 8 weeks after that, no limp!  Kept on motoring for another twenty years.
Wow I wish I had half his vinegar!
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 19:59
Yeah I hear ya. Grandpa was born 1909 , worked on the rail roads in WV. with other jobs. moved the family  14  of them , ( most had moved out already) out west in 65? i belive. hell of man he was i watch him go from a big man to  shell of him self the last days of his life. i help take care care of him on/off for 7yrs. other than being a father it was the hardest job of my life. would i change it F***kin Hell No... lol  it was the least i could do for the man that help raise me & my borthers... 

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 20:07

Bud, congratulations to your son and to you.  Good job.

My daughter recently graduated from nursing school, moved to Kalifornia and CANNOT find a job.  She is getting pretty discouraged.  She has a house in Tennessee that she cannot sell, either... deal has fallen through 4 times.  She and her husband are feeling the hit...

I pray your son finds meaningful work very soon.  God's speed...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 20:23
Thanks Dan!  I hope your daughter find work soon too!  Dustin thought long and hard before deciding on Radiology.  He figured a health profession would be one of the most secure technical skills jobs.  I see no shortage of patients but all the hospitals are laying off!  Obamanomics!  My son's in for a rude awakening, he thinks he is going to inmmediately buy a house with 100% financing and $55K of students loans hanging over his head.  Oh, and no really reliable transportation to speak of, just worn out Saturn and a customized 1974 honda CD750 motorcycle.  I tried to explain but he wasn't listening!  He'll learn soon enough.  Good kid, just stubburn and impatient!  Wonder where he got that?
--Thomas Jefferson

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 21:07
Usually the health care profession is pretty secure and stable. I'm not sure but I think there is a lot of fear about what is going to happen with the health care system changes Obama is after.   My oldest has been getting by almost on a part time job at Godfathers and now wants to go back and do community college. The other three are in the Air Guard.  Take note that a nurse joins direct commission as an officer. A college degree also places you as able to go to officer cantidate school.  That radiation degree might be something to ask a recruiter about as I'm sure the need is there.  Air Force and Navy both have huge hospital corps and the Air Guard does have a medical unit on every base. http://www.goang.com/
I will suggest this - they can get experience fast this way and there is a posibility that the military will go back and reimburse for college costs I know Army Guard is doing some of that.  The Air Guard is paying for my daughter to go through nursing school she has her LVN and is working on her RN when she gets the RN she direct commissions as an officer.
The Air Guard often does some very cool summer camps - my daughters boyfriend just went to Hawaii for 2 wks summer camp as Security Forces.  She got to go to Puerto Ricon two yrs ago and was deployed to Iraq last winter.   I'm not sure if this idea will work for you and yes there is some risk but it can be a way to an education that doesnt place you into debt that you can never overcome.  I wish I  could afford to just send them to college but  they are gettin expenience and building benefits that I hope will help them to get ahead. You really need both education and experience and this is one way someone without the experience can get it.   Often the veteran perference points mean the difference between getting a job and not later on especially with government jobs.   A lot of these officers make as much for one weekend a month drill pay as I make for the whole dam months work.   Also there have been some huge cash bonus money paid out for joining over the last several years but that comes and goes so you should ask and shop around with the different services except that I will say that Marine Corp does not ever pay a sign on bonus they dont want you unless you want to be there more than just for money but they have no  hospital corp they use Navy Hospital Corpmen.  

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - August/10/2009 at 21:14

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2009 at 09:21
Thanks Wes, I will show him this thread and see what he thinks!
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic