OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Meopta M eostar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leicaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meopta M eostar
    Posted: August/07/2009 at 10:32
Anyone have any in field experience with these, Ive read about them, and I tried them at the local cabelas store, and i was very impressed. I tried the 10x42 in the Meopta, Swarovski EL, Leica Ultravid HD, Zeiss Victory, and Leupold Gold Ring.

My rankings would go like this:
1)Swaro
2)tie Zeiss
2)Meopta
4)Leica
5)Leupold
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2009 at 11:00
I have had them for a few years and they are fantastic.  Pretty tough to beat for the price.  I have honestly never heard anything bad about them.  Many members of this forum use them and like them very much.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2009 at 14:23
I very much like mine (meopta's), I'm not about to say they are as good as swaro, leica  or zeiss, but they provide all the optics I'll ever need.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2009 at 23:07
 The Meopta 7x56 is an interesting and rather unique scope. I'd like to try one out.

Edited to add:Sorry- I got lost in the binocular forum, thinking we were talking about riflescopes...

Edited by RONK - August/08/2009 at 18:28
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2009 at 16:36
I've got the 7X42's and like them a lot.  Imaging is as good as anything I've seen and 7X seems to be easier for my aging eyes to use for longer periods.  I think my brother is going to get a pair, and he has Swaro 8X EL's
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
leicaman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leicaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2009 at 17:17
I got a chance to try them today, and as far as optical quality, they were as good or better than the Zeiss/Swarovski's. They are a little heavy though
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2009 at 19:45
The Meopta Meostars have always been one of my favorite bins...at any price. The 8x42s, the Zeiss FL 7x42s and the Zen Ray ED 8x43s have been my "reference standard" bins for quite some time (last 8 months in the case of the Zen).

Personally I find the Meoptas optically competitive with all of the non-ED/FL Alphas (Zeiss Victory I and II, Swaro EL/SLC, Leica Ultravid). Each of these bins has its own particular "flavor" when it comes to apparent sharpness, contrast, color representation, color fringing control, size of sweet spot, field curvature, etc... I certainly find the Meoptas to be in the same class optically as the bins I mentioned. If they ever came out with a an ED version of the Meostar I certainly believe it would have to be classed with the best binoculars in the world.

I had a recent experience where I sent my 8x42s in for inspection with the company as there was a mechanical issue I had some concern with. They replaced the bins and had them back to me within 24 hours of a discussion on the issue. Furthermore the new Meostars actually better my original pair optically in several key areas...plus they upgraded many of their accessories.

Two thumbs up for Meopta!
Frank
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2009 at 13:16
 Wow! That certainly is a fine commentary on Meopta's quality and Customer Service,
Frank D. Thanks for sharing your thoughts...
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 10:15

I have used 10x42 Meopta Meostars for several years now, and the use includes some hunting in VERY wet country and also some abuse (crawling a few hundred yards across rocks, cactus, etc.) They have stayed in perfect alignment and never fogged, unlike some more expensive binoculars. I will put up with a few extra ounces of weight to get that kind of rugged reliability. In fact as I get older I tend to prefer a little heavier binocular for serous glassing, because it makes binoculars steadier.

Plus, of course, the Meopta optics are very fine. One of my tests for optics is to glass alongside other people who use different binoculars, and see if we can spot the same details. We can argue about color rendition, edge-to-edge sharpness, etc. etc. for days, but the real test of a hunting binocular is whether WE CAN SPOT STUFF. If I am seeing everything that somebody else use a Zeiss or Leica or whatever can see, then I am pretty well satisfied.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2009 at 21:44
John,

I could not agree more. I ended up picking up the 8x32 Meostars today to compliment the 8x42s for certain situations. They are just as rugged and high performing as their larger counterparts. These binoculars (the entire lineup) is too often overlooked!
Frank
kristoffer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristoffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 03:58
Will you get the same upgraded version as you got after you repairs if you buy a new meostar?

Originally posted by FrankD FrankD wrote:

John,

I could not agree more. I ended up picking up the 8x32 Meostars today to compliment the 8x42s for certain situations. They are just as rugged and high performing as their larger counterparts. These binoculars (the entire lineup) is too often overlooked!
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 21:09
I would think that would depend on what type of stock your dealer has. The 8x32 I just purchased has all of the older accessories in the packaging and yet it really only debuted about a year or so ago. The Meostar 42 mm have been around for several years so it is entirely possible that you would get an "older" version unless you a) ask the dealer to see what accessories were utilized or b) check the serial number to see how current it is. I believe mine is 6xxxxx but I will have to check later.
Frank
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2009 at 19:10
I posted my impressions of this bin compared to the Zen Ray, shortly after receiving my Zens.  I have always been impressed with Meostars and, like other posters, have heard few bad words about them.

They do have a small optical issue, as I have posted in other threads.  They do not control CA to the level of other top bins.  If you are particularly sensitive to CA, I would recommend trying another bin.  However, even with the CA issue, the image provided by the Meostars is exceptional.

I agree with JB about the ability of these binoculars to withstand abuse, as mine took a tumble down an avalanche chute, with nary a scratch.  I also had great luck with customer service after they fixed an extremely minor issue (tiny speck of dust on interior lens service) by replacing my pair with a brand new pair - without delay.

Great company ... great product.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic