OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rslamiroult Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1911
    Posted: June/21/2005 at 15:17
i'm soon to buy a 1911. any sugestions? i can spend $700-$750. spr. armory, s&w,sig, colt,kimber etc. keep price in mind.
rslamiroult
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2005 at 15:32

I say Kimber makes the best 1911 of all the "non custom" makers.

More than you want to pay though.

Kimber makes a great 1911 for the money. I had a Tactical Custom II that was just a dream to own and shoot. Being a lefty, the ambi safety was nice too. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2005 at 18:27

Parts are very available for 1911's.  While the Kimber is damn good, you could go with the Springfield which is great, (I have one) or one of the other brands you mentioned and then buy the custom parts you want and put them on.  For less than the Kimber Customs you can build a 1911 up to be just as good or better for less $$$.  I'm about to add a full length guide rod, extended slide release, ambi saftey, and move the mag release over to the right side since like cheaptrick I'm left handed.  I'm also going to throw some Crimson Trace laser grips on there as well.

Just watch Shooting USA, and you'll see some of the top competitive shooters use a variety of 1911's other than Kimber.

Fight Smarter
Not Harder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2005 at 19:06

Mithran:

What model Springfield do you have?

I like the build your own idea too.

Whatever you do, I recommend a FULL SIZE 1911. Less problems overall.

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2005 at 21:58

I have most all of them made, 37 1911s at last count.  Most all of your known brands are pretty good these days.  I think the S&W is the best deal going for less than $700.  I have yet to find a SIg that was right.  Springers are good.  The early Kimbers are better than the new ones.  Colt is actually making good pistols again.  One of the best kept secrets out there is the Dan Wesson Patriot series.  Para single stacks are good.  There are more good 1911s in your price range than bad ones.  The only ones that I see consistent problems out of are the made in the Phillipines models and they have improved dramatically in the last year or two.  I don't own one, but I have been told that Kahr has turned the crappy Thompson/Auto Ordnance 1911s into some great pistols.  You have a lot of great choices available to you.

ranburr

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2005 at 22:05
37 1911s???

Holy cow!  That's more 1911s than I have guns total and people call me a loony !

Well, I am guessing that you are a few years older than I am so I still have a chance of catching up if I keep at it diligently enough.  O founally found a 1911 variant that fits well in my hand: Israeli BUL M5 that is now imported by Charles Daly.  I might have to get one of those.  All of the other 1911s I tried do not sit well in my hand (and point a bit low as I learned to shoot with a Glock).

Ilya
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2005 at 01:21

Springfield 1911 GI model. 

I could be wrong on this but Springfields have two types of slides type 70 and 80.  The type 70 is better which is what I have. Supposed to be as close as possible to the 1911 GI issue but with a tighter slide, polished ramp, throated, large ejection port, pretty much everything improved that plagued the old 1911's that led to stovepiping and all that.  Very accurate.  Could easily made into a open or closed competition gun.  Only bad thing is very low and small sights.  That's why I'm going to put custom irons either Novak or Trijicon and Crimson Trace laser grips on it.

Fight Smarter
Not Harder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2005 at 04:22

Earlier Kimbers are better than the newer ones? How?

Internal extractor vs. external extractor?

Fit or finish?

I have ran every kind of .45 ammo out of my Series II Kimber. Zero malfunctions.

I also took it to a shooting class last year, and shot over 2300 rounds of ammo in 4.5 days, cleaned it once (competitor) through the week.

Again, the only malfunctions I had were 3, due to my stupidity of buying bulk "reloaded" ammo from Cabela's. The cases on some of the rounds were not properly resized, and the round failed to chamber. Had a bulge in the case.  

Maybe I just got lucky, but that pistol was the best shooting .45 I ever had.

My Wilson wasn't bad either, but I traded it for the Kimber.

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2005 at 13:27

I did not mean to insinuate that the new Kimbers are bad, just the old ones have fewer issues.  Series one guns made in OR have the traditional internal extractor, no firing pin safety, a better finish, and the early models went through a hand finishing proccess (initiated by Chip McCormick, or so he said) that the new ones do not.  Kimber is probably making more 1911s than anyone else in the world.  As a result of getting product out the door they do not seem to be of the quality of the originals.  I would consider them still in the top two major manufacturers.  I also liked them better when my first year model cost $375.

ranburr  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2005 at 13:32

ranburr:

Didn't mean to call you out on that post.

Anybody who owns 37 1911's is an expert or an addict, or both.

My Series II Kimber was just Heaven sent.  

rslamiroult View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rslamiroult Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2005 at 13:47
going up a few bucks what do you think of the spr. armory operator(px9105ml)mc. not the $1600 model , the$1200msrp model with light rail?
rslamiroult
rslamiroult View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rslamiroult Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2005 at 09:55
1911 or h&k usp in .45 for my first handgun ? pretty set on 1911 but i hear alot about h&k and love the look.
rslamiroult
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2005 at 14:34

We have a nice TRP on GunBroker ending tomorrow.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=35886830

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2005 at 21:23
Have had a few 1911's in 20 years of IPSC  (yes still use the old term) shooting and can add the following. Almost anything made after 1995 is better than made before l995. Have had 3 Springfields break, by frame cracks, or lug shearing, 2 para-ordiance rail seperations, miss. MIM parts on Kimbers. Have never had a Colt although all need tweaking. New Colts are really nice (post 2002). I like the new S&W best- not as massive as a colt or springer and the finger area next to the trigger guard as it touches the frame has been cut back a la enchanced Colts ( S&W my next gun in the Lt.wt commander). Probably the best factory custom out there now. But (and I thought I'd never say this) recently got a Glock 38 I" shorter grip holds ten, same weight as a Lt. Combat Comm. 185 Gold Dot or Sierra at 1000 fps in the GAP- for me more controllable than the LT Wt. Comm. However the trigger is not fine enough for rapid 25 yd. head shots a la IPSC but as a carry gun-wow.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic