OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rate your spotters under a $1000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 14:06
Any review on the Minox MD 50?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 15:00
For not much more than $1000, you can get this

http://swfa.com/Pentax-20-60x80-ED-Spotting-Scope-P4402.aspx

It is money very well spent.  I bought it a few years ago on Koshkin's recommendation, couldn't be happier.

As I said in a recent review (soon to be up on product page) I ran it side-by-side with a Kowa TNS883 and it was not quite as clear or sharp and contrast wasn't quite as good, but really, really close.  And for 1/3 the Kowa price.

Haven't seen the Kowa on long range yet, but bullet holes with the Pentax at 300+ is no problem on a sunny  day (don't usually shoot 300+ in the rain.)  Can see the shoot-n-see at 600 on a good day (no mirage, clear air.)

Money very well spent!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2010 at 00:53
+1 on the Pentax 20-60x80ED.

Or for backpacking or shorter distances a Nikon Fieldscope 13-30x50ED has an amazing image quality. It has become my scope of choice for shorter distances at the range. I find that I can resolve details that a number of 20-60x60 scopes can not.
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 20:28
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

I'm not going to sit here and tell you the Bushnell Excursion 15-45x60 FLP Ed spotter is as good as most $1000 spotters, but I looked through a couple with Chris when I was at his store last week.......amazing glass for the price.  It looks to be a carbon copy of the Leupy model. 

I just got the Leupold GR 12-40x60mm and it is a great scope. However, I still have my Bushnell Excursion 15-45x60mm and I'm not convinced quite yet the $1000 Leupy is $700 better than the $300 I paid for the Excursion. The Bushnell does have a slight aberation around the outside but the center is pretty darn clear. The eye relief on the Leupold is fantastic for us eyeglass wearers but only a snitch longer than the Bushnell.

I have the option to return the Leupold within 30 days for a full refund so if it ever quits snowing I want to give them a good side by side comparison. I had a Stokes Sandpiper, and although it was nice and the 65mm was a tad brighter than the Excursion, I though the Excursion was a tiny bit clearer but the compact FLP design is a fantastic feature.  The 80mm Excursion looked like a monster when I looked at it but the 60mm Excursion has to be one of the best bargains out there.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 23:47
One nice thing about Pentax spotters that they use standard 1.25" astronomical eyepieces.  Besides, Pentax makes some of the best eyepieces themselves (XW).

As general guidelines for selecting an inexpensive spotter to be used at the range, I would suggest the following:
-Go with a fairly large objective lens if you can (80mm is common)
-Go with a spotter that looks pretty long compared to the lens diameter (easier to build)
-Try to find one that is available with fixed magnification eyepiece (not as common as it should be)

The rest really comes down to how much you are willing to spend.  I am currently testing a $1600 Vortex Razor HD spotter and I am very impressed with it.

However, for $750 Vortex Skyline is no slouch either.

For about $1200 total, you can get Pentax 80mm spotter and one of the fixed focal length XW eyepieces (XW20 is 26x, and XW14 is 36x).  This is an especially good combination if you wear glasses since XW eyepieces have very generous eyerelief.

The spotter that I use most of the time is a simple Pentax PF65A-ED.  I find that it has good combination of image quality and portability.

In the lower price bracket, Bushnell Excursion FLP is a surprisingly nice spotter if you pick a good one.  I saw quite a bit of sample variation with those.

I am generally cautious with low priced spotters because I have not seen a whole lot of good ones.

ILya
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 09:17
I've been using a non-ED Vortex Skyline that I talked my friend into buying last fall (the best way to obtain optics, eh?) and it has worked very well as far out as I've been able to use it this winter, which is only 300 yards. But even with snow glare and/or targets in shade it has been easy to spot .30 cal holes.
Reaction time is a factor...
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 14:36
There is a guy on the Hide that thinks the Konus 20-60x80 is almost right up with the Kowas. I wonder if their glass is that good or is this guy trying to hype a cheap scope.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 14:42
Konus as good as Kowa?  Similar?

The both begin with the letter "K", everything diverges from there.

Kowa 880-series is the king of the hill, Konus ain't  on that hill, they are on another hill saying, "I could totally be at the top of that hill if I wanted to, I just don't want to."
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic