OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon or Leupold scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleymaddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon or Leupold scope
    Posted: August/06/2009 at 09:20
Looking at getting a new scope. Here are the two I've narrowed it down to, but there is some price difference.

1. Nikon Monarch 3-12x42 with BDC reticle - $440 at Cabela's
2. Leupold VX3LR 4-14x42 with B&C reticle - $760 at Cabela's

Is there going to be that much difference between the 2 to offset the price difference? We hear tons about how great Leupold is and I can vouch, I have Leupold scopes, but haven't heard much about Nikon. My dad has a Nikon and I'll have to say, it is clear.

I'm mainly looking into a new scope for some type of the drop compensating reticle.

Thanks!

JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2009 at 10:28
I have no experience with the Nikon Monarch 3-12x42. I do have the VX-3 4.5x14x40 Long Range though. It has the CDS (Custom Dial System) with it and I like this feature alot. With the CDS you find a load that works well for YOUR rifle only. Then you send the scope to Leupold and order a Special Turret for your scope that will allow you to shoot various distances, they need your Caliber, Velocity, Bullet Weight, Alt., Temp,BC, etc, etc.. You use a Range finder and Dial it In , then Click in the Range on Your Leo Scope and Hold right on. No Holdover at any distance, So the scope/rifle will do its job then you have to do yours, which is practice, practice, practice. I do have Swaro scopes that have better glass than the VX-3 but I do not have a scope with a better system than this. The CDS is Great! Im sure there are many other good choices out there too and one I would look at is Leupolds Custom Ballistic Reticle too, with that they build you a special reticle with hash marks just for YOUR rifle also. These are pretty slick I think. If it were me I would call and get a catalog, here.http://www.leupold.com/
Then I would go to SWFA and order a scope, here is one and you have many more choices at SWFA including the NiKon you mentioned. Leupold has ALOT more choices of reticles though
Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-3 30mm Riflescope Duplex Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-3 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66410
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Side Focus
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$679.95 
Happy Hunting! JF
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2009 at 11:06
The Nikon has a much wider FOV at low power.  Don't know if this is important to you but it is to me.  Also, with the Nikon BDC reticle you have more choices of aiming points.  You can use top of circle, center of circle, or bottom of circle for each holdover point.  The Leupy does have more high end magnification and IMO is probably a tougher scope suitable for harder kicking rifles.  Although I've never had a Nikon fail due to recoil or any other reason for that matter.  A buddy on mine who does a lot of Pronghorn hunting out west has the 5x20x44 BDC model and loves it.  Hope this helps.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2009 at 18:20
I personally like leupold, though I know nikon makes and excellent scope.  I don't like the the little circles of the nikon bdc, I like the "straight line hold over points that leo and others use.

Please check out the SWFA.com, they have fantastic service, 110% price guarantee and tons of choices.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2009 at 19:43
Honestly, I am not a huge fan of either Leupold or Nikon scopes (just personal preference).  As far as the difference between the two scopes you mention goes, I do not think Leupold is worth the premium over Nikon, unless you really want the custom dials.

I would also look at the following scopes (in ascending price order):

ILya
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2009 at 20:44
I used another Nikon scope with the BDC tonight. I already have a few Monarchs with the standard plex reticles.
With that said, I can firmly say that the BDC is not a low light reticle if that is what you need.
Other than that, the Monarchs are very nice. They have nice glass, are reliable so far, and look nice on top of fine rifles.

Edited by tahqua - August/06/2009 at 20:50
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2009 at 20:46
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I used another Nikon scope with the BDC tonight. I already have a few Monarchs with the standard plex reicles.
With that said, I can firmly say that the BDC is not a low light reticle if that is what you need.
Other than that, the Monarchs are very nice. They have nice glass, are reliable so far, and look nice on top of fine rifles.

i totally agree with you doug, im not real wild about the bdc either, but i too like the monarchs. i havent had the chance to try a new monarch or a new vx3 though so things may have changed a little.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2009 at 23:14
For the $$$ its tough to beat a Nikon.  However, to my eyes, the newer Nikons aren't quite as crisp as the newer Leupolds up in the 20 (or >) power range and in the darkest of light they lag both the Zeiss and Leupold VX-3, of course they lag those other two in price, significanty too.

Before deciding, you should ask yourself; "what is the scope for" (varmints, big game)?  When thats answered you'll know which reticle to go for.  As far as reticle contrast, Zeiss is very good.

HTH  

tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2009 at 23:22
Originally posted by magshooter1 magshooter1 wrote:

Although I've never had a Nikon fail due to recoil or any other reason for that matter.  A buddy on mine who does a lot of Pronghorn hunting out west has the 5x20x44 BDC model and loves it.  Hope this helps.

I had one fail (on a 204 Ruger) a couple of months back.  But, to Nikon's credit they replaced (and upgraded it) under the warranty.

HTH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic