OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

z-r 7x36 or 8x43 for archery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z-r 7x36 or 8x43 for archery
    Posted: August/05/2009 at 22:48
I have a viper in a 10x that i really like, but a little to jumpy at 10x for one handed stuff while archery hunting, never done a side by side in the field with a 7x, and 8x..most the blacktail hunts around here are not long distances.. anybody ??
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2009 at 22:58
Either one would be nice. The 8x43 has a little more exit pupil but also weighs 5 oz more. Size-wise though they are really close. The 8x43 is .7" longer @ 6.5". 
Reaction time is a factor...
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2009 at 08:57
It is hard for me to wish for more than a 6-7x binocular for shorter distance binocular use.  Actually the magnification is useful out nearly as far as a good 8x.  I have most all of the 6-7x compact binoculars and use them a lot.  The specifications for the ZR 7x36 seem to make it an ideal glass.  I should have mine next week, I hope.  The pre order frenzy sold the first shipment out before they even got them.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2009 at 10:20
Most of the time the 6-7X mag would be plenty and easier to handle. I can't really make a direct comparison to any other models because either the magnification is 8X with an objective of 30-32mm or 7X with an objective greater than 40X. However, if you look at the binos in the 8x30-32 range (Zeiss, Swaro, Pentax, Nikon, Leica) when you go down in objective size you also get some appreciable weight savings - typically under 20 oz. for HD glass - and smaller dimensions. Given that there's only 5 oz difference between the 8x43 and the 7x36 and almost no difference in physical dimensions, I'd lean towards the 8x43 just because of the extra 1X (but still easily manageable) magnification. For bowhunting that might not matter, but could be useful for other hunting. The difference in exit pupil is only 4.5% so not much of a consideration. Since both are over 5mm they should be quite decent for most people. (Heck, by the time most of us have money to buy good optics - even $400 bins - we're old enough to have lost 1-2mm of pupil dilation anyway).
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2009 at 12:32
Do not misread the ZEN ED dimensions too literally.  Trust me, there is a considerably more compact binocular in the 7x36 than the 8x43.  The 7x36 differs in size from something like the Swaro 8x32 EL by just a little more length, and a tad bit fatter barrels.  Most of the size reduction in the 7x36 will be in the smaller diameter barrels.  Now while they will be smaller than the 8x43, they are in fact larger than most of the 8x32 class compacts, just about splitting the size difference.

Now from my personal experience, if I were to hand you, say my Swift 7x36 Eaglet with the 7x36 covered up, I think the chances are at least 99% that you would guess it at 8x.  There is a lot of sheer personal preference in likes and dislikes in magnification.  I could do just about anything I need with a quality 7x-8x image.  If I need more, I go to a spotter or 12x+ binocular.  However, some guys would fight to keep their 10x, so it depends on personal preference.

The real draw of the 7x36 format is a small and relatively compact binocular that still has a full 5mm exit pupil, making it better in twilight than the 32mm binoculars.  There is a considerably noticeable increase in depth of field favoring the 7x vs the 8x, more than might seem at first thought there might be.  That extra 4mm of glass and decrease of 1x magnification generally makes possible a better level of resolution, a bit brighter (yeah I know that is subjective, but OH well...) that has a better depth of focus, read less use of the focus wheel, and an image easier to hold steady.

Edited by Klamath - August/06/2009 at 12:33
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2009 at 21:03

I would probably opt for the 7x36. The wider field of view, better depth of field and more compact size would make them ideal for intense, close quarter hunting. I plan on using both the 8x43 and the 7x36 this archery season to see which I actually prefer. I have a feeling it is going to be the 7x36 but I am trying to remain open minded.

On a related note have any of you noticed how many 7x36 binoculars have recently debuted? I know at least one of them, the Bushnell Excursion EX, is being targeted specifically for bowhunters with a "Chuck Adams" edition. Its specs, though very good overall, aren't anywhere near as "advanced" as the Zen ED II when you consider the new Zen will have dielectric prism coatings (for brightness), ED glass in the objective (for sharpness) and a truly wider field of view (410 feet versus the 470+).

It is a great time to be in the bioncular buying market.

;)

Frank
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2009 at 23:38
Klamath and FrankD, I appreciate your points about FOV and DOF. I'd be interested to read your comparison of the two bins in the field. If I get a new pair of bins it will probably be the 8x43s but I only consider them better for my particular requirements. Either is probably going to serve its owner well. If it was a question between the 8x43 and the 10x43, I would absolutely go with the lower magnification. There's no doubt the DOF would be significantly better and 10X are just heavier and harder to hold steady. Frank are you going to have the new ED2 8x43s as well or will you be comparing the 7x36s to your first-gen 8x43s?

I like the 8X because it matches the 8X magnification on my rangefinder so switching between the two would be less distracting. Also, since I am looking for animals at longer ranges, partly to determine which one to target, I'd like a little extra magnification before embarking on a long stalk. (On those occasions where a long-range shot might be taken the final view will be @ 10X through my NF scope, which has good enough glass to make out .30 cal holes @ 200 yards).
beachdog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2009 at 23:40
thanks for the great replys, I was initially leaning towards the 7x36 for alot of the reasons you guys mentioned,slight size and weight savings,steadyness,if thats a word..field of view..  thanks klamath, sometimes  the specs make them seem closer than they really are in your hand..last year i was looking at the 6x32 leupolds,glad i waited.. jono ,I know we all use are optics for crossover use`s, the main use on these  will be archery..   Frank ,  I might wait for your review on both before i pull the trigger..   thanks again      
Rachelle Caryl View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachelle Caryl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 07:48
1. Coupons, rebates and frequent shopper programs are there to save money on groceries -- Use them.
2. If you're buying grocery items in bulk, try warehouse clubs or superstores. These places offer you the best prices for non-perishable items.
3. Buy milk that doesn't need to be refrigerated for the second week. Though it's more expensive it can save you money by not having to return to the store the second week.
4. Be a good comparison shopper. The true value of a product is the unit price and not the package price.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 10:18
Well after using both for awhile, my main binocular for everytrhing has become the 7x36ZR ED 2.  There might be a tad sharper image in the 8x43, but if you don't have them side by side you won't notice it.  The 7x has a noticeably better depth of focus than the 8x43, and has a noticeably wider fov.  The 8x43 is a bit better with edge sharpness, but the 7x36 has the best sweet spot.  There is also a bit less total focus wheel travel on the 7x36. 

The 7x36 is a bit bigger than I anticipated (the unarmored prototypes were seemingly quite a bit smaller).  It is about the exact same size as the Nikon Monarch 8x42.
Steve

jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 11:14
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

Well after using both for awhile, my main binocular for everytrhing has become the 7x36ZR ED 2.  There might be a tad sharper image in the 8x43, but if you don't have them side by side you won't notice it.  The 7x has a noticeably better depth of focus than the 8x43, and has a noticeably wider fov.  The 8x43 is a bit better with edge sharpness, but the 7x36 has the best sweet spot.  There is also a bit less total focus wheel travel on the 7x36. 

The 7x36 is a bit bigger than I anticipated (the unarmored prototypes were seemingly quite a bit smaller).  It is about the exact same size as the Nikon Monarch 8x42.

They are just about the same size and weight as a pair of Nikons. I wouldn't hesitate to get the 7s if the objective was also 43 (or 42). That would be a sweet pair of bins at that price...even if they had to make them an inch longer.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 14:55

They are a sweet binocular as it is.  They go just as long into twilight as the x43, or at leat as far as I need them to go, so I would venture an opinion you have no worried on that score.  Like the x43 there is nothing else to touch them at their price plus a lot more.

There is a certain appeal to them offering 7x, 8,5x and 10x43 I guess, but if we see that, I don't know.

Steve

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 17:14

What was the deal with the frequent shopper stuff a few posts up?

That now makes two forums I frequent that have been hit with this type of stuff.

As for the 8x43/7x36 comparison, I am definitely leaning more towards the 8x43 ED 2 model. In a comparison between my two particular units the 8x43 appears sharper with a noticably wider sweet spot and better CA control overall. After seeing Steve's comments here and elsewhere I am wondering there isn't just a bit of product variation at play here.
Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic