OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Critter Cooking Café
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Salmon recipe needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salmon recipe needed
    Posted: August/04/2009 at 21:18
My wife and I love to eat salmon and Costco has some really nice specimens.  Does anyone have a recipe that we could try?
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 21:29
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
2TB oil
1TB grated ginger or 2tsp ground ginger
1/4tsp pepper
2 cloves crushed garlic

marinate in that for 4-5 hours and grill.Big Smile
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 21:34
you suppose ted has a beer involved recipe for salmon??

*chris if he does, do not attempt to drive the excursion for at least 8hrs*
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 22:20
I like mine just grilled with some "Nature's" Seasoning Salt and maybe a little olive oil painted on first!
take em!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 22:27
1/2 cup maple syrup or if you can get it sorghum syrup, or molasses
2 tblspn balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup piesporter goldtropchen
1/2 tblspn salt
1/4 tblspn ground black pepper
1/4 tblspn crushed whole ginger
2 tblspn olive oil
Mix all ingredients... heat, stirring constantly, over low flame until just beginning to bubble.  Cool, pour over salmon and marinate for several hours in the refrigerator. 
Smoke over a "cool smoke" fire (hickory or mesquite) until just flakey.  Garnish with very finely chopped onion and lighltly squeeze lemon juice over the fish. 
If you prefer, it can be grilled until the sauce is carmalized.  Garnish with lime slices. 
Several different methods, all with different tastes. 
I suggest whipped, garlic new potatoes and boiled (or broiled if you like it) asparagus. 

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2009 at 07:01
cover in crazy janes salt mix and olive oil. let sit for a few hours then  grill and enjoy.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2009 at 13:37
I like my simple, rap it tin-foil with your favorite barbacue sauce and either grill or bake it.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2009 at 14:30
We often use a cedar plank to add smoke flavour to the salmon as it cooks on the barbecue.  Costco sells them up here for $8 per 6 pack.  Here is one recipe:

1 plank
1 salmon fillet (2-4 lbs.), skin on
11/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
olive oil
Soak plank 45-60 minutes. Light one side of gas grill on high for 15 minutes. While grill is heating, rinse salmon fillet, pat dry and sprinkle with salt. When grill is hot, lay a sheet of foil on the unlit side of the grill. Put plank on top of foil, close lid and let heat for 5 minutes. Once heated, brush plank with olive oil, lay salmon on plank, skin side down. Brush salmon lightly with maple syrup, sprinkle with pecans and close lid. After 10 minutes, turn plank 180 degrees. Plank will smolder around edges, if it is really burning, spritz it with water. Check after 15 minutes. Fish is done when it flakes. A large fillet make take longer, continue to check periodically.
God save the Empire!
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2009 at 16:23
Those all sound good. If you're in a hurry though, Jamaican jerk rub under a broiler is a quick and tasty way to prepare. BTW, I'm always disappointed that Costo, despite being headquartered in the Pacific NW, only carries farm-raised salmon. To me that's the equivalent of farm-raised venison.
Reaction time is a factor...
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2009 at 19:38
Costco does have some nice farm raised fillets compared to most groceries. The farm raised is also half the price of the most excellent of wild run Alaskan sockeye.
I do like to brush some olive oil on the skin side so it doesn't stick to the grill.
A quickie that always works for me is Bay's Seafood Seasoning on the top side. Just before removing off the grill at medium done, I squeeze some lemon on top.
Some dijon mustard mixed with some fresh dill and butter can be thrown in a Pyrex, stainless or ceramic bowl. Set it on the grill to the side while grilling the fish. Put some dollops on top of the fillet when served...........yummy.

jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2009 at 22:57
Actually was pleasantly surprised to find my Costco had wild sockeye...same price per lb. as the farm-raised stuff. Even if it was a few dollars higher, I'd have paid it. There is a world of difference between the two.
Reaction time is a factor...
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2009 at 09:56
Good news Jon, I'll check that out. 
Eileen Clarke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2009 at 20:46
One of John's all time favorite way to cook any fish, including trout and salmon, is to wrap a chunk of it in a paper towl and microwave until just done.  (Still moist, but flaky.)  Then let it chill in the fridge and when cold, add your usual favorite 'tuna salad' mixings.   Mayo, garlic salt, whatever you like in tuna salad. 

But my fave is lightly grilled, with a good brushing of maple syrup on the flesh side; then mix up a crab louie kind of dip: a cup of mayo, 1/4 cup chili sauce (like bottled Heinz Chili sauce), 2 tbsp grated onions, 2 tbs minced fresh parsley, pinch of cayenne pepper, and 1/3 cup heavy cream. 
That also works for any white meated fish.  (Or maybe with all that mayo and cream, it would work with anything that crawls, stots, or wiggles. 

Eileen
PS  John and I were at the  Missoula Gun Show this last weekend, and I bought a second (in 6 weeks) Remington Model 31, 20 gauge pump shotgun.   I can't believe I ran into both in such a short time, and bought both.  Now I can't decide.  keep both?  Sell the less perfect?  They're both in great shape.  Any thoughts?   What I'd really like is a Rem Model 17 in something less than 12 g.  But they're a lot harder to find than 31's and they're hard enough.   
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2009 at 23:17
Hold out for the 17 and then trade both the 31s.

Great recipes!  I am going to have to go get some salmon and try them.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2009 at 00:15
Originally posted by Eileen Clarke Eileen Clarke wrote:

One of John's all time favorite way to cook any fish, including trout and salmon, is to wrap a chunk of it in a paper towl and microwave until just done.  (Still moist, but flaky.)  Then let it chill in the fridge and when cold, add your usual favorite 'tuna salad' mixings.   Mayo, garlic salt, whatever you like in tuna salad. 

But my fave is lightly grilled, with a good brushing of maple syrup on the flesh side; then mix up a crab louie kind of dip: a cup of mayo, 1/4 cup chili sauce (like bottled Heinz Chili sauce), 2 tbsp grated onions, 2 tbs minced fresh parsley, pinch of cayenne pepper, and 1/3 cup heavy cream. 
That also works for any white meated fish.  (Or maybe with all that mayo and cream, it would work with anything that crawls, stots, or wiggles. 

Eileen
PS  John and I were at the  Missoula Gun Show this last weekend, and I bought a second (in 6 weeks) Remington Model 31, 20 gauge pump shotgun.   I can't believe I ran into both in such a short time, and bought both.  Now I can't decide.  keep both?  Sell the less perfect?  They're both in great shape.  Any thoughts?   What I'd really like is a Rem Model 17 in something less than 12 g.  But they're a lot harder to find than 31's and they're hard enough.   
I like your grilled recipe.  Have to try that soon.  Thank you.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Eileen Clarke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2009 at 19:37
Helo18: I missed a 17 on an online forum just the other day.   I do have one; but it has a polychoke on it.   Handy for changing conditions, but I would like something that hasn't been dicked with.  
So you're a 17 fan, too?  Or just know that a person isn't happy until they find right gun?
Eileen
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2009 at 19:52
Well, more that I know that a person isn't happy till they find the right gun.  But I do like the older Remington pumps.  I would love to have a old 17.  My dad has a couple of the model 12 22s.  Some day they might be mine.  Hope you find that 17.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2009 at 23:32
White wine + lemon juice + lemon pepper  Bake in pan covered with aluminum foil at 350 for about 20 min.

Option #2 make a foil packet and cook it on the grill with what ever seasoning you prefer -  there are several oriental seasonings that can be used.  Some type of ginger seasoning might be worth a shot.  Fish is fairly versitile it tastes like what you put on it so if you like spicey stuff you could go that route also.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2009 at 23:37
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

you suppose ted has a beer involved recipe for salmon??

*chris if he does, do not attempt to drive the excursion for at least 8hrs*

You mean like cover it with garlic  and butter and add a beer to a foil packet and grill it?

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic