OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mercury Tubes & Limbsavers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mercury Tubes & Limbsavers
    Posted: August/04/2009 at 18:55

Have any of you guys ever used any 1" Limbsaver Recoil Pads for your rifle?

Have any of you ever installed a mercury tube to reduce recoil?

If so How well have they worked to reduce recoil?

I just sent my Bar 7mm mag. stock to the Limbsaver folks in WA. For the purchse of the pad plus 50.00 in labor they trim a 1/4 off of my stock and install the trimmed Limbsaver Recoil pad.
Also I spoke to a Tech. Gun Guy at Brownells and he said the Mercury tube will work also reduce recoil IF ONLY you have it securely up against the recoil pad when installed so it cannot move at ALL. If it moves it will nort work for the shooter..
Thanks
JF 
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 19:05
Got one in my 870. 2 3/4 Brenneke mags are no problem.   That gun has a pad and a load up side saddle for some extra control.  Compare that to my skinny Ithica with none of the above which makes most stuff uncomforatable.   
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 20:46
Mercury tubes I can't speak to, but limbsavers are on every rifle stock I own not really for the recoil aspect but the increased LOP.  Yes, I have been called a knuckle dragger.  LOL

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 21:17
I installed 2 mechanical recoil suppressors http://www.edwardsrecoilreducer.com/index.htm in my stock for my 338 RUM.  It has a 26" #5 contour barrel so the extra weight in the stock helps with balance and recoil.  Here are some pics of the installation

I put release agent on the inside of the stock and then bedded them in solid with Acraglas.  They are removable

With the weight of the gun, an integral muzzle brake/port and the 2 suppressors the 338RUM kicks like my lightweight 30-06
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 21:20
i put a limbsaver on my .300wsm and i would wager a lot of money that it made a 20% difference in felt recoil. they really work.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 21:47
I like the limbsaver stuff, it helps.  I don't have anything with mercury in it....except a catfish I caught in the James River.

The best thing I have found for recoil is: a muzzle break and a REALLY GOOD set of ear muffs.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 22:02

I met a rather petite little lady at the gun club a couple weeks ago who was shooting a nice little Benelli. She had been having trouble dealing with the recoil after a couple rounds of trap. Her husband told me that he installed a mercury recoil reducer in the magazine tube, and they both agreed that it made a big difference in her comfort, (and scores).

Also-Limbsavers are very popular on Old Gobbler; a turkey-hunting forum I visit occasionally. These guys shoot hard kickers- 3-1/2 inch 12 and 10-gauges with 2-1/4 ounces of shot and more. They seem to work well, judging by the popularity.
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 22:22
Thanks!

Sakomato is this recoil supressor one of the better ones made?
 I do not want to put a muzzle brake on any of my rifles, I think it may make me flinch worse. ( on the larger calibers anyway. I kinda enjoy tinkering and trying different things on these rifles though..
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 22:46
 YMMV, but I once owned a hunting rifle with a muzzle brake.

Never again.

My remaining hearing ability is too precious.

If I ever again need a muzzle brake to tame a rifle's recoil to a manageable level, I'm simply not going to be playing with that firearm.
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 22:54
Ok, what is YMMV Ronk? Then I will try again..Smile
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 23:09
YMMV = Your Mileage Might Vary

I really can't say one style is better than the other.  I heard all kinds of horror stories about sloshing sounds with the mercury and clicking sounds from the mechanical kind.  I noticed no clicking with the mechanical thingies cause when that 338RUM goes off it is an event and it would be hard to notice anything else.

I think either would be fine.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 23:31

How much do the mercury reducers weigh? I could see some weight in the stock a plus on a heavy barreled rifle.

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 23:33
I do not blame you Ron!

I think I will try the mechanical one  Sako, Im not sure I like the idea of mercury being in the rifle, especially since the rifles more than likely will be passed down.
Thanks!
Guys
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 23:44
3-tens I do not know how much they weigh, but I just read this article from Chuck Hawks and he says they do not work , just add weight. Here it is
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2009 at 03:30
I had fitted a mechanical recoil suppressor to my 308 Win. Cannot say it has turned it into a 22 rimfire. The rifle still kicks off the sight picture. The kick feels a bit more like an AR though, that is less "sharp". The added weight did balance the rifle better.
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2009 at 06:17
I'm a big limbsaver fan ( haven't tried the mercury recoil reducer) .. I have limbsavers on a 300 RUM, 2 45/70's, a 338 , 300 wby , and several 12ga set ups.. Really noticebale difference over the traditional hard rubber stock pads allot of guns are made with. For sure worth the investment.

Edited by martin3175 - August/05/2009 at 06:17
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2009 at 07:25
  Here's something I often wondered.  Does a recoil pad get hard over a looooong period of time?  I've seen some of the old vented ones actually have pieces missing.  What about soild ones,say like a Pachmeyer.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2009 at 09:06
Well, it is just rubber. Depends on the care taken. Keep out of direct sunlight, do not store it standing on the rubber etc. My dad had a vented recoil pad that became compressed from standing like that in the safe. It did take 40 years of standing though!!!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2009 at 09:26
  The Pachmayr Presentation Model on my Brown Precision is at least 30yrs old and just doesn't seem to have the compression it once had.  It's been used ALOT.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2009 at 09:53
Earl,
The Browning Bar I sent off to have the limbsaver installed on is 39 years old. I gave the serial # to Browning to find out for sure. So my point is yes the rubber on this ol pad is like a rock...The bar since its an Auto should not have that bad of recoil according to what I hear from other Bar owners. Or perhaps Im just overly sensitive since I have a plate in the back of my head/screwed up neck to boot. Anyway its all just something to do isn't it?Poker I like that emoticonSmile 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic