OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Critter Cooking Café
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Squirrel Spagetti

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squirrel Spagetti
    Posted: August/04/2009 at 00:18
1/4 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1 slightly beaten egg
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 tsp basil
1 1/2 lbs ground squirrel
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 1/2tsp Salt
1/4 tsp pepper
(MEATBALLS)

(SAUCE)
1-15 oz cans tomato sacue
1/4 cup chopped onion
2tbsp chopped parsley
1/4 tsp anise seed
1 tsp salt
2 cloves garlic 1/4 tsp
1 tsp crushed oregano

Note: remember to remove squirrel rib bones

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2009 at 00:03
You may like this better with meat other than squirrel but I must say that one of the most memorable meals I had growing up was when my grandmother decided to add the squirrel meat from left overs into the spagetti and failed to remove all the rib bones.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2009 at 08:37
I always wondered.........People really eat squirrel?  Does it taste like chicken?
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2009 at 08:38
I have eaten more than a few grey's, don't think they taste like chicken but they have a good mild flavour.
God save the Empire!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2009 at 16:06
For an entire semester in college, my roommate and I pretty much lived on squirrel stew.  Kept a pot going all the time. 
I'd rather just let the cats eat them, now...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 01:12
If animals didnt come in the single serving size the human race would have perished a long time ago because refrigeration is a fairly recent invention.  I have eaten quite a few squirrels when growing up at my grandfathers house.  Note when he came to Texas from Kentucky he took the train as far as the track had been laid which was Coleman Tx.  For a while he had a ranch that is now part of Big Bend National Park and Pancho Villa's men used to come work the fields for him in the summer and go back and fight the war in Mexico in the winter.   He understood the concept of hunting as a means of obtaining food.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - August/10/2009 at 01:13

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 06:46
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

If animals didnt come in the single serving size the human race would have perished a long time ago because refrigeration is a fairly recent invention.  I have eaten quite a few squirrels when growing up at my grandfathers house.  Note when he came to Texas from Kentucky he took the train as far as the track had been laid which was Coleman Tx.  For a while he had a ranch that is now part of Big Bend National Park and Pancho Villa's men used to come work the fields for him in the summer and go back and fight the war in Mexico in the winter.   He understood the concept of hunting as a means of obtaining food.
 That's pretty cool, Wes.
 I had never really considered small game as designed into 'single-serving portions' before, but it's true when you think about it.
 We ate a lot of them while I was growing up. They are actually pretty good meat if prepared properly. Mild and sweet, very lean -you can't let the meat cook dry. Stewed or pan fried with lots of gravy works pretty well.

BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 15:25
You guys have me interested in trying some.  How do you think it would be if I just put it on the smoker and let it sit for a few hours?
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 16:42
 Might get a bit tough if it dries out unless you wrap it in bacon to keep it basted in fat. Can't hurt to try, though. The bacon would somewhat over power the very mild squirrel meat, but should still taste good.
You might even want to try the beer-can drunken  chicken thing with it too, if you feel adventuresome. Can't see why that wouldn't turn out well, keeping it moist while smoking/cooking.
 There isn't a lot of meat on a gray, the big fox sqirrels have a lot more meat.
 Forget the rib cage on any, but be sure to save the backstraps.

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 21:23
Dude anyone who can drink enough beer to eat raw oysters can eat squirrel.  I have almost always  had it pan fried with gravy and add biscuits and real butter.  Eating the meat off the bones is similar to eating the meat off of a chicken wing. I'm not saying the flavor is the same but it is certainly not strong odd in any way. It's not beef pork or chicken but its just a different animal and beats hell out eating of fish. (which also come in the single serving size)   There is a reason why ---  survival.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2009 at 23:13
I tried a squirrel I shot up here in Montana once.  Ruined the whole stew.  But that could just be my bad cooking.  Might have to try it again.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic