OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rings for 1" Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote applevalleyjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rings for 1" Scope
    Posted: August/03/2009 at 17:23
I am strongly considering the purchase of a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 scope to sit on a REM700 SA 308.  The rifle currently has a Badger 20MOA rail and Badger 30MM rings.  I would need 1" rings.  Any recommendations from the field would be appreciated.
Illegitimus non carborundum
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 18:05
Those rings are among the best in the industry, I'd advise you get 30mm-to-1" adapters and keep the rings you have.

You can get cheaper rings, or more expensive rings, but you can't get better than Badger.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 18:33
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Those rings are among the best in the industry, I'd advise you get 30mm-to-1" adapters and keep the rings you have.

You can get cheaper rings, or more expensive rings, but you can't get better than Badger.
+ Plus 1, word for word...

Edited by RONK - August/03/2009 at 18:34
applevalleyjoe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote applevalleyjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 18:53
I hadn't even thought about adapters...thanks fellas...will do
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 19:10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 19:19
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

http://swfa.com/Badger-Ordnance-Ring-Reducers-C599.aspx

Best $37 you could possibly spend!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 19:21
By the way, what will be the purpose of the rifle?

20X on the top end is allot, will this be a strictly bench gun?

Likewise, 6.5 on the bottom end is also allot, tough to make close-up shots quickly and well.

Let us know what you plan to do with this set-up; or don't, it'd be hard to imagine your being unhappy with the Conquest either way.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote applevalleyjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 20:31
Trying out a little distance shooting but principally, my eyes are old and tired and I need all of the help that I can get...no hunting with this rifle.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 20:35
Rancid,

Not contesting anything, but would like to know how you know that Badgers are among the best mounts made. (And I own and use Badgers.)
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 22:22

Oh he's just biased like me because we each spent 168 bucks for a set and can't admit that they may not be the best!

Hey there's no arguing that they're the HEAVIEST, and heavy has to count for something, not?   Yep, Thought So     Big Smile
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 22:27
Hey Joe, is this the scope your looking at..

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-65-20x50-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P2095.aspx
have you looked at this one?
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-45-30x50-Elite-6500-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P13141.aspx
30mm main tube and doesn't need spacers.
if this is strictly a range queen the bushy may be the way to go. IMHO.

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 10:01
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

Rancid,

Not contesting anything, but would like to know how you know that Badgers are among the best mounts made. (And I own and use Badgers.)

I've seen the posts - and the reports by well-known smiths saying Badgers fail more than anything else.

I've been using Badgers for a very long time and never had a ring or rail failure.  I have turned many friends to Badgers, no ring or rail failures there either.  My beloved Marine Corps uses Badgers (some failures there, but Marines are tasked with destroying things.)

Within the military and LE sniper community, Badger is considered the best, with many, MANY very happy customers.

I know there have been failures, I read the story awhile back about the smith who said they fail constantly and he won't use them; that simply has not been the industry-wide experience.

It's not a slight on anyone, it's not propaganda I wish to impose on the masses;  Badger has a well-deserved reputation in those circles where I move as being the best.  Maybe my circles are seeing something the opposite of the entire shooting community, but I don't think so.

You are more than welcome to post your opinions and recommend something else.  I am curious to know what you consider the best tactical base/rings and why.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 11:13

Rancid,

Thanks for the reply. As I noted in my post, I wasn't contesting anything, just wanted to know how you came to that conclusion. You explained it very well.

I don't a favorite "tactical" mount, mostly because I am primarily a hunter and thus mostlyt use non-tactical mounts. My favorite is probably Talley, but there are some other good hunting-scope mounts. I have just started trying some tactical-style mounts, among them Badger, and so far so good.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 11:54
Understood.

Badger makes a heavy mount and not ideally suited to most hunting applications.  I too run Talleys and like them very much.

For a heavy rifle and a heavy scope, Badger makes a great product.  There are many cheaper alternatives, a few more expensive but none - that I know of - better.

And this punctuates the value of Optics Talk: many points of view, many frames of reference, MUCH knowledge and experience.

John, thanx for your contributions here, your patronage is appreciated and valued.

Back to the original post: keep the rings, get inserts, be happy, shoot often, don't miss.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote applevalleyjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 12:03
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Hey Joe, is this the scope your looking at..

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-65-20x50-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P2095.aspx
have you looked at this one?
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-45-30x50-Elite-6500-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P13141.aspx
30mm main tube and doesn't need spacers.
if this is strictly a range queen the bushy may be the way to go. IMHO.

I own some Zeiss glass and a set of Russian made binocs made using the East German Zeiss glass and both are ABSOLUTELY crystal clear! I've looked through Swarovki, Leupold, Nikon, Leica, and Valdada and prefer Zeiss. I don't like the fact that these are 1"...I understand that 30mm are somewhat better in some way(?). I have no experience with Bushnell though I hear the 6500 series are mighty fine. I would have to look through a set but I doubt that they would beat the Zeiss for clarity
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 18:38
 Well-stated Rancid!
 My love affair with Badgers started when I opened the box in which I got my first and so far only pair of Badger rings. I had serious misgivings over the cost, but the fit, finish and solid feel told me all I needed to know to eliminate any buyer's remorse I may have had.
 I doubt I COULD get them to fail if I wanted to.
 I would be interested in hearing about the alleged failures of such. Unless there was a dimensional machining error in a batch of them, I honestly can't imagine how they could fail.

Breakage would certainly requre something on the order of tire-changing tools...

edited for sentence structure.

Edited by RONK - August/04/2009 at 21:33
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 21:44
[/QUOTE]  by applevalleyjoe
 I own some Zeiss glass and a set of Russian made binocs made using the East German Zeiss glass and both are ABSOLUTELY crystal clear! I've looked through Swarovki, Leupold, Nikon, Leica, and Valdada and prefer Zeiss. I don't like the fact that these are 1"...I understand that 30mm are somewhat better in some way(?). I have no experience with Bushnell though I hear the 6500 series are mighty fine. I would have to look through a set but I doubt that they would beat the Zeiss for clarity
[/QUOTE]

I doubt you'll get much argument on this forum.
Quite a few Zeiss fans here.

Regarding the 30mm advantage- it's generally agreed that the biggest advantage to a 30mm tube is that it allows the manufacturer more room internally in which to gain more windage and elevation adjustability, if all else is equal. There is a slight advantage in ridgidity as well. (Again, that is only if all else is equal, which is seldom the case.)

There is little if any gain in low-light performance according to many experts, but I've heard compelling arguments to the contrary as well, so choose a side and run with it!

Edited by RONK - August/04/2009 at 21:48
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic