OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

House Buddy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: House Buddy
    Posted: August/03/2009 at 14:50
One of my house guests ,we have them in the basement and attic.

They eat field mice,frogs ect ,non venomous snake,it will coil, rattle it's tail and will bite multiple times....i know.
It's a Black Racer.(almost 4 foot)

I'm classic shag nasty type.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 15:12
 Yea,they can be moody!  Got one that lives in my garage.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 15:55
Snakes are good, just not in the house.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 16:05
They are fast too. We have two that hang out in our landscaped areas.Big Grin
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 17:43
Boy are the racers fast.  I accidently stepped on one that was hidden in leaves, he toke off like a bat outa h#ll....scard teh Bajesus out of me.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 21:59
I dont like snakes and I've killed thousands of them the are the perfect target for pistols.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 22:06

I hate snakes, (CAN'T HELP IT!) but I have to admit that some of them are very pretty.

That one looks like it was made from recycled tires.  Dead
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 07:08
Usually the pretty ones are teh dangerous ones.
Except the Cotton Mouth moccassin.  He too looks like a fat old tire
and most have a very nasty disposition!  They are one of the few
snakes that will attack when ticked off instead of flea.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 13:23
I believe that is actually a King snake. The white stripes are faded as will happen when they age. But they are still slightly visible. Great snake to have around, they eat poisonous snakes, and vermin as well.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 13:33
Eastern Kingsnake:

God save the Empire!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 13:37
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 13:54
Whew, I was afraid to open this one. That's a nice picture AJ.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 14:07
  Here's my house buddy: her name's Zukee (Ball Python)

Sorry about the pic but she recently ate and I didn't want to handle her. She's 4 1/2' and 19yrs old. When my daughter got her she was the size of a nightcrawler.

Edited by 300S&W - August/04/2009 at 15:31
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 15:20
Waht does she eat?  Mice, rats, rabbits, small pesky children?
--Thomas Jefferson

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 15:31
  Tender Budperms.

4-6 small mice about every 2wks at her most active time of the yr.  She could eat like two big rats but she's always been timid and they could hurt her.
     My daughter had a male Burmese Python (Zang) that could eat 3-4 large rabbits but he was 13' when she gave him to a breeder. He got to 19' when he had to be put down for a brain tumor.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 15:46
19 feet, that is huge for a burmese, wow.  My son had one that got up to about 3 foot before it decided to eat one of his football tube socks!  Snake died of athletes toncils!

My sister used to work at the Baltimore zoo.  To prevent the feed critters from hurting the snakes the would put lives mice and rats into heavy plastic bags then use a vacuum to suck out the air. 5 minutes later you have dead but still warm & fresh feed.  A lot of snakes would not eat cold critters, they hunt by taste and heat sensing.

ps  I actually like little kids, if they are not totally spoiled!

Edited by budperm - August/04/2009 at 15:48
--Thomas Jefferson

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 15:54
  Yea,19' is big but they've been recorded as reaching close to 30'. What your sis did probably works most of the time but we tried it with Zukee and she wouldn't go for it until we moved the mouse around as if it was alive.  Only time she got bit was when one of the kids put more than one mouse in at a time.

Edited by 300S&W - August/04/2009 at 15:55
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 16:14
It is fairly common for constrictors to want only moving prey since their capture dinner live.  A rabbit can inflict some serious damage with its hind toenails before the snake wraps it up tight. Some rats ususlly the dark haird ones are pretty vicious fighters too.  Then you have some strange love affairs too.  My son's burmese fell in love with a white mouse.  That mouse and snake used to curl up together to sleep.  The mouse lived in that cage for 3 months and watched several fellow mice meet their maker.  All was fine until my sons friend put his burmese in the same cage.  Shortly there after...no more white mouse.  My son's burmese didn't eat for 5 weeks after that.  strange stuff!

Edited by budperm - August/04/2009 at 16:16
--Thomas Jefferson

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 16:29
  Wow,sounds like Disney stuff.  I've seen Zukee go nose to nose many times with a mouse and I just have to take it out til she's hungrier.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 16:33
Yeah, I live a fairtale life! Laugh

That one is probably going to cost me!
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic