OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Advice on a new rifle scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njsportsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on a new rifle scope
    Posted: August/03/2009 at 09:13
 I was invited to Colorado to do some hunting. In talking to my friend it looks like it's time for a new gun and scope. The rifle I know what I want but, the scope I need a little help. I would love some ideas for scopes. Don't know what to expect but, I assume it'll be long range shooting 300-500 yd shots. He has filled me in a little bit. I am pumped. Because I am used to New Jersey and PA. hunting. Something different I am up for the challenge. So I want to make sure I have the right gear. 
njsportsman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njsportsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 09:15
 Can't figure out how to edit. I wanted to add I am looking to stay around $300-$400.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 09:17
Need input...  type of rifle, mounting setup, price range you are looking...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njsportsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 09:30
 Looking at a Remington 700 or 770. Mounting setup low profile . Weaver or standard base mount.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 09:50
Any particular caliber in mind?
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 09:52
Please be realistic about what you can achieve within that budget and your shooting experience (pardon me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you haven't shot at longer ranges while hunting). Except for antelope (and even then it's rarely necessary) there aren't that many shots that need to go beyond 300 yards so that makes a $300-400 scope much more feasible. You might, for example, consider a high-quality Leupold FX-II fixed 4X scope but will probably be better off with a 3-9X or similar variable.

With a 30-06, you can have a max. point blank range inside an 8" kill zone out to 350 yards. If you want to go beyond that, I strongly urge considering a more capable scope - one with target turrets. In conjunction with a decent rangefinder you can make a shot past that distance. But not without plenty of practice and getting good at compensating for the wind. If you are willing to make that commitment and see yourself doing this more than once, here's a great scope: http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P41044.aspx - for $600.
Reaction time is a factor...
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 09:56
I suggest a M700 in 30-06 with a 3-9 Bushnell Elite 4200.Your mounts can be a medium base Weaver.Your hunting set-up should run around $800.Being from the North East most gun hunting is with shot guns loaded with slugs.  
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njsportsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 10:04
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

300 Win Mag.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njsportsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 10:12
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

Please be realistic about what you can achieve within that budget and your shooting experience (pardon me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you haven't shot at longer ranges while hunting). Except for antelope (and even then it's rarely necessary) there aren't that many shots that need to go beyond 300 yards so that makes a $300-400 scope much more feasible. You might, for example, consider a high-quality Leupold FX-II fixed 4X scope but will probably be better off with a 3-9X or similar variable.

With a 30-06, you can have a max. point blank range inside an 8" kill zone out to 350 yards. If you want to go beyond that, I strongly urge considering a more capable scope - one with target turrets. In conjunction with a decent rangefinder you can make a shot past that distance. But not without plenty of practice and getting good at compensating for the wind. If you are willing to make that commitment and see yourself doing this more than once, here's a great scope: http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P41044.aspx - for $600.

Your right I never took a shot past a hundred yards. I am just going by what this guy told me he has taken 500 - 600 yd shots. He said most shots will be within 300 - 350 yds. this will be all new for me. As a matter of fact I won't be doing this till December and possibility not till next year because of the cost of the trip and needing new equipment. Which gives me a lot of time for practice. I want to but the equipment now and practice using it and get used to taking those shots. I am a PA hunter and mainly shoot within 50 yds  occasionally you get a 100 yd shot. In Jersey it's shotgun only. Looking for more adventure and to take my hunting to the next level.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 10:14
Try to stay with the 700. For the scope, I'd go with the 4200 3-9, Nikon Primos 3-9 or a Burris Full Field II 3-9.

Not a member of Cherry Ridge by any chance?

Edited by Roy Finn - August/03/2009 at 10:16
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 15:45

I agree with Roy on this one, you can't good wrong with any or the above choices and you'll have to spend twice as much to get something better.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njsportsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 18:23
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Not a member of Cherry Ridge by any chance?
No how about you. To rich for my wallet. I was told to stay away from guided hunts. Not this place inparticular but, in general. They take your money.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 18:25
Was referring to Cherry Ridge Gun Club in Oak Ridge, NJ
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 18:35
Originally posted by njsportsman njsportsman wrote:

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

300 Win Mag.

Oh, a 3X9 or a 3.5X10....40 mm should still mount low....
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 20:19

Just out of curiousity, what rifles/scopes do you have now?

I have hunted quite a bit in the West for 40-some years and haven't found that shooting beyond 400 yards or a .300 magnum is necessary for general big game hunting.

safariarms man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 21:16
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

Just out of curiousity, what rifles/scopes do you have now?

I have hunted quite a bit in the West for 40-some years and haven't found that shooting beyond 400 yards or a .300 magnum is necessary for general big game hunting.

Good question.  I have never hunted in the West, but have used a 300 Win. Mag. with 150 grain Remington Core Lokt cartridges to shoot many a whitetail in NC.  Versatile cartridge for anyone who is not recoil shy or who has a flinching problem.  However, I have to admit, I love to use my smaller calibers, such a 243, 260 and 7mm-08 to take whitetail also.  My problem is, I just like to shoot and when loaded with the proper bullet, many calibers can take many game, large and small.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 22:08
I agree, A friend has a 7mm-08 that I have worked with. The more I shoot that caliber the more I like it.  Although, I only own .308s......go figure. 
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 22:19
Not sure why guys still recommend guns like the 300 WM to guys heading west and Canada as well. On my first trip to Sask I asked my outfitter what guys generally used up there for whitetails. He replied 7mm and 30 cal mags. Not needing an excuse to buy a new gun I went out and got a Remington 700 APR in 300 WM. Even though the deer up there are much bigger in body weight than elsewhere, it's still a whitetail.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 23:42
I would suggest a Tikka rifle in either 30-06 or .270 if you really want a 300 win mag what you will find it that your ammo cost four times as much as 30-06 or .270 ammo which is a lot to carry the same bullet about 300 ft per second faster than the 30-06.  These two calibers have probably accounted for more dead animals than any other centerfire caliber. The 7mm08 is a fine choice of calibers and the recoil is quite mild if recoil is an issue.  I prefer the stainless with black composit stock for a hunting gun. It is nice to know starting out that your TIKKA rifle has a three shots in one inch at 100 yds guarantee.  Some rifles shoot well some dont.  All remmingtons can be made to shoot well but it can become time consuming and expensive to have the action trued barrel floated have it glass bedded re-cut the crown rework the trigger etc etc.  Save yourself some aggrivation or if you must buy Remmington buy an R5 Mil Spec .308 or 300 WM.  For the scope this is a hunting gun not a sniper rifle or target rifle this is the right scope for a lot of reasons:
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$409.95 
Add Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope to Cart 
If the center x is 200 the next dot should be close to 300 the second dot 400 and the point where the crosshair goes thin to thick below that about 500. Practice will tell you exactly what you are getting.   Since it is a fixed 6x the hold over marks always work where if you buy a varible power scope with balistic reticle the hold over marks only work at the highest power.  So a guy buys a 4..5 to14 x40 scope with a balistic reticle and the hold over marks only work at the highest power. What happens in low light early morning or late at night is you have to dial that power ring down to cause the image to look brighter.  Bright is 6x with a 42mm objective or 7x with a 50mm objective or 8x with a 56mm objective  lower powers will be bright and higer powers will be increasingly darker in low light.  Hunt a scope with lots of bells and whistles and something is sure to be out of adjustment just when you need to be shooting.  One can get on target fairly quickly at 6x even at fairly close distances and 6x at 600 yds is like open sights at 100 yds.  Fixed power scopes are very tough.  There have been several good suggestions made and if you must have a variable power scope the 3-9x42 Super Sniper is a fine choice and the Bushnell 4200 scopes would be my pick in a traditional scope as the glass is quite nice. If more money was involved Zeiss Conquest or a Trijicon 2.5-10x56 with tritium & fiber optic illumination.
There truely is no substitute for practice on the range with your equipment at the distances you wish to shoot.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 00:02
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=18469   thread on rifle recoil by caliber

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic