OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Retumbo loads for a .25-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie-bolted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Retumbo loads for a .25-06
    Posted: August/02/2009 at 15:36
I was inquiring about what charges some may use for Retumbo in 25-06 for 117-gr Sierra SBT's. So far I'm still in early experiment stages with this rifle and wanted to see what others may be using..

I have a 22.5" bbl with a 1:10 twist and wanted to get around 2900 or more fps.

any suggestions?  thanks in advance.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2009 at 16:08
 About all I can do is give you Hodgdon's data. (doesn't give bbl length) 
   start 56gr at 2876
   max  60.5C at 3079

I consider Retumbo a bit slow for the .25-06 as you can get more than 3100 fps with a 117gr bullet with faster powders. Of course the data shows you should be able to get the velocity your wanting. Can't argue with that.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Charlie-bolted View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie-bolted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 07:29

Thanks 300S&W,

I now see the site. I read somewherz that Retumbo and RE-25 perform well in the .25-06. Even though they are magnum powders, the .25-06 acts like a magnum.

Now, I am confused again. If I compare Sierra manual RE-25 data with Hodgdon Retumbo data, its sort of odd and doesn’t make sense to me, since RE-25’s burn rate is only slightly slower then Retumbo.

Sierra manual starting load for RE-25 is something like 44.8. If these are similar powders, wouldn’t the starting loads be at least fairly similar for the same wt bullet? These are not even close. (I was also able to find Nosler data and they recommend 53.5 starting Retumbo load for their 120-gr partition which kind of confirms).

Maybe I am just nitpicking the data and overanalyzing this?? I am just leary of starting too low or too high due to problems in the past.

Thanks again.Smile

some days we just get stuck and bogged down, Some days all u can do is smile and wait for someone to kindly remove your butt from the hole you find it wedged into.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 07:59

If for nothing else at least for simplicities sake don't compare load data of supposedly similar burn rate powders.  Use the data shown and you'll be fine.

I like Nosler data due to the fact that they publish data developed with pressure bbl's. This means that the bbl and chamber are minimum spec and most of the time will produce higher pressure than a production bbl when using the same amount of powder. If you want to you can average out the starting loads for Retumbo and use it but it's not necessary.

I've been using the .25-06 for 30yrs and it's velocities rival my .300 magnum to the point that the trajectories of my loads in each are the same.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic