OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

j. unterl 4x on 1950 model 70

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote le-idiot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: j. unterl 4x on 1950 model 70
    Posted: August/02/2009 at 14:06
If I turn the top sight setscrew counterclockwise, will it move the crosshairs UP?

Is 1/4 turn OK, or is that extreme to center at 100 yards if the sight is about 6 inches low, but otherwise center target?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2009 at 22:57
I wish I could tell you about that, I'll do my best. Clicks could be either 1/4moa or 1/2 moa or 1moa.  One moa minute of angle moves the scope setting by 1 inch at 100 yds or 2 inches at 200 etc like 1 moa is 10 in at 1000.  Some scopes are counter clockwise going up and Zeiss is clockwise going up so try one direction move it 10 clicks and see where the next one goes. A hour on the range will tell you more about it than anything else. Take a piece of scratch paper and make note  on which direction you moved it and what the result was.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
le-idiot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote le-idiot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 07:03
Many thanx, I'll let you know this Saturday after the range.  The screw is surrounded by a sunburst of lines (degrees?)nand I moved the screw !/4 turn counterclockwise or about 3 or four marks from 9 o'clock to 6 o'clock.  The lines might better correspond with a clockface?

Best regards,
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 18:45
I never had a Unertl scope.  My old Shooter's Bibles say that the Unertl scopes ( 2 3/4;  4X; 6X )  have 1 inch divisions on the dial.  I bet they don't "click".  A friction system---one inch per " line "......

I may be wrong, but they might not be permanently centered reticles, either....I don't know.  You sure want to Center the Reticle and then mount the scope dead center in your rings so that you don't "adjust " your crosshairs off to the side of the field of view when twirling the windage and elevation knobs.   Shocked
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 19:06
 Are we sure it is an internally-adjusted scope, or is the O.P. refering to an adjustable mount system?
 Just wondering; no expert on old Unertls...

If it is a non-adjustable scope with an adjustable rear base, and the top screw is a right-hand thread, turning that screw out (counterclockwise) will raise the rear end of the scope, and your point of impact will rise with it.  It will appear to lower the crosshairs on the target if that adjustment is made without moving the rifle in the sandbags at all.
 How much it moves the poi on the target per revolution of the screw will be dependant on the spacing between the front and rear rings, and the pitch of the screw threads.
 (And of course the distance to the target!)
le-idiot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote le-idiot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2009 at 16:02
I went to the range this AM and had already adjusted the scope, top setscrew from 9 oclock to 6 oclock (the previous week the Model 70 was shooting at least 12 inched low at 300 yards and about 6 inches low or more at 100 yards.  Left to right was OK.

The rifle shot high just off the target (18 inch circle?) at 300 yards aiming dead center.  I moved the set screw one mark clockwise as my original adjustment would have been three marks total clounterclockwise after it was shooting low.

In spite of a constant ten mph wind from left to right the rounds hit a few inches right of dead center after I shot a few high.  2 at two oclock. then 2 at 3 oclock.  then as the wind subsided one slightly left of center.  then another close to the last.  There was an experienced shooter next to me with superior optics (12x) shooting .308 and he said with the wind, I couldn't really do much better.  On his 100 yd target, I was dead center with the crosshairs about 4 inches low of dead center on his target.

the Model 70 and Unertls received some compliments from the older guys at the range, but it is clear that newer equipment and optics are easier to to shoot.   I sighted on several of my fellow shooters weapons and saw the 300 yd target clearer and the rifles (.308s) were customized for target shooting.

However, the Model 70 and the Unertls scope did fine and now handloading, 600 yds targets and my experience with the weapon will tell the true story.  I hadn't shot a rifle since the M14 and M16 in name except for my qual at work with a 12 guage pump (military).

I like the Model 70 and I'm going to snap in with the Unertl as long as it stays tightly mounted and I can handload the ammo consistently.  Stand by for results at 600 yards on the same 18 inch? target.

thanx for everyone's advice...

The set screw for the vertical and horizontal are protected by  threaded metal covers.  The Weaver mounts are solid bands with  
le-idiot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote le-idiot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2009 at 16:14
(cont'd) solid bands with slotted exposed scews into the original weapon.  The Weaver mounts were tight and I seemed Ok (center) on the horizontal...anyone want to guess which way to turn the set screw for left to right?   If counterclockwise is up on the top screw lowering the front of the scope then counterclockwise on the side setscrew would move the the scope right and the crosshairs left!  Think so?  Also gauge and some other words will be spelled differently from time to time..Thanx again.
le-idiot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote le-idiot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2009 at 12:25
Just returned from the range with the Model 70 Unterl 4x.

Shot 2 rounds with 10 mph wind left to right at 300 yds.
1st  shot aimed dead center with wind as above--went right and a little high off target.
2d shot aimed left and slightly low of center--round went dead center.

At 600 yards on a larger circular target fired 2 rounds:

1 st shot aimed left of center and slightly high of middle--round went low and center of target.

2d shot aimed top pf target and slightly left of center--couldn't see hit on sighting scope ($30 wonder) but heard it plunk and no dust.

returned to 300yd and fired final round into same wind--round went just right after aiming just left of center.

this is a great old rifle and scope.  I'm finished adjusting it until 600 yds is visualized by a better sighting scope...stay tuned.

le-idiot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote le-idiot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2009 at 15:16
Just back from the range.
5 shots at 300 yds aiming just left and low of dead center.

3 slightly left or just right of dead center (4 inches?).

4 th aimed dead center, went just off and above target at riht 2 o'clock.

5th aimed left and center again, round hit right of dead center couple of inches.

I'm going to forego any adjustments.  150 grain winchester factory loads.

Any comments.  which way would you turn the side Unertl screw and how many?
le-idiot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote le-idiot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2009 at 13:06
Shot 10 rounds at 300 yds last Sunday 8/30. 20 mph wind from left to right that slowed every now and then.  Here in the desert we usually have some kind of wind.

My elevation seems good but with the wind always left to right below the berms (12 ft high) I shoot slightly low of target center (couple of inches) and left as needed.

150 grain factory winchester loads are usually just off target left and low and then the last six or seven I can move to the target center depending on the wind.

My last adjustment was to raise the vertical one mark and that put me just low of dead center at 300 yds.  I think it needs one mark turn on the horizontal to move the round right, but with the wind and consistent good groupings (for me) with the 4x I don't want to screw with it.  If up was counter clockwise then right would be counter clockwise?

I watch folk shooting at 100 and 200 yards with a lot of good optics and groupings that aren't much better than mine.   They adjust their scopes often and shoot mostly 308.

I'm shooting 30-06.

Lot of copper in my barrel.  I'll try some kr-12.
Good luck out there.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic