OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Delema Help!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddog68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Delema Help!!!!
    Posted: August/01/2009 at 02:31

Hello,

I am new to this great site and I have a few questions that I was told could be answered here.

I have my Enfield P-17 sporterized 30-06 with Weaver bases and Weaver quad lock rings. After last year my scope has started to slide forward, after changing everything except the scope I figure it has to be the scope.

My son who is the proud owner of his Savage 200 270 cal needs a base and ring and scope set up.

I was looking at Mueller scopes and Nikon Bushmaster. But I have also been told that the Japanese and Chinese have also been putting out some decent scopes for less money.

Any suggestion or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2009 at 05:30
I still believe the nikon "primos"3-9x40 and the bushnell 4200 3-9x40 offer the best optics for the money.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2009 at 05:31
  First off Mike,WELCOME to OT!!

For a base /ring set-up I'd just go with the 1pc Talley Lightweights and be done with it.
  As far as a scope suggestion goes,a bit of info would be helpful.  Of course how much you want to spend would help but also the type of hunting to be done and the expected shooting distances. I will say that for the money the two scopes mentioned above are going to be hard to beat.

Edited by 300S&W - August/01/2009 at 05:39
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
safariarms man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2009 at 11:13
1+ on the Talley 1 piece lightweight rings/mounts.  Scope recommendations are also excellent.  The Bushnell has rainguard, which may or may not be important to you.
onfinal View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onfinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2009 at 11:41
It is my understanding that Mueller scopes are both Japanese and Chinese--Japanese lenses sent to China for final scope assembly.

I just bought one and have mounted it and rough zeroed it, but have not been able to get to the range yet. It seems fairly well made and, for the $, is surprisingly bright and clear just aiming it out my kitchen window.

I will be able to give a better report after a visit to the range, if anyone is interested.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2009 at 11:42

I bought some Weaver quad lock rings and they were the absolute worst rings I have ever had so I threw them away. Talley makes nice rings. Warne makes nice rings.  As for a low dollar scope that would be a reliable choice I will suggest a couple that I like:

Bushnell 1.5-6x42 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope 4A w/ Illuminated Dot Bushnell 1.5-6x42 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 731642M
  • Matte
  • 4A w/ Illuminated Dot
  • 30mm
$149.95 
Add Bushnell 1.5-6x42 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart 
Bushnell 3-9x40 Trophy Rifle Scope DOA 600 Bushnell 3-9x40 Trophy Rifle Scope
Stock # - 733948B
  • Matte
  • DOA 600
  • 1"
  • Centerfire
$119.95 

Bushnell 3-9x40 Trophy Rifle Scope Multi-X Bushnell 3-9x40 Trophy Rifle Scope
Stock # - 733948PM
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Free Bushnell 20x50 Spotting Scope
$89.95 
Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope
Stock # - SI39X40MD
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 1"
$149.95 
Add Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope to Cart 
Weaver 2.5-7x32 Classic V Rifle Scope Weaver 2.5-7x32 Classic V Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849399
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
$159.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2009 at 22:03
Originally posted by onfinal onfinal wrote:

It is my understanding that Mueller scopes are both Japanese and Chinese--Japanese lenses sent to China for final scope assembly.

I just bought one and have mounted it and rough zeroed it, but have not been able to get to the range yet. It seems fairly well made and, for the $, is surprisingly bright and clear just aiming it out my kitchen window.

I will be able to give a better report after a visit to the range, if anyone is interested.
I own several sport dot models and an Eradicator and you are correct.  Both are optically excellent with reproducible clicks on the turrets.  My only complaint with the Eradicator, is that the poi changes with the magnification level.  Specifically when you go from about 12 or so to 24.  If I remember correctly it is about a 4 inch shift to the left and up.  It is on a Savage Lo Pro 22-250 that I have not shot in a while.  The rifle groups less than 0.5 moa groups with factory ammo in a rest.  I have never contacted Mueller about the scope, but I may do so in the future when I get the time.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2009 at 22:35
 Maddog- regarding your P-17 and your scope slippage problem;
Unless you have a wierd undersized -tube scope, I seriously doubt that the scope is the source of your troubles.
You have bad rings or good rings that aren't installed correctly.
 Blaming the scope for slippage under recoil is kind of like claiming that you have a defective horse who keeps breaking his rotten baler twine tether rope!
onfinal View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onfinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2009 at 22:55
Safari.........does the poi change with magnification level change on your Sport Dots too, or just the Eraticator?
maddog68 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddog68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2009 at 17:59
The scope on my P-17 is on old Weaver 3-9x32mm and it has been around for awhile. I have changed the rings and the bases and it still moves. I don't know what else it could be. As for the scopes I still don't know which one to purchase, the ones you guys suggested all look great but I read other reviews and there are a lot of people who don't like them so with out being able to actually hold one in my hand and look throught it I just don't know. I did get a chance to hold a Nikon Bushmaster 3-9x40mm and man was that a nice scope but it was kind of a lot of money for my son's first scope. Maybe I will just have to bite the bullet and pony up the dough.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2009 at 18:06
Originally posted by onfinal onfinal wrote:

Safari.........does the poi change with magnification level change on your Sport Dots too, or just the Eraticator?
To be honest, I have never checked it on the sport dot models.  Because of the large mag. range on the Eradicator, I sighted it in on at about 12x and then after getting good groups, move up on the magnification.  Usually with a 3x9 scope, I sight in at 9x and really do not re-check it at a lower magnification.  I will have to dig out one of the rifles sporting the sport dot and check it.  However, that goes with most all of my similarly powered scopes, ie, 3x9.
maddog68 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddog68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2009 at 22:32

That is the best way to sight in a 3-9? I usually never have it on 9x, most of the time it ranges from 3x to around 6x or 7x.

Safari what scopes are you using? I was just reading on another web site that deals with the Savage 270 cal and the shooter and author said he put on a Simmons 3-9 and it seemed to fit perfectly, he said after sighting it in and shot about 500 rounds it has never moved.  I always thought that Simmons, Tasco, Bushnell, BSA and some others were the cheapie models and that is why they are the price they are, but it seems to me that they have moved up in the ranks and are starting to compete with other.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 10:25
If you want a good lower priced scope look at the Bushnell Legend 3-9x.  It is a very good scope for the money, mine has served me well and I would definitely buy another one if I were on a budget and could not afford the 4200.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
maddog68 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddog68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 10:38
Thanks I will check it out right now.
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 10:40
Check out the Sightron's.  The SIIs are pretty good for the $.  My opinion...
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 15:48
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Maddog- regarding your P-17 and your scope slippage problem;
Unless you have a wierd undersized -tube scope, I seriously doubt that the scope is the source of your troubles.
You have bad rings or good rings that aren't installed correctly.
 Blaming the scope for slippage under recoil is kind of like claiming that you have a defective horse who keeps breaking his rotten baler twine tether rope!

I agree with RONK.  If your scope is slipping, it is the fault of the rings.  Even if the scope tube diameter is a little undersized, there should be enough of a gap between the ring halves when fully tightened to compensate for the variance.

This is assuming you are using the correct diameter rings for your scope in the first place.

You should have no problem with scope slippage if you use quality rings.  The Talleys mentioned are definitely quality rings.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic