OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leatherwood 2-7x32 Scout scope - Any seen one?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TowJumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leatherwood 2-7x32 Scout scope - Any seen one?
    Posted: July/31/2009 at 17:55
http://swfa.com/Leatherwood-ATR-Long-Eye-Relief-Scope-Scopes-C99.aspx

I need a scout scope for my Marlin 336, has anyone seen the Leatherwood 2-7x32?

TowJumper
Macon, Georgia

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2009 at 14:09
TJ................ I haven`t seen one and you probably won`t find anyone who has. However, I do have some scout scope experience. As usual though, price is usually a fair indicator of optical quality.

If you`re shooting the 30-30, I suggest you stick with a low powered fixed scout scope, like the 2.5x Leupold or the 2.75x Burris. They both weigh about 7 oz, as compared with the 12 or 13 oz Leatherwood. A 2.5x will cover any 30-30 hunting range. Without having peeked through a Leatherwood, I`m willing to bet that either the Leupy or the Burris will have the better optical quality and that their extra cost is justified.

If you have the 308 and want some extra magnification, you may want to take a look at the 2.5-8x28 Nikon Monarch UCC EER Encore for another $100 or so above the Leatherwood. I`m also willing to wager that the Nikon`s optical quality will surpass the Leatherwood. 
TowJumper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TowJumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2009 at 16:12
Big Squeeze:

Thanks for the reply.  I have the 30-30.  Currently I have an aimpoint red dot sight (2x) scout mounted on it but this year I am trying to set it up for my 9 yo son.  I put a youth stock on it and he handles it well enough with Reduced Recoil rounds.

He wants to try a more traditional scope to see how he does compared to the aimpoint.  So that is my dilemna - whether to shell out 200+ dollars for a scope he may prefer less than what is already on the Marlin.  

I am an SWFA customer/supported, but I have seen the leatherwood for only around 100 bucks from a reputable online dealer.  Not being familiar with the Leatherwood, I thought I would ask.

I am not a fan of cheap scopes... ahem for myself, but my son does not need anything expensive to destroy or fail to maintain.

It's my own fault really, he looked though my Meopta binos and my Zeiss / Bushnell 4200 scopes and decided the Simmons on his 223 was well, you know.  I guess I need to get him decent scope for the Marlin but really did not want to mess is up with a non-scout mount. 

Thanks again.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2009 at 20:57
No real experience with other than the Sporter ART and the M1000.  Both have performed for me much better than expected.  The M1000 glass is as good as my Nikon Laser IRT.  Has the fastest acquisition (on target, ready to shoot) of any scope I have used.  There are some quality problems... inconsistency from product to product.  I've looked through a uni-dial, but not shot with it.  No input there.  The M1000 is on my 30-06 BAR w/BOSS.  I don't expect I will remove it.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic