OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pentax DCF ED vs. Zen Ray

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pentax DCF ED vs. Zen Ray
    Posted: July/30/2009 at 19:45
I have heard a lot of reviews saying that the new Zen Rays have been very close optically to the Bigger Name higher priced binos. Well an 8x43 Zen Ray is a heck of a deal for $400.00. Has anyone seen the newer 8x43 Pentax DCF ED? I saw a guy offering to sell these for just under $600.00. Would there not be enough difference between these two to justify the extra bucks? I will probably go Zen ray just due to the much larger field of view. I was just wondering what you guys thought.
shaocaholica View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaocaholica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 19:56
Originally posted by DAVE44 DAVE44 wrote:

Would there not be enough difference between these two to justify the extra bucks?

From what I've heard, the Zen's are sharper than the Pentax ED so those extra bucks would buy you some blurriness.  I think theres a thread either here or on birdforum.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 22:44
I would have to rate the Zen Ray (or Hawke) optically superior to the Pentax, as much as I have admired Pentax optics over the past decade or more. Whether the Chinese brands are tougher is another question.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaocaholica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 22:50
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

I would have to rate the Zen Ray (or Hawke) optically superior to the Pentax, as much as I have admired Pentax optics over the past decade or more. Whether the Chinese brands are tougher is another question.

It would be hard to say whats better with respect to "toughness" without a good controlled test.  Anecdotes don't really cut it unless the exact same thing happens to 2 different binos.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2009 at 10:51
I think that with any new product, regardless of the image, that it is reasonable for questions to be raised over the ultimate durability of the binocular.  New is just that, new, and Z-R, like anybody else will sink or swim, largely on anectdotal evidence.  I don't think there is a standard "bash it till it quits" test for binoculars like for some riflescopes.  Maybe there should be, but until then, the test will be word of mouth.

I also agree that the image oof the ZEN ED is better than the Pentax ED.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2009 at 13:53
Why is almost everything here about Zen Ray?

Should I sell my Leica's to get a pair?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaocaholica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2009 at 14:17
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Considering how cheap they are, you shouldn't have to.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2009 at 15:31
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I would venture a wild guess it is because the threads are asking direct questions about Zen Ray binoculars.  Smile  That and the fact that there is likely a certain amount of OT curiosity about them since Chris announced his dealership of the Zen Ray Optics.

If you have a Leica (or any other alpha class binocular), you will probably gain little from selling and buying a ZEN ED 2.  But you would loose far less than you might imagine you will.  They are good enough that they are worth arranging for a look at them at least.

However, they are $400 binoculars and I will not go so far as to claim direct equality with the alpha binoculars.  Just that they are very close.

Edited by Klamath - July/31/2009 at 15:31
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2009 at 15:51
Klamath, are you in any way affiliated with Zen Ray?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2009 at 16:51
I have contacts there,  enough to be in fairly regular contact with them, and have participated in some potential product upgrade surveys.  Surveys probably developed from customer lists.  I do know there are a couple of other posters that post here as well as other forums that are in the same position as I am. 

I actually got to know them after I sent them a "somewhat skeptical" e-mail about their company.  That contact resulted in the offer of a free trial of their product, which said something to me about their confidence in the product.  I told them up front that if I chose to post anything about the product, it would be whatever I really thought about it, nothing more or less.  I did not recieve, expect, or ask for anything from Zen Ray.  I wound up buying the binoculars I got for review.

I tried their stuff, and concluded I liked it.  I have said as much, posted as much in various threads and forums about it, and stay with what I have said.  I also have a bunch of other optics besides Z-R.  I just am a guy with an optics hobby. 

So I think Chris and Zen Ray have a potential win-win deal going.
Steve

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2009 at 10:44
I have used a Leica Trinovid 10x42 for the past 10 years and still love it.  That being said, I'm intrigued by this Zen Ray HDII also.  I do believe the primo stuff, i.e. Zeiss FL, Leica HD, Swaro EL, Nikon EDG is WAY overpriced in today's world.  
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 10:12
What's the release date for the Zen II's?  In other words, will I get them before August 15 when whitetails open here?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaocaholica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 11:55
Originally posted by SChunter SChunter wrote:

What's the release date for the Zen II's?  In other words, will I get them before August 15 when whitetails open here?

Theres no hard date.  August 8th is the day thats been talked about the most.  So August 8th + delivery time.  With overnight, you might have it by the 9th.
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 20:05

Klamath turned me on to the Zen Rays, other than that he has no connection with 'em that I can see.

I am going to take a Zen Ray up to Alaska in a couple of weeks to see how it holds up on a black bear hunt under tough conditions.

jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 22:43
Alright, I'm waiting to see what happens up north before springing for a pair! Thunbs Up

Seriously though, I'm still weighing two things:

1) Literally weighing how much more I'm willing to carry into the mountains

2) Zens or Vortex Razors. I'm leaning towards the Zens though.
Reaction time is a factor...
bald1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bald1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 14:01
For those who might be curious, yes the Pentax ED bins are also made in Chine.
-=[Bob]=-
Zen-Ray View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zen-Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 19:52

I am going to take a Zen Ray up to Alaska in a couple of weeks to see how it holds up on a black bear hunt under tough conditions.

Hi, John, have a great trip in Alaska!
Charles
Zen-Ray Optics
Follow us on Facebook
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 20:16
Thanks! I'll give you a report when I get back.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaocaholica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2009 at 20:23

Thanks! I'll give you a report when I get back.

Try not to baby it.  We all want to hear how robust it is Wink
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2009 at 18:04
In my experience it is hard to baby anything if you are hunting hard in Alaska!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic