OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Holographic Sights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hdsofttailrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holographic Sights
    Posted: July/30/2009 at 14:21
Ok all you experts. I value your opinions. I've got a question about holographic sights.

I've got to put some optics on 3 S&W MP15's (got each of us in the family one). I picked up the optics ready models, so they are all flat tops with picatinny rails.
Since I've bought 3 rifles, I need to keep my budget in check. I don't want to go cheap, just middle class. I bought these and will most likely plink and just play around with them. I've got two safes full of guns, so I've got plenty to choose for enjoyment.

First, any generalities of holograhic vs. red dot? I know that is vague, but any opinions expereinces, etc. is what I'm after.

Second, EOTech vs. Bushnell -- is the EOtech a lot better than the Bushy? Keep in mind that this is not a duty gun, just play.

ATN are they any good?

If you search any of the engines for holographic sights you get a million hits. I've looked at many, and most of them jsut look plain cheap (most look so similar that I'm sure they're the same manufacturer with a different label).

I know EOTech is top of the line and have the most models to choose. But, for my use which will be plinking and general paper punching, I don't think I can justify the use.

Thanks in advance and let me know your thoughts. I'll enjoy reading them
Bullwinkle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullwinkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 14:36
Aimpoint Micro T1 is by and far the best on the market from everything Ive read the last couple days. 
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 15:22
Holo sights are somewhat pixilated, red dots usually give a well-defined dot - which I prefer in many situations.

If your gun were for CQB, I'd say it is pure preference; if you gun is for fun and plinking, I'd go with a red dot.

For middle-of-the-road, not "life on the line" optics, I'd recommend:

Burris 1x35 Xtreme Tactical Speeddot Sight 5 MOA Dot Burris 1x35 Xtreme Tactical Speeddot Sight
Stock # - 300205
  • Matte
  • 5 MOA Dot
  • Xtreme Tactical Ring Sold Seperately
$239.95

Vortex 1x30 StrikeFire Red Dot 30mm Sight
Vortex 1x30 StrikeFire Red Dot 30mm Sight
Stock # - SFRDAR15
  • Matte
  • Red/Green Dot
  • 30mm
  • Comes w/ Extra High Ring
$149.95

The Bushy is plastic body, no armor - so not very rugged.

I'd say get a dot and a holo, see who likes what.  If you get a holo, spend the money on an EoTech, I'd get the AA-battery version.

If you want the Vortex, I've got on for sale in the "optics for sale" section, comes with a LaRue QD mount.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=18225

I prefer dots to holos in all but QCB, EoTech is quite fast on target for me, but not great for range work, the reticle ain't well defined enough for my purposes.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - July/30/2009 at 15:23
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 16:46
Trijicon 1x42 Reflex II Dual Illuminated Sight Trijicon 1x42 Reflex II Dual Illuminated Sight
Stock # - RX30
  • 6.5 MOA Amber Dot
  • Free Lens Pen w/ Purchase
$399.95 
Add Trijicon 1x42 Reflex II Dual Illuminated Sight to Cart 
Just imagine - NO BATTERIES to buy.
 As far as red dots there really is a difference and Aimpoint is the only red dot I would buy.
I really like the aimpoint sights in a 2moa dot and would highly recommend going with something like this  Ask SWFA which one will work with those rings or have them suggest a mount.  :
SWFA S.S.A.L.T.  30mm / 1 SWFA S.S.A.L.T. 30mm / 1" Scope Mount
Stock # - SS30HSSALT
  • Matte
  • Comes with 1" Inserts
$59.95 
Add SWFA S.S.A.L.T.  30mm / 1 Scope Mount to Cart 
Burris Xtreme Tactical 1 Burris Xtreme Tactical 1" Rings
Stock # - 420183
  • Matte
  • Extra High (1")
$49.95 
Add Burris Xtreme Tactical 1 Rings to Cart 

Aimpoint 9000SC 30mm Red Dot Sight 2 MOA Dot Aimpoint 9000SC 30mm Red Dot Sight
Stock # - 11417
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
$373.95 
Add Aimpoint 9000SC 30mm Red Dot Sight to Cart 

Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight 2 MOA Dot Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight
Stock # - 11419
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
$373.95 
Add Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight to Cart 
"Aimpoint red dot sights are the original red dot sights. Aimpoints have the widest field of view, are 100% parallax free, and are waterproof and shockproof. You do not have to center the dot; you hit where you aim. They are available in two dot sizes; 4 minute of angle (M.O.A.)= 4" @ 100 yds for precision shooting and 2 minute of angle = 2" @ 100 yds in the 2x versions. Aimpoints have no eye relief so they work on handguns, rifles, or shotguns.

Aimpoint's electronic reflex sights are manufactured using a unique patented double front lens which eliminates the parallax error inherent in other red dot sights. This feature allows the shooter to get on target more quickly and shoot more accurately, because the dot does not need to be centered inside the sight; if the dot is on it, then you will hit it.

Urimaginaryfrnd2009-07-30 16:56:08

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 16:58
Why not put three different optics on them  .  If you were going to do it right you would go:
Stock # - SS30HSSALT
  • Matte
  • Comes with 1" Inserts
$59.95 
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95 
Add SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart
Second gun:
Aimpoint CompM4s 30mm Red Dot Sight 2 MOA Dot Aimpoint CompM4s 30mm Red Dot Sight
Stock # - 12172
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Night Vision Compatible
  • Picatinny Mount Included
  • Spacer Included
  • Killflash Included
  • Bikini cover Included
$728.95 
Add Aimpoint CompM4s 30mm Red Dot Sight to Cart 
Third Gun:
Trijicon 4x32 Acog Rifle Scope Trijicon 4x32 Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA31F
  • .223 Red Chevron BAC
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
  • Free Neoprene Scope Coat w/ Purchase
  • Free Flat Top Adapter w/ Purchase
$1,144.95 
Add Trijicon 4x32 Acog Rifle Scope to Cart 
and add the kill flash for the ACOG and the lens caps for all three of them.  But then why do it right the first time.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - July/30/2009 at 17:04

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 17:25
Good suggestions, all.

I do much prefer Aimpoint dots, but the Vortex and Burris are serviceable - just not as good and not as long on battery life.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 18:30
I started to go with a $250 red dot and then crunched the numbers. $250 for an iffy red dot with iffy durability plus $140 for a decent repeatable quick disconnect mount; or roughly $400 for an EOTech 512.

Another thought is go with a pair of EOTechs for a CQB configuration and then setup one with a quality 1-4x scope. The 1x low end keeps it usable for CQB while the zoom to 4x gives a stand off capability. 
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 18:46
Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope 4A w/ Illuminated Dot Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 731424M
  • Matte
  • 4A w/ Illuminated Dot
  • 30mm
$144.95 
Add Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart
Stock # - SS30HSSALT
  • Matte
  • Comes with 1" Inserts
$59.95 
Here is the least expensive option that I would suggest.  I have one of these scopes and it's a pretty solid scope, bigger and tougher  than it looks in the photo.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 18:57
Originally posted by Bullwinkle Bullwinkle wrote:

Aimpoint Micro T1 is by and far the best on the market from everything Ive read the last couple days. 

Aimpoint slut here.

Here's the T1 on my stick. Had Eo-thingies and other Aimpoints, but this optic is my all time favorite.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 19:18
Here is what I was just talking about.  One EO and one 1-4x24. The Aimpoint T-1 looks like a nice choice as well.

Edited by sholling - July/30/2009 at 19:21
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic