OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vintage style scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vintage style scope
    Posted: July/29/2009 at 23:49
With the nearly infinite selections of variable powers, reticles, and features on todays riflescopes I sometimes feel a little overwhelmed. More out of curiosity than anything else, I am looking for a nice fixed power scope that looks appropriate for one of my currently unscoped, older guns. Anyone have an opinion about the old Bausch&Lomb scopes? I have also looked at some of the older Weaver 4x's. I like the look and simplicity of these older scopes and think they would fit much better on an old milsurp or similarly aged sporter than the newer feature laden scopes.
-Michael
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 00:40
   I have some old steel tubed Weaver scopes and one Denver Redfield I hunt with at times and 99.9% of the time they work out fine but the one time they don't makes you reconsider using them.  I had an old V7 I had never used before mounted on a Husqvarna. With my binocs I was watching a group of deer coming out of a woodline. It was just at sunset and  it was setting behind the deer. When I went to draw a bead on one all I saw was white. The glare through the scope was so bad it cost me a shot.  Point being that the older scopes don't have the modern technology,in this case lense coatings,that can be of help to you in certain circumstances.  I'll still use the old scopes but I'm now more aware of their shortcomings.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 01:03
Yes, I definitely agree that these older scopes have their technological disadvantages, but dollar for dollar I wonder how they would compare to some of today's brands. I really just want a scope or two that doesn't look quite as modern, and feature-laden. I like the look of the Weaver K6 classic...modern scope with proper lens-coatings but in a simplistic looking package. However, I have no experience with the scope so I'm not sure how it stacks up optically.
-Michael
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 06:15
  I've got a Weaver Classic K2.5 and it's a very nice scope.  Both the Classic K4 and K6 would work well for you. Fixed 6X scopes are having a bit of a comeback and the Weaver is mentioned ALOT about being a real deal.  Also the Leupold FXII 4X and 6X.  Of course there's absolutely nothing wrong with using an old vintage scope.  Of course you've got to take in to consideration the no warrantee factor except for Leupold.
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 13:58
Optically, I imagine the fx II's would be about the same as the Weaver K4 and K6? Anybody dissagree with that? I love Leupold's customer service and warranty, but with a fixed power scope on low recoiling rifles I doubt (knock wood) that I will need them. 
-Michael
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 17:57
  I would say that the FXII would be better than the Classic but not quite as good as the Grand Slam.  To me,the FXII would be more desireable mainly because of the better eye relief and noncritical head position when aquiring the target.  
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 21:23
The old scopes are not as good as the NEW SCOPES.  Period.  But they are as good as they were when they were new, back in the sixties and seventies......what's wrong with that???  

( " a bunch of dad-burned whippersnappers.....!! " )  

Edited by Ed Connelly - July/30/2009 at 21:24
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic