OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

best aftermarket composit stock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale.l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best aftermarket composit stock
    Posted: July/28/2009 at 21:12
i am going to be buying a new stock for a remington 700 classic 257 roberts this is what  i am looking for in a stock

1  has to fit pretty close with little fitting
2  good durable finish
3  stiff forarm with little flex
4  fit made to fit a sporter barrel with no big gaps between stock and barrel

there are 3 i can think of bell & carlson, hogue, H&S

thanks dale
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2009 at 21:13
why not buy a remington xcr stock?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2009 at 22:09
McMillan is the best and it goes downhill from there.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 09:45
second on the mcmillian-everything else is a compromise.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 09:48
actually would like to add, that most guns are build with the cart before the horse, select the stock and its purpose first then work to the action and cartridge which will give you the barrel you need.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 16:19
Yeah, it's really hard to argue with McMillan when you consider everything -- quality, close fit to your action, variety, finish, and customer service.  There are many good stocks out there, but for most applications, McMillan is either the best choice or at least in the top 2 or 3.  They aren't inexpensive, but you won't be disappointed in their quality.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
safariarms man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 20:13
I am go different on this one.  While  McMillan without question is one of the best, I prefer working with Bell and Carlson Medalist stocks.  After re-stocking multiple rifles with each, I have found the quality of each equal.  I have only used the hunting type stocks in the BandCs, not any of the Tactical types, so I cannot speak to those.  I have never re-stocked with a H-S, but own one on my CZ Kevlar Varminter in a 204 Ruger and while I have never taken down the rifle, the fit and finish on the exterior is superb and is solid and the dollar once was.  So I guess I agree with rifledude, those three rank right up there.  The others I have seen are not up to the same level of quality.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 22:38
i know this will get me smacked down quick, but i really like the houge overmolded stock that my .375H&H came with, yeah its a little big, but its got the aluminum full length bedding too. i dont think its quite as big of a deal for the rifle that is supposed to be heavy.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 09:17
The thing about McMillan that I think makes them the best is besides the drop-in stocks, they custom fit their stocks to the action.  Most of the others do not offer this service, only offering drop-in stocks.  So, if metal to stock fit is a consideration, there is no contest.  They will fit any action to any barrel contour, any floorplate design combination you can dream up.  Most of the others don't do that, in an effort to keep prices low.

Manners composite stocks is another very good stock.  They have some very unique offerings, especially if you are looking for a tactical or F-Class stock.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 11:49

I have a McMillan on a Remington 700 an agree that they are top drawer.

I have a Brown Precision Kevlar stock on a Remington Mountain Rifle. For hunting use, they warrant a very close look. I also have a 700 Classic that I have left the walnut stock on. If I was to re-stock, I would look at the Brown Precision for a lightweight hunting stick first.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 11:58
Owning McMillan, Manners, AICS, H&S, Hogue, and several others; I can say, with a certainty, McMillan makes the stock that fits me and my purposes best.
Adjustability in stocks is under-rated: if it doesn't fit you right, "natural point of aim" suffers, as does consistency - then precision and accuracy.

Whatever you get, get something that fits you well - and if it isn't a perfect fit, make sure it is modifiable to get to "prefect."

I'm 6'5" and 210, I've used the very cheapest to the most expensive and, like glass, you get what you pay for.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - July/30/2009 at 11:59
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 21:01
Why dont you PM  JF4545 he has a guy that he knows that makes some custom stocks that we were just talking about today.  I think he could give you some contact info and more intel on them.  Aparently a small company that does some quality work.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
safariarms man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 21:19
The BandC medalist stocks for standard hunting rifles, with which I have only experience with, are also made for specific actions and the stock to receiver and barrel fit is perfect.  Both McMillan and BandC are expensive, but the former is slightly more expensive.  The H-S stocks are suppose to be first rate.  I have heard good things about the Hogue overmolded stocks with the full metal bedding block, but do not have any experience with them.  The guys I know like, pyro 6999 swear by them.  I guess in the end, as long as the rifle shoots well and you like the looks and feel of the stock in your hands and how it mounts to your shoulder, that's all that counts.  I have re-contoured and finished Richard's Mirofit wooden stocks for custom projects, but I have never tried their laminates.  If they are anything like their wooden models, they may be worth trying if a synthetic or wooden is not an option.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 22:29
I have 2 McMillans

2 HS Precision (one of which I camo'd)

and an Ultimate Sniper

The McMillans are definitely drop ins and need no additional work.  I like the molded in colors and they are solid and well made.  You will pay top dollar and wait a long time.  They come with pillars (or maybe I ordered them that way, I don't recall)

The HS Precision stocks came on the guns (Beretta Matos) and are also well made and a good stock for heavy recoilers.  They have pillars and an aluminum bedding block under the receiver area (not full length)

I bed all my stocks myself and they are all well made.

Like pyro I am getting a 375 (although it is a better one, a 375 Ruger not a 375 H & H Stiring The Pot) and am considering the Hogue overmolded with a full bedding block.  Cheap and available but I sure would like an Accurate Innovations Ghost laminate Ebony grip cap fishscale checkered stock (anyone have an extra $750.00 to loan)
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 22:49
Say That Rifle next to the Elk, What is that if you don'y mind?
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 22:50
Do not mind? opps.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 23:07
That would be a Beretta Mato.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 23:34
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

That would be a Beretta Mato.

Best production rifle ever made so naturally they discontinued it!!  Whatever
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 23:37
Very nice!
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 23:39
What model Kahles on the Beretta Mato
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic