OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Thanks Nikon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thanks Nikon
    Posted: July/28/2009 at 19:15
To all,

Just want to drop in a good word and give credit is where credit is due.  The short story is, about 4-5 years ago I bought a new Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44 w/FCD reticle.  Well, back in May I was adjusting the scope from 100 to 200 yds with a 204 Ruger.  Much to my surprise, it wouldn't adjust (elevation) beyond some 2 1/2 turns of the turret from the bottom.   I contacted Nikon and explained the issue and they said to send it in.  The only thing I didn't have was the original sales receipt, otherwise everyting was there.
In late June I had surgery and just today I returned home and saw the shipping box that actually arrived 3 weeks ago.  I opened it up and "lo and behold", a brand new in the box Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 w/FCD reticle, complete with sunshade, knobs, cloth,warranty card. lens covers, etc....  These folks were more than generous because I certainly didn't expect this. 

I know there are some comments from days-gone-by from folks regarding Nikon's warranty.  This is my only experience with them and they wet above and beyond.  All-in-all, the response time was very good.

Thanks Nikon Big Grin
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2009 at 19:23
Good to here, glad to see nikon take the high road.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2009 at 19:56
 And thus, somebody in Nikon's Customer Service Department just helped them sell a bunch more scopes!
 I often wonder why some companies still struggle with this concept, in the Age of the Internet...
grea2278 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grea2278 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 10:26

Wow, that is awesome i am considering this exact scope. 6-24 x50 monarch.   How would you rate it/??

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 11:39
+1 Nikon. Good going!
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 12:16
I haven't mounted it yet but the clarity between the two models looks pretty close (which is very good by the way) but I would have to get them out in low light and in the mirage and do some side-by-side comparisions.  Don't get me wrong, although it wasn't as good as my Zeiss Conguest (4.5-14x50) and Leupold VX-3 (8.5-25x50) the older model Monarchwould hold its own against those two in all but the lowest of light conditions even though it was handicapped by having a smaller opening (44mm vs 50mm) and in the case of the VX-3 a smaller tube 1" vs 30mm. 

The eye relief is much more generous across the zoom range.  The adjustments/clicks of the windage/elevation turrets is much more pronounced than the previous model.  They are not as pronunced as my new Leupold VX-3 or my Zeiss Conguest but they are much improved...

The FOV @ 100 yards is just a tad wider than the previous model and the outside diameter of the oblective is 4.5mm larger.  Fortunately for me, this is on a thumbhole stock which requires higher rings (for me anyway) and I was able to stick with the same ones.

One downside to this scope and others similiar to this one/class is the lack of internal adjustments.  This scope only has 30 MOA (I believe Zeiss is only 36MOA w/ 6.5-20) so if you find you will need more, you may have to go to a 30mm scope which is the primary reason I have the Leupold 8.5-25x50 w/30mm tube. 

Hope this helps,

Jim  
safariarms man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 19:56
Great to hear another good cs experience.

Edited by safariarms man - July/29/2009 at 19:56
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 20:05
I like my Nikon, good feedback.
I'm classic shag nasty type.
ti-force View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ti-force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 21:46
 That's great to hear! It's been said on here before, but I'll say it again. Most of the time we hear more bad news about customer service then we do good news, so  it's very refreshing to hear about good news. Thank you very much for sharing your experience.
skilly1979 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skilly1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 01:53
you got a brand new 6-24 not 6-20 that was five years old, i dont think it can get much better than that plus the new scope cost considerabely more than your old scope
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 11:28
Thats correct.  I'm very gratefull although from a cost perspective I'm not really surprised because my thinking is, it's probably cheaper for them in both dollars and customer satisfaction to just replace it than fix it.  The only thing I'll need to replace is the B/C flip covers. There are some flip covers that came with it but they are rubber and slightly thicker and that may contact the barrel on the front when installed.   
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 16:58
Good deal. Heaven knows Nikon could use a good post concerning CS.
They "seem" to be getting better of late.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic