OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for a LaRue Stealth Needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullwinkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for a LaRue Stealth Needed
    Posted: July/28/2009 at 14:16
Sorry for the noob question, but my head hurts from all the great information here and i am more confused than ever. I am a new AR15 owner (found a heck of a deal from a friend who is getting divorced) and now I need a scope.

Just purchased a used (less than 40 rounds) LaRue 18" barrel Stealth and am looking for ideas on what optic to go with. Do not want to spend a fortune and the budget is maxed out at $500 and that's got to include optic mount.

The range I shoot at goes out to 600 yards.

This is my only AR15 so I need a versatile optic.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2009 at 14:24
First and foremost, Wlcome to the OT.

Next, your new gun is a good one. congratulations on that purchase (sorry about the friend.)

Next, what do you plan to do with the rifle?  Choices are many, from red-dot "no magnification" scopes to medium-magnification scopes (anything "large" will overwhelm your gun and make its handling characteristics less than ideal.)

Give some details around what is wanted and "needed" and we can help.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2009 at 14:26
This is a great place to start
It is part of our host here www.swfa.com
 They have scope and mounts and great advice on the phone and good service with a 110% price guarantee.
And welcome to optics talk, lots of good information on optics mounts etc.
Duce  Smile
Duce
Bullwinkle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullwinkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2009 at 16:05
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullwinkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2009 at 16:20
The Bushnell Elite 4299, Leupold Mark AR scope line. I like the idea of a 2.5x10 power scope, but the SWFA SS 3x9 looks like a really nice scope, just out of my price range. 
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2009 at 16:29
Vortex 3.5-10x50 Viper Rifle Scope
Vortex 3.5-10x50 Viper Rifle Scope
Stock # - VPRM03BDC
  • Matte
  • Dead-Hold BDC
  • 1"
$409.95
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2009 at 17:44
Vortex Viper above is a good option.

Also, check out Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 and Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40.

Both are reasonably priced.

If you decide that you want more magnification, look at Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40 and Weaver Grand Slam 4.5-14x40.

Ultimately, I would say that it may be worth your while to save up a little more and get the right scope for it the first time:

-Variable Super Sniper is the one to beat for tactical shooting that involves ranging
-Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x42 with MilDot is one of the better choices if you do a lot of shooting in low light.

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2009 at 18:05
Almost everything I would suggest is over $500 for the scope alone.  You could spend a tad over $300 on a 16x Super Sniper and put a top quality mount on it
LaRue Tactical SPR-S QD Mount LT-158 for about $200 but even then you will be a few dollars shipping cost over your $500 mark.
or you could buy one of SWFA's  new mounts and spend more on a scope. Problem is everything I think will hold up really well cost more money. I think I could be really happy with a 16x Super Sniper scope in a La Rue mount but that is figuring shooting small targets at long range where you have to have tactical knobs.  If you were saying coyotes I'd be looking for lower power probably in a Bushnell  and if you are dropping $200 in a mount that doesnt leave much to work with.
Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope Multi-X Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 423944M
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
$299.95 
Add Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope to Cart 
Bushnell 4-12x40 Trophy Riflescope DOA 600 Bushnell 4-12x40 Trophy Riflescope
Stock # - 734124B
  • Matte
  • DOA 600
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Centerfire
$164.95 
Add Bushnell 4-12x40 Trophy Riflescope to Cart 
Or less mount and more scope
Nikon 4-16x42 Monarch Riflescope Nikon 4-16x42 Monarch Riflescope
Stock # - 8421
  • Matte
  • Nikoplex
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
$439.95 
Add Nikon 4-16x42 Monarch Riflescope to Cart 
SWFA S.S.A.L.T.  30mm / 1 SWFA S.S.A.L.T. 30mm / 1" Scope Mount
Stock # - SS30HSSALT
  • Matte
  • Comes with 1" Inserts
$59.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullwinkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2009 at 18:18
The guy I got the AR from pointed me over to AR15.com and that is one heck of a web site. Been spending hours researching and learning about the AR15, it is quite a bit more than a military full auto weapon turned semi automatic.

The more I read & learn the more I realize this is not going to be a quick easy fix and I need to allocate more funds for the project. That will take several extra months but should be worth it.

Its almost to the point where I have convinced myself to get a LaRue SPR mount for the scope. After all it is a LaRue upper and as such who would know how to build and attach a scope mount best to a LaRue upper. Plus it seems LaRue is extremly pro military and supports the troops like no other mount builder. According to LaRues web page they sell combo scopes.mounts at what seems to be a reasonable price point.

Why go to a 16 power scope for a one AR does it all kind of thing? I would think that for 50-100 or even 200 yard shooting a 16 power scope is just to much glass.

I like the idea of a 1x10 power for the AR15, but it appears nobody actually makes such a scope but you can get 2.5X10 scopes.

Back to doing more research

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2009 at 18:50
I have only used the super sniper 10 the cheaptrick loaned me for a couple of week but it is a very impressive scope for the money. I would give it some serious consideration because it is good for 100 yard shooting and at 600 yards targets will look like they would at 60 yards with iron sights. A super sniper rear focus and the http://swfa.com/SWFA-SSALT-30mm-1-Scope-Mount-P41855.aspx will be in your budget and the 10 X super sniper hold it value very well if you decide to sell it and move up. http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P499.aspx
I had not used the rear focus before but it worked very well for me.
Duce  Smile
Duce
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 00:12
Why Super Sniper 16x   ...... because you said:   

"The range I shoot at goes out to 600 yards."

"...  Am looking for a general purpose scope that will take advantage of its accuracy out to 600 yards. I want to try my hand at prairie dog shooting, but one that can also take some rain/snow along with other abuse and bumps & bruises. I’m not known for being easy on any of my stuff and do not want to get a cheap scope that can not take getting bumped around or some nasty weather.

The Super Sniper 16x  scope can be used as close as 10 yds but no matter what distance it is ment to have a solid rest and will not be one that you hand hold.  Most guys who shoot prairie dogs use higher power scopes and 16x would be a workable prairie dog scope - small target reliable tactical knobs with 1/4 moa clicks so you can dial in correction for trajectory and wind compensation.  If that is not how you intend to use the rifle then give us a clue because .223 is not a deer legal caliber in most states.  If its a CQB gun you need to be looking at  Aimpoint Comp M4s or a Trijicon ACOG or an EOTech.  If it will be used on game that requires you shoot without a rest I would suggest  Leupold FX3  fixed 6 x with long range duplex that has two hold over marks and is an extremely bright scope and fairly quick on target and about as much as you can hand hold and rapidly acquire a moving target. I would also  suggest the Bushnell 4200 series with rainguard but the higher the power the more the cost and you already limited us to $500 including the mount.   So best prairie dog optic mount combo for the $500 range is a La Rue mount with a Super Sniper scope and you can select a 10x they are very nice all around scopes but if its prairie dogs the 16 might be a fun choice or even the 20.   I will say that the 20  will look a bit on the grey side in low light and the 10 will look great all the time.  The 16 is of course in the middle and if you are hunting low light or close distance the 10X is the most popular model.  Or at least was before the 3-9x42 came out.  I just ordered my second 3-9x42 they are awesome and the 1/10 mil clicks combined with a mildot reticle is a winner.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Roadwild17 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roadwild17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 07:18

I would look at something like a 1-4 power red dot.  Millett makes one that is around 250.  That would take care of 0-250 yds in my opinion, but I will yeild to the experts.

My slef, I have a 20" like yours (should be in next week Big GrinBig Grin)  that I plan on putting a 3-9 or 2.5-10 or something like that.  Im planing on using mine for 200-600 yds.  Its my version of a USMC SAMR.  Being you have an 18" you may want to check out a Mk12 SPR and go that way.  The rifle you have in good for may applications, its up to you to decide how you want to use it.

sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 09:46
Congrats. That's a $1200 tactical tack driver that was really developed as a SPR (mid range sniper) and deserves better than $300 optics. I'd save up and try and  get it something really special. I'd also plan on mounting whatever you get in a top drawer LaRue quick disconnect mount. I'll list two suggestions. One within your budget and one out of budget. These are the two that I would give strong consideration.

Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope Multi-X Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 423944M
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
$299.95
Bushnell 2.5-16x42 Elite 6500 30mm Rifle Scope Mil-Dot Bushnell 2.5-16x42 Elite 6500 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 652164T
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • Tactical Model
  • Rainguard
  • Free Sun Shade w/ Purchase
$749.95

NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 11:20
Originally posted by Roadwild17 Roadwild17 wrote:

I would look at something like a 1-4 power red dot.  Millett makes one that is around 250.  That would take care of 0-250 yds in my opinion, but I will yeild to the experts    ...

Welcome and your opinion is valued also.  Most guys would be better off using a low or medium power optic on an AR-15.  I happen to have a 1.5x Compact ACOG TA442 on mine and I usually shoot it at 200 and 300 yds with good results.   The thing is that the guy started talking about using it to shoot prairie dogs which screams  higher power scope, solid rest to shoot from, tactical / target knobs, longer distances likely 200 to 600 yds. Since prairie dogs arent very big a 1-4x just wont do for that use.  I think the best all around scope for an AR is the new 3-9x42 Super Sniper which was actually designed for the Army's designated marksman rifle. It also is over his stated budget without even considering a mount.  If the guy tells me hes hunting coyotes then the right optic changes and something like a 3-9 or a 4-16 Bushnell 4200 or a similar Nikon is a good choice, most are over budget.  If the guy wants a really tough traditional scope for general use I'm thinking Leupold  FX3 6x42 with long range duplex which would be in his budget including a mount.
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  1. Matte
  2. Long Range Duplex
  3. 1"
  4. Xtended Twilight Lens System
  5. TOUGH AS NAILS  Thunbs Up 
$409.95 
GG&G AR15/M16 Accessory GG&G AR15/M16 Accessory
Stock # - GGG1238
  • AC-30 Accucam Quick Detach Mounting Base with 30mm Integral Rings
$209.95 
ARMS #5 Multibase Scope Mount ARMS #5 Multibase Scope Mount
Stock # - ARMS5
  • Attaches to Weaver rail and Flattop receivers
$59.95 
ARMS has some risers in different lengths too and you can use them with Warne rings or other rings to mount with.
Badger Ordnance 30mm 1 Piece Ringmount Badger Ordnance 30mm 1 Piece Ringmount
Stock # - 30662
  • Matte
  • Medium
  • .885"
$174.95 
Badger Ordnance Max-50 Scope 30mm Rings Badger Ordnance Max-50 Scope 30mm Rings
Stock # - 30650
  • Matte
  • Ultra High (1.45")
  • Thunbs Up these suckers are #1 for HEAVY DUTY
$177.95 
Add Badger Ordnance Max-50 Scope 30mm Rings to Cart 
These BADGER are the most heavy duty rings available nothing will take the abuse these will they are ment to go on and stay on and I have these instead of the La Rue quick detachable.
Stock # - 30651
  • Matte
  • Ultra High (1.45")
  • Max-Alloy Thunbs Up
$197.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullwinkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 11:25
< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 10">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 10"> < ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 10">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 10">

Urimaginaryfrnd, yes I want to shoot dogs, have never shot them before and assumed/figured that since I have access to a 600 yard range that would be a good max range to shoot both dogs and paper. The range also has metal gong of different sizes out to 600 so that also should be fun. Otherwise I can not see hunting with it as I am not a hunter but a SASS Cowboy shooter. I have friends who go dog shooting and they all use bolt action rifles & figured this AR would be great at that, some of these guys have bragged about shooting dogs out to 800 yards, but normally they are 300 to 400 from what they say.

Since I am new to the entire scope issue it’s just boggling my mind with all the different makes/models/styles/powers and uses for optics. In SASS we use iron sights so that is all I have ever shoot as I’ve only been shooting for about 1.5 years.

Do not see using the AR for CQB but would like to be able to shoot it at close ranges for fun, plinking and it would be better than my Sharps 45/70 or Henry 45 Colt if needed for a home/camping (we like to 4 wheel and camp) defense scenario or if a Jericho kind of event happened. I paid $1K for the AR and that included the lower receiver with a Rock River 2 stage trigger and a AR15A2 stock, 5 20rd magpul magazines and 250 rounds of Prvi Partizan ammo.

What is the difference between a 1 inch scope tube and a 30mm scope tube other than price?

I have accepted the fact that the rifle needs a better scope than I can afford & will have to up the budget for a scope and separate out the price of a LaRue mount. That will extend the time before I can start shooting the AR as I am drooling to go shooting it,  but it might as well be done right the 1st time instead of jacking around and wasting time/money.

Guess I’m looking for a well rounded scope that can do everything well instead of one thing superb, sort of a jack of all trades scope if that makes any sense.

Thanks for all the great ideas and help!!!

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 11:28
SWFA SS 16x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 16x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS16X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$319.95 
Add SWFA SS 16x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart 
Stock # - 30650
  • Matte
  • Ultra High (1.45")
$177.95 
Add Badger Ordnance Max-50 Scope 30mm Rings to Cart
Now tell me that doesnt say prairie dogs at 400 yds.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 11:38
Do every thing scope:
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95 
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  1. Matte
  2. Long Range Duplex
  3. 1"
  4. Xtended Twilight Lens System
  5. TOUGH AS NAILS  Thunbs Up 
$409.95 
Stock # - 423944M
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
$299.95
Zeiss 4.5-14x50 Conquest Rifle Scope Zeiss 4.5-14x50 Conquest Rifle Scope
Stock # - 5214909973
  • Matte
  • Rapid Z 1000
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • Target Knobs
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
$924.95
Leupold 4.5-14x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope Leupold 4.5-14x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU56140
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Side Focus
  • Target Knobs
$724.95
IOR 4-14x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope MP-8 IOR 4-14x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 414508
  • Matte
  • MP-8
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • Free IOR Sun Shade w/ Purchase
$1,074.95

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - July/29/2009 at 11:40

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 11:41
My thinking is that you have a very special rifle. LaRue builds combat quality tack drivers in all lengths. If it were the 16" I'd say hang a 1-4x24 in a LaRue mount and be done. But that 18" barrrel would make me want to go longer range. The $300 Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 is a darn good scope and even mounting it in a LaRue QD mount you'd be within budget. The LaRue QD mount will allow you to remove the scope and use iron sight for close in and for home defense, then remount the scope and be within 1 MOA of zero.

In my opinion that's the best solution for your budget.

The nice thing is that you can zero your rifle at 50yds and the trajectury of the 5.56 will cause it to be pretty close to zeroed at 250yds (or vice versa). That should also keep you within roughly +- 2-1/2" of elevation from 0-300yds.
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 11:44
Prairie dog hunting scope:
Leupold 6.5-20x56 VX-3L 30mm Extreme Varminter Riflescope Leupold 6.5-20x56 VX-3L 30mm Extreme Varminter Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66740
  • Matte
  • Varmint Hunters
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Target Knobs
  • Side Focus
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$1,239.95 
Good deal on Prairie Dog Scope:
10178 Leupold 6.5-20x56 VX-3L 66740, Matte with red splatter finish, varmint hunters reticle, 30mm tube, target knobs, side focus, xtended twilight lens system, 100% new 2009 demo model, used for current SWFA.com web pictures   $1,079.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 11:51
Scopes you could use to hunt pairie dogs with a good success rate but not so much expense:
Leupold 12x40 FX-3 Riflescope Fine Duplex Leupold 12x40 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66830
  • Matte
  • Fine Duplex
  • 1"
  • Target Knobs
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$529.95 
Add Leupold 12x40 FX-3 Riflescope to Cart 
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Scopes-C1719.aspx any of the Super Sniper scopes and the 16x or 20x would by my pick even though the 10x is a more all around scope.
For the Prairie dogs you have to have higher power.  For general use you go 3-9 or 4-16 for up close and personal you go 1x to 4x

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic