OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lyman primer arm troubles!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 08:48

I can feel that with the press. It might be because its the only way I have ever done it or might be that good. I'll give the hand primer a try to see if I can change to something different. might help me in morningtraffik to prime  afew 100 rounds.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 08:50
Would love to see the look on the cops face with that traffic stop.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 09:00
The sinclair has the coolness factor to it.

yeah i'm betting I would get a ride if priming rifle shells while driving down the road. Dig one out of a box in the passengers seat. Prime it chucnk it into the back seat. 2,000 primed case's in the back seat/floorboard and me grining from ear to hear thinking of how a fresh creamed filled dognut would get me out of this mess.

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 09:17
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Thanks for the links. I like #1, But I enjoy doing it with my press and it keeps my in the loading room a tad bit longer.

You like dank dark places don't you?
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 09:19
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

This little item will solve all your priming woes.

More info Roy!!!

Man thats a sweet looking press but why pay $120 for that too have to turn around and buy the Lee shell holders extra.  Lee's version the Autoprimer is only $28.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 09:33
Also there is no reservoir disk so you have to load primers one at a time.  ARGH
--Thomas Jefferson

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 09:52
  It's all about precision and not speed.  The Sinclair "locks" the case head square with the priming punch.  I use the Lee model and when priming I'll hold the casing flush to the face of shellholder.  I can feel if the casing tries to cock to one side as I prime it and then I'll compensate. If I want to be that precise I should get something else? BULLHEADED I guess!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 10:03
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

It's all about precision and not speed.  The Sinclair "locks" the case head square with the priming punch.  I use the Lee model and when priming I'll hold the casing flush to the face of shellholder.  I can feel if the casing tries to cock to one side as I prime it and then I'll compensate. If I want to be that precise I should get something else? BULLHEADED I guess!

Sorry, I don't see that much extra precision.  It is using the same Lee Shell holder.  $120 plus $12 set of Lee shell holders.  Lee autoprimer $16.95 plus Shell holders $12= $28.95
Sorry, I am just too frugal cheap to buy the pretty one when I have had great success with the Lee!
--Thomas Jefferson

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 10:09
The Lee unit works just fine as I used one for years.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 10:36
  My Lee's 28yrs old.  Works fine.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 11:07
enough said!  Light It Up
--Thomas Jefferson

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 18:46
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

The press mounted priming arms work but what I like about the hand primers is that I can feel when my primer pockets have enlarged to the point that the casing is wore out by the way it feels when I seat them.  Enlarged primer pockets,for me,are the first things that show my casings done for.

(here you go bud this is just for you, and lookie you didnt even have to set me upExcellent)

i have been using my press for priming since i began to reload, i have no trouble feeling an enlarged primer pocket with my press, you could say you learn that feeling for a loose one.Laugh
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 21:37
Hunter, setting you up is half the fun!   Wink

It's all good
--Thomas Jefferson

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 23:36
  GLAD it works for ya.  When I started having some of my primers moving in their pockets after seating them with my press I was advised to try a hand primer.  Problem solved.  Evidently I couldn't feel the too easy seating before the pockets got too opened up.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2009 at 09:20

I'm in red and they are in blue. Lyman did me pretty well even after the smart remark from me.

Lyman CS

I have a turret kit and I was loading last night and the

Priming arm broke. What do I need to do to get a new one?

Thank you very much for your time.

Brandon

Brandon

Universal priming Arm may be ordered from our website in the Presses and

Kits area by clicking on the Accessories box.

Lyman customer service

Lyman CS

Okay so you're not like the other press companies that will replace the

Broken part free of charge?

Brandon

Brandon,

How long have you owned the item?

Lyman customer service

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2009 at 09:29

Thunbs Up  for Bd and Lyman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2009 at 09:31
i like the jab you gave them brando, they had it coming imo. i dont think redding or rcbs would have said a thing about it other than we will send you a new one asap.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2009 at 09:31
Lyman did good for ya BD!

I still think you should get a hand loader though.  I have been sitting out on my deck in the late evenings watching all the little critters come out and play while pressing away with my hand primer. It is quite relaxing.
--Thomas Jefferson

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2009 at 09:42
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Lyman did good for ya BD!

I still think you should get a hand loader though.  I have been sitting out on my deck in the late evenings watching all the little critters come out and play while pressing away with my hand primer. It is quite relaxing.

yeah Lyman did well by me.

I can just mail you my case's and primers if you want me to. we can do 2,000 at a time if thats fine.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic