OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for an AR-type rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strider09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for an AR-type rifle
    Posted: July/26/2009 at 00:13
Hello everyone,
  I have an ar style rifle and am looking to get a scope for it. I am not a rich person and I was thinking the drop dead no go past limit of my funds was about $500, but then I saw the bushnell 4.5-30x50 and found one for alittle over $600... well I was guessing that I may just have to buy the wife flowers and ask for forgiveness later....
   I really like the power range on this thing, is low enough but yet high enough for anything I can think of... but have been hearing lots of bad things about bushnell..... I`ve heard that they won`t hold zero on an ar because of the constant back and forth kick, that they are in the same leauge as taspo, etc.....
    What do I believe? has anyone here had experiance with the bushnell 6500  4.5-30 on an ar-type?
    Are there any other scopes that you would recomend instead? I would prefer a mil dot, 30mm tube, but.....
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2009 at 07:09
Welcome to Optics Talk!

What type of shooting are you planning on doing? The new SS variable is looking good!
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
target74 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2009 at 11:15
I put the 6500 on my 6.8 and love it so far. I believe its hard to beat the bushnell.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2009 at 12:18
 I have no doubt about the quality of those Bushnells and Nikons, but I see no point in having more than 16X or 20X top end magnification on an AR for almost any practical purpose, and a low end of 1X to no more than 4X is far more important for any tactical, hunting or home defense.
  I'd get something on the order of a 1-4 or 1.5-6 if on a tight budget. Weaver, Bushnell, Nikon, Burris, leupold -all have good scopes for reasonable prices. If you get a very high magnification scope in that $150 -300  price range, you simply will not get very good glass.

The Variable Super Sniper that Cheaptrick suggested is going to run away with the AR scope market for those who can spend a little more...

Edited by RONK - July/26/2009 at 12:19
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2009 at 13:20
well we have run the whole range of power selections almost.  I really prefer a Trijicon ACOG with illuminated fiber optic + tritium triangle or chevron.  I also like Aimpoint red dots with the 2moa dot.  I think the Trijicon RX30 reflex sight wiht a 6.5moa dot is also a nice choice. If you must have a conventional optic I would either go Super Sniper 3-9x42 varialbe (which I have) or a Zeiss Rapid Z 600 reticle.  If you decide you must have ultra high magnification the Sightron S3 and the Bushnell  4200 and 6500 are ones that should be considered.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2009 at 13:28

I recently put a 3x10x42 Swaro with 4A reticle on my AR Flat Top and I love it.. But I too have been thinking about mounting a Bushnell 4200 Elite in the same x's instead. I would prefer the the low end a 1x if it was available and a top end of not over 12X. My reasoning for swapping is that the Swaro 3x10 x42 would serve me better on a larger game hunting rifle, optically the clarity of the Swaro would be more useful shooting a Buck at 400 yards than a Rock Chuck at 50 yards. I do not shoot beyond 300 yards normally with my AR, also my eyes are such that the 10X high end is very welcomed even at that distance...

If I were a mildot guy I would buy the SS 3x9x42 for sure, 600.00 is a great buy in my opinion.This Bushnell right here is a very good scope , if it were me its what I would buy and you would still have money left over plus your wife would still be a happy little camper. "Happy Wife, Happy Life" Thats what my marrage counciler used to tell us...Poker

Bushnell 2.5-10x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope Multi-X Bushnell 2.5-10x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 422104M
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
$429.95 

oobray View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oobray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2009 at 14:06
I have a leupoled VX III 1.5-5x20mm with illuminated duplex reticle that is awesome out to about 350-400 yards. I was using it on my 5.56 for 3 gun. Now that I'm pretty much exclusively shooting my 6.5 grendel. I don't have much use for it. I have heard great things about the Bushnell 6500. And if they're as good of quality as their other lines they should be amazing.
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2009 at 14:18
You did say 6500, opps sorry!
Ive looked at them pretty closely and the clarity is very good, almost as good as the Swaro I mentioned. The 6500 Elite I looked at was a 2.5x16x42 and for myself would be a very nice scope if you really want that much top end. The 4.5-30x50 is way over the top IMO.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic