OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The Mexican Fisherman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2009 at 18:22
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

( .............we broke up................I was heartbroken..................ahhh..........de nada....) 

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2009 at 22:11
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

" Have you heard the one about the Mexican Fisherman?? " 

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 06:01
Having an MBA and being an MBA are two different things!  Not even a fine line!  It is very obvious that ILya has a technical background and is quite adept at dealing with the finite and theortical world of science.  A practicing MBA is adept at smoke and mirror creative finance, grand larceny and tax evation oh and of course suppressing the little guy (power monger)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 11:20
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Having an MBA and being an MBA are two different things!  Not even a fine line!  It is very obvious that ILya has a technical background and is quite adept at dealing with the finite and theortical world of science.  A practicing MBA is adept at smoke and mirror creative finance, grand larceny and tax evation oh and of course suppressing the little guy (power monger)

I am a practicing MBA.  As for the rest of that insult (starting with "smoke and mirror"), for the sake of peace of the forum I will not comment.

Perhaps, it may be worth your while to look up what is taught at business schools these days.

ILya
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 12:15
Bud, I'm not sure, but I think ILya just gave you a second opinion about your hoofinmouth disease.Roll on Floor Laughing
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 12:17

Ilya brother, please don't take direct offense to my admittedly slanted view of MBAs  My view has been arrived at after 25 years of looking up from the  trenches of the blue collar worker.  I have lost count of the bosses I have had to train to do the job I was doing pro-temp (and doing well). Jobs I was not offered because I had no degree just the ability to do the job.  I also suffer from the view and or preception that most middle and upper management types (all of which I consider MBAs) have little if anything to do with the daily operations of the company for which I work, produce and test the widgets that said company sells to make their profits.

I have obviously offended you and that was not my intent.  Thank you for your restrained and professional reply to my rantings.

At this point I will refrain from further rantings in interest of peace on the forum.

Good day to you sir!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 12:21
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Bud, I'm not sure, but I think ILya just gave you a second opinion about your hoofinmouth disease.Roll on Floor Laughing

Can you call the Farrier?  I think I threw, squallowed a shoe! Pitpuey!  Swallowed Clown

Edited by budperm - July/29/2009 at 12:27
--Thomas Jefferson

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 12:27
Laugh Above
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 13:01
This may be against my better judgement, but here it goes.

Bud, I am not offended.  I am disappointed.

As a matter of background, I got my MBA from UCLA Anderson School of Business.  I was doing it part time.  UCLA's full time program is top 15 in the country and part time program is the top one in the country.  It is not Harvard, but I have some exposure to good business schools (I was invited to Harvard, but did not want to move to Boston).

From private conversations, I learned that most of the professors are very liberal.  However, you would be very hard pressed trying to figure that out from just going to class.  They taught as the best they knew how.  They based their coursework and case analysis on the latest and most up to date examples from the real word.  They did their best to pass on whatever knowledge they have and let us decide how to apply it (as a matter of background, more than half the class were engineers and scientists).

The acronym MBA has a very specific definition: it is an acadimic degree.  It sounds like you have defined a whole class of people you have despised and called them "MBAs" whether they have the degree or not.  

I have a couple of problems with that.   One is that it is not fair to the rest of the people who have the degree.  To the best of my knowledge, we have done nothing to you.

Another is that what I am getting from you here is the age old class warfare that so alien to the American ideals and that I hear all the time from the liberals: "if we only got rid of those evil MBAs, the world would be a better place and I would get a promotion".  

I heard very similar stuff in the Soviet Union when I was growing up.  The propaganda machine would define some class to blame everything on.  Once everyone from that class was tilling the tundra in northern Siberia, they would find another scape goat.

It is an age old method first truly popularized by Marx and then applied by Lenin, Stalin and Co. The latest adherent to it is Obama.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 13:14
ILya,
 I really enjoy your "real world" experiences detailed in light of what is occurring HERE today.  Thank you for that very frank and telling exposition.  I'm glad you're with us, compadre. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 13:30
Obviously you are correct Ilya.

Bud suffers from some previously bad experience in the real world as have I, but in my case it was with the iron ring group.  It can and does leave a bitter taste.  Of course we should never extrapolate our personal biases to an entire group but I think some of the commentary may have been a little tongue-in-cheek.

Anyhow, all ahead full!
God save the Empire!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 13:58
Dogger has seen it it for what it was intended... as somewhat bitter tongue in cheek slam and rant.

Ilya was completely correct in objecting to the fact that I unjustly grouped all middle and upper management empire builder types and called them MBAs.

If I were more eliquent in my diatribe I would have better convened the extreme exasperation I have felt, numerous times, over the actions and behavior of the persons in power.  Several actions of which were not in the best interest of the company what so ever.  I will endevour to speak more professionally in the future.

Time to change feet again!  Bucky
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 14:00
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

ILya,
 I really enjoy your "real world" experiences detailed in light of what is occurring HERE today.  Thank you for that very frank and telling exposition.  I'm glad you're with us, compadre. 

Oh and WOW!!!  That was the best I have ever been spanked and throughly ignored at the same time Dan!  Where did you learn that trick?
--Thomas Jefferson

jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 14:25
Well, I will say...to get back to Koshkin's original post...there certainly are quite a few a-holes who are attracted to that particular degree. But I've worked with many fine people who had an MBA (some from Harvard) and my aunt holds a UCLA MBA. She was, for a number of years, a McKinsey consultant. However, in some fields, such as highway construction, people like my uncle - who ran a very successful operation for decades, refused to hire anybody but B students for foremen or superintendants. The A students went too much by the book and the C students (and below) were too damn dumb.

I don't believe Obama is looking to create class warfare. I'm more worried that he will surround himself with another generation of the "Best and the Brightest." We saw how that went 40-50 years ago. But that's a lawyer for you...and if there was ever a degree that attracted you-know-what, the JD puts the MBA to shame.
Reaction time is a factor...
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 14:47
Bud,  no spanking or ignoring intended... I did not comment on your examples, becasue I have felt much of the same types of frustrations and simply had nothing to add.  I understand your "style" and was able to pick the "wheat from the chaff".  ILya's perspective, coming from a FSU position is extremely valuable to the entire discourse within our country today and therefore, in my opinion, needed some showing of support.  We are at a critical time in our Nation's history and ILya's perspective should be broadcast through very LOUD speakers. 
No slap at you, Bud.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 15:30
In truth I needed one (a slap).  I would not hesitate to work for Ilya if he would allow it.  He has integrity and a strong sense of responsibility.  Power without integrity and a strong sense of responsibility to the company and to its employees is what seems to be missing the most in big businesses now-a-days, at least from my perspective.
--Thomas Jefferson

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 18:07
" I wish you fellers were a little bit older so that you could appreciate all of this George Burns-type humor.......ahh.....I hung around as long as I could ......I lived to be 100 years old, for Pete's sake....! "  

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 20:57
Ed, I watch "The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show" reruns whenever I can... wish there were more comics like that now.  I caught a video of The Dean Martin Roasts not too long ago... thought I was going to die from laughing, could not catch my breath.  Comedy sure has gone down hill. 

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 09:54
I thought George Burns wanted to live to be 100, but only made it to 98 or 99?
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 10:16
I believe you are correct in him coming up a little short of 100, but not enough to quibble about!
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic