OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hit the lottery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hit the lottery
    Posted: July/23/2009 at 18:07
Hi guys,  I've had the good fortune of drawing a private land tag for mule deer in Saco, Mt.  I also drew an antalope tag for area 620-00 which is outside of Saco.  Now the bad news... I have never hunted either and really could use your help and suggestions.

The hunt will take place the first week of november, I'll be shooting a .264mag using 129gr. hornady sst's, the rifle will be topped with a kahles 4-12X52cl.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions
Jeff

Edited by lucytuma - July/23/2009 at 18:24
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 18:19
   Excellent CONGRATS,Jeff!!!!!!!!   Can't help ya much with info on hunting either species but I'm SURE you'll get what you need here. 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 19:04
what kind of infor are u looking for? ive got some on mule deer hunting that might help ya.< 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - July/23/2009 at 19:35
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 19:10
Just general information that a white tail hunter from Wisconsin might not think of or know. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 19:16
My experience with Antelope is that sometimes they will walk right up to you. Probably not much help. Both of mine were short shots. Hope you have as good of luck. Congrats Cheers
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 19:18
well not to sure of the area your hunting, but its not much different than whitetail hunting. if wide open there find a high advantage point glass it over then put on stalk. don't about your cash flow but u might be better off find an outfitter to help u  < 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - July/23/2009 at 19:36
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 19:27
Congrats!

Check these dudes out.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 19:34
Muleys will be primary, goats secondary., thanks Cheap, i'll check that site out.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 19:42
Just get Helo to fly you around until you spot the one you want.  

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - July/23/2009 at 21:02

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 20:12
make sure you have a good pair of binos, antelope eyes are the equivalent of an 8x scope. be prepared for a long shot, although many people get a closer shot. if your hunting in eastern montana i think the grizzly bear thing wont be an issue. double check with helo to make sure.
mule deer are spooky so they can be a challenge to hunt as well. good luck and we want pictures when you get back!

btw i think the .264 will do just fine for you, its my current go to caliber.

Edited by pyro6999 - July/23/2009 at 20:56
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 20:48

Big mule deer bucks are one of the toughest North American animals to hunt. Do not underestimate anything about them. That's about all I can tell you.

Antelope are FUN to hunt if you love wide open spaces and don't mind hiking a little.

PLUS ten on Pyro's advice for good binocs. They are the most important item you can carry when hunting either of these species.

edited to add:
 Your rifle/load/scope combination is simply perfect.

Edited by RONK - July/23/2009 at 20:50
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 21:08
Even a spotting scope with a tripod might be useful to glass the area then move up to them down wind.  I would definately use camo and sent killer.  I'd like to hear more about the .264 mag  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 21:40
here is my .264

Edited by pyro6999 - July/27/2009 at 06:24
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 22:09
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Hi guys,  I've had the good fortune of drawing a private land tag for mule deer in Saco, Mt.  I also drew an antalope tag for area 620-00 which is outside of Saco.  Now the bad news... I have never hunted either and really could use your help and suggestions.

The hunt will take place the first week of november, I'll be shooting a .264mag using 129gr. hornady sst's, the rifle will be topped with a kahles 4-12X52cl.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions
Jeff
WOW... congratulations!!!!  Good hunting, good shooting...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 22:14
Only 2 hours from my home town.  If I am still in Montana when you get here, we have to meet up.  You gun will be perfect for your hunt.  Shots on the muleys could range from 50 to 300 yards.  Shouldn't be too hard to get closer.  My average shot on mule deer is about 120 yards.  Shots on the antelope will be between 200 to 300 yards, possibly farther.  Keep in mind that you will be here near the end of antelope season, so they will be jumpy and hard to get close to.  The plus is, it will only be the second week of rifle for deer.  Hopefully the big boys will be moving for you, although you will be about a week and a half early for rut unless we have a good fall.

You want to shoot the antelope before they run.  If you don't, you won't want to eat that meat.  You are going to be in a great area for both deer and goats.  And you might even see some big elk depending on what direction from saco you are hunting.  Let me know if I can help in any way.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 22:19
Originally posted by hunterwingler hunterwingler wrote:

well not to sure of the area your hunting, but its not much different than whitetail hunting. if wide open there find a high advantage point glass it over then put on stalk. don't about your cash flow but u might be better off find an outfitter to help u  < 

you will have plenty of open area, and probably going into the breaks a bit.  For deer and antelope up here, you will not need an outfitter at all.   Some mule deer come running if you slam the car door.  The big boys take some more work, but you can do it no problem.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 22:22
Wear gloves while crawling.   Bucky   

Sounds like you got a long range rifle.   Thunbs Up
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 22:24
Congratulations, Jeff!  Good luck on your hunt; I'm sure you'll have a great time!  You're rifle is certainly up to the task!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 22:53
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

here is my .264

( what a hawg...........)      Bucky
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 23:19
Jeff, I've hunted a little farther north (practically could spit into Canada) and about 180 miles west of there, but somewhat similar country. There's lots of folds in the land for muleys to hide in and what I've found is that you could get to the bottom of a coulee (typically a 200-300 ft. gully) with the wind blowing one way and turn into another coulee going off in another direction only to get the wind blowing the other way - wafting your scent towards any animal ahead. Seems they favor the area about a third of the way down from the top and any dense cover. Depending where you're at, that could be just scrub no higher than 15' and scattered. That time of year, the animals are almost the same color so lots of glassing with good optics is helpful for find them bedded down.

With deer, I've had good luck just spotting one, working way around out of sight and downwind, then getting close enough where if they've bedded down they'll flush and always seem to stop about 50-100 yards away. BOOM! But if they get spooked, forget about trying to follow one. They'll be three coulees over before you can climb out of the first one.

I've only hunted antelope in south-central MT, but similar terrain. They can indeed see you from a long way off and move rapidly out of range. First one I ever shot I got within 25 yards. Otherwise, unless it's very windy, 200 yards is typical. Last year it was a 310 yard shot with a 10-15 mph cross-wind.

The antelope may be wary by then and you probably will be too early for the rut. However, my guess is that area doesn't get too much hunting pressure. It's out there, even by Montana standards. Good luck this fall.
Reaction time is a factor...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic