OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Great aircraft... we cancelled it

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great aircraft... we cancelled it
    Posted: July/23/2009 at 13:30
F-22 flyby of the Stennis.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 14:02
Give it 3 years, it'll be back.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 14:37
Story is, their waiting for the F35 which won't perform any better than the F16, but it's stealthy (oh wow).
It's just like when Carter cancelled the B-1, a badly needed bomber, for the B-2. The B-2 was still 10+ years off and very expensive. When the B-2 arrived the same Democrats that wanted to kill the B-1 for the B-2, now wanted to kill the B-2 (they just wanted to kill any new weapons system).
Reagan authorized production of the B-1B when he took office, but by that time the thing went into production the cost had doubled, so we only got 100 subsonic B-1Bs instead of 200 supersonic B-1As.
If the F-22 comes back into production (and I doubt it will) it will be so expensive we won't be able to buy enough to be effective.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Ick View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional
ICK, Ed's BOY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 15:29
we can always make them for China or something.....
--
Ick, Ed's boy,www.ick.bz
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 16:54
I wouldn't dought it, it would be an act of good faith.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 17:00
"for China" Whatever........ "an act of good faith"No No
The word you are searching for is "Treason"

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 17:14

I was being misleading, remember the Clinton years.

trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 21:01
Originally posted by Ick Ick wrote:

we can always make them for China or something.....
We'll probably send them one to "reverse engineer", and then buy some from them. This was a badly needed aircraft, as the F-15 is not a dominating aircraft as it was even ten years ago. Russia has surpassed anything we had up until the Raptor, and their stuff is for sale to anyone who has money. It's a sad day.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 23:10
That's the Democratic Party plan. Make this country incapable of being a dominant force that is best left alone and respected. they would rather spend that money to secure votes and ultimate power for themselves.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2009 at 06:20
Notice today's news... F-35,  the supposed Joint Strike Fighter, is TWO YEARS behind schedule. 

I told you it would never be a great airplane. 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2009 at 07:43
The F-35 and F-22 were designed for two totally different missions!  The F-22 is a dedicated air dominance fighter with secondary air to ground attack role added later.  The F-35 is a dedicated air to ground strike fighter.  One is not a replacement for the other!

This makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.  The F-22 is the worlds only 5th gen. fighter actually in service.  Because of its first detection/ first shot, stealth, and extreme maneuverability capabilities, it requires fewer F-22s for an air supremacy mission than it does F-15s.  It has common systems with the F-35, which helps keep its maintenance and repair costs down compared to the system we have now, where parts for the F-15 and F-16 aren't compatible with the F/A-18 Hornet and Super Hornet.  So, despite it's $100 million price tag, which is inflated due to the constant reduction in orders for the jet, it actually makes more economic sense than the F-15!  It's dominance over anything else in our and our allies' inventory was proven in actual head to head war games at Red Flag near Nellis AFB.

Regardless of which bird we use, we will have to have so many primary air superiority fighters in our inventory.  Rather than continue to spend money on our existing fighters, why not replace with better technology that gives us "more bang for the buck" and does a better job at its intended purpose at the same time?  The F-15 is a spectacular aircraft, with an unmatched air to air combat record, but as good as it is, technology has passed it by, and many of the existing F-15s in service are nearing the end of their airframe fatigue life, so they have to be replaced by something. 

The F-35 is probably a great strike aircraft, and will probably work well for some other missions as well, but it was not optimized for air to air combat like the F-22 was.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2009 at 11:42
Sorry, Ted, but the F-35 is the "replacement" aircraft for the F-22, at least in the minds of Washington.  I agree it is not an adequate design for the mission, but that has never stopped bureaucrats before.  Mission creep has already begun...

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2009 at 13:19
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Sorry, Ted, but the F-35 is the "replacement" aircraft for the F-22, at least in the minds of Washington. 

I know what they say... but it isn't! 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2009 at 13:55
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Sorry, Ted, but the F-35 is the "replacement" aircraft for the F-22, at least in the minds of Washington. 

I know what they say... but it isn't! 

The F-22 is a true thing of beauty, I was there when the first F-22 rolled out with the first F-23 for ACM evaluations.  While I originally liked the 23 better, the 22 won me over.  The 35 will never meet the capabilities of the 22.  It simply cannot.  The 35 is a pure strike fighter (fight its way in, deliver its ordnance, fight its way out), the 22 is a long range interdiction fighter which is versatile enough to also carry out a strike mission... similar to the F-14 and the F-15.  The 22 has about an 8-0 superiority over the F-15... which was the best we had until the 22 came "online". 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 19:46
I think F-22 will make a reappearance yet.  I am afraid though that it will take a big event on US soil to reinvigorate further investment into it.

ILya
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2009 at 01:41
I'm afraid the new leadership wouldn't have the balls to even consider doing anything besides surrendering.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2009 at 07:57
I just read wear funding for more F22 was just cut!  So much for more air power! Whacko
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2009 at 09:35
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2009 at 09:53
Ed, I like your ascott!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2009 at 10:08
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic