OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Primers...is there a difference?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Primers...is there a difference?
    Posted: July/23/2009 at 13:06
Hey guys just wondering if anybody has done any primer comparison tests? I see alot of powder, case, and bullet chat but what about primers....you know 210 vs. 210M ect....What are some opinions about this consistancy issue...what are people seeing with different primers????

Edited by sniper13 - July/23/2009 at 13:07
pulling a trigger is easy....hitting your mark is intelligence
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 14:24
Not enough primers around to do a comparison with. Just take any you can find, and be glad you found them. I have not found any small rifle primers in over 7 months.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 14:44
I use both BR-2s and CCI 250 primers  the 250 are hotter and give about 75 fps more zip out of a .308.  so if you do change primers work a load up with both types primers.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 14:49
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

Not enough primers around to do a comparison with. Just take any you can find, and be glad you found them. I have not found any small rifle primers in over 7 months.

+1  I always used CCI,  but now I'd buy whatever brand was in stock.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 14:55
Man I'm glad I don't have that problem.

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 15:24
The only thing I would add to this is when changing primers reduce your loads and work back up accordingly.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 15:30
Lets assume primer availability is not an issue. I have read that anytime you change a component (other than powder) you should drop your powder charge by 10% and work back up (powder charge) to your load. That's the disclaimer.
Do primers make a difference? It depends on what difference you are talking about. If it is preassure in the load, then they might make a difference. If the difference you are concerned with is accuracy, then they may or maynot make a difference.
If you are switching from a standard primer to a magnum primer for a developed load, then it probably will make a difference in both preassure and accuracy, weather it will be positive or negative will have to be determined by you.
If you are changing from one brand of primer to another brand of same type, like going from Winchester to CCI standard primers, then the preassures MAY not change much, but accuracy MAY change noticeably.
If this all sounds like double talk, it's because there are so many variables in reloading. Think of it this way; if your load is some where between starting load to midway of the data you are using, then you MAY be able to swap primers without worrying about your gun blowing up. If your load is between the halfway to maximum to maximum, then changing primers could cause a problem.
I had a 357magnum load that I could use Winchester or CCI small pistol magnum primers with little change in accuracy and preassure stayed the same, when I changed to standard primers accuracy suffered greatly, and this load was in the middle of my data.
You just gotta experiment, and remember, it's your body holding the firearm, do you want to risk it.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
sniper13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 15:45
What differance can I expect switching from Rem. 9 1/2's to a Fed. 210M???
sniper13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 15:47
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Man I'm glad I don't have that problem.

+1

Edited by sniper13 - July/23/2009 at 15:47
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 15:53
Originally posted by sniper13 sniper13 wrote:

What differance can I expect switching from Rem. 9 1/2's to a Fed. 210M???
Unless your near maximum load, probably not much, since both are match primers.
If you switch, let us know the results.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
sniper13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 16:48
I did some testing yesterday with the 91/2's. Today I am going out to shoot the same the only thing I am changeing are the primers. I will be shooting a 168 gr A-Max, Hornady Match brass, RL 15 (43.4,43.6,43.8 & 44 grain loads - 5 round groups), and Fed.210M primers. All will be 2.815 OAL, this just fits in mag. . All through a factory Rem 700 sps tactical w/ 10x42M SS. Yesterday I got a 0.3" group with the 43.4 load, the rest came in between 0.4" & 0.6". I will definately post the results tonight when I am done. I am basically looking for a consistancy change and a slight tightening of the groups.....we will see!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 16:52
You mean you actually can find more than one brand of primers,  I cant hardly ever find primers of any brand much less what I want.  I always used Fed Gold Medal Match primers. I havent seen them for sale in over a year.

Link to article

Edited by Roy Finn - July/23/2009 at 17:14

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sniper13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 17:09
Gander mnt. had about 10 boxes yesterday for $3.98 per box (100). Sometimes I just get lucky.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 17:13
I have always had good luck with Federal magnum primers and have done several side-by-side / loaded-at-the-same-time /shot-at-the-same-time tests.  I have yet to find a load that would not eventually develop a better group with the Federals

YMMV
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 20:16
the only thing i like about federal primers is that they seem to burn cleaner than the cci's do, but yet ive used cci for most of the 20 yrs ive been reloading. i had a batch of fed. mag primers for my .300win and they were pretty good, but i tend to stick with one brand.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 20:30
No real difference between Fed210 and 210M except price and availability.
Winchester large rifle runs about 100fps faster, CCI is too inconsistant for me to consider, exception being in handgun loads,then the distances are so short that it makes no appreciable accuracy difference for me.

Usual component change warnings apply of course.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 21:19
Originally posted by Mike McDonald Mike McDonald wrote:

Winchester large rifle runs about 100fps faster

What are we talking about here, Mike?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 21:32
i think he is saying that he gets an extra 100fps by using win primers.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 21:49
I know Win. LR run a little hotter than others, but I never knew 100 fps faster.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 21:54
me neither roy, but if mike says it i tend to buy it. i may have to rethink my primer choices now, if mike thinks cci's are to inconsistant then maybe i should switch. 
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic