OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > The Sports Channel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Should Vic be allowed to play in the NFL?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 19:20
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Actually, Monster, it IS...
Did his time, OK, paid his "debt to society" maybe... entitled to go back to earning $M/year playing a sport in front of impressionable young children, I disagree.  Regardless, if he is allowed to return, it tells EVERYONE that what he did wasn't much, that what he did is really OK.  We just disagree, man.  He doesn't deserve the return to the sport. 
t

Look I am not backing the guy up or anything like that. Either way I won't be disappointed. Plus, in my mind he wasn't that good of a NFL quaterback anyway. So if he doesn't come back oh well......
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
scooter65 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 20:03
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

You don't have to be a "hero" to be a role model.  I don't think anyone thinks of athletes as heroes as they do nothing heroic.

Your right, you don't have to be a 'hero' to be a role model and certainly sports figures are role models to our youth...  But as such, many confuse them and treat them like heros...
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 03:18
All I'm saying is dogs are not people. I disagree that drunk driving is not a willful act.  If you drink, you should know your impaired and not drive. your a friggin' millionaire, call a taxi or hire driver.  and I don't condone the dog fighting in anyway. I just don't like the fact that an animal is put at the same level as a human being.  I know your not doing it. but our society is.  

Edited in:  CT that's classic, only roll model use for that is "Thug Life" 

Edited by Steelbenz - July/23/2009 at 03:19
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 06:28
did any of you hear that vic also got busted by the i.r.s for pissing in there elevators repeatedly?? and then when they caught him and asked him why he was doing that he said cause i wanted to see if i could get away with it. he is a p.o.s if you ask me. i dont understand how somebody so talented could just piss it all away like that. there are hundreds of thousands of people without a job right now who give their left arm to ride the pine and make league minimum right now. 
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 06:45
Arrogance knows no bounds.  Apparently Vic considers himself above everyone else, hence his behavior.  It is rather obvious that he considered himself above the law and probably still does.  One of the LAST people I would want in a role model position for my kids or grandkids to see and emmulate.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2009 at 02:00
I find it hilarious that the closer you get to "Down town" areas the more likely you are to find those that did and still think he was set up, and did nothing wrong. "Free Vick" bumper stickers and such. His conviction had nothing to do with his race, yet the support for him and his actions are very race related. Strange, very strange. No I don't think that any football player, or professional athlete should be of such character.... Too many that look up to and try to emulate them. Remember the "Be like Vick" ads? Sports today is a advertising, and merchandising gimick. Our children eat sleep and dream this crap because of it.
No to the THUGS.......All of them.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2009 at 13:21

[.... by not paying attention to sports, I do not have all of these facts and figures and events and incidents in my head.  You see, I have Saved all of that Room in my Brain to be used for other topics and intalektual persuits...........Bucky  ]

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2009 at 17:15
Smile  Well said sir, Well said! Cool
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2009 at 22:34
I'm getting into this a little late....... but still feel compelled to spew forth some of my thoughts....... here we go, you might want to buckle up, it could get bumpy!   I find it somewhat ironic that folks who think there is something historic, noble or whatever word you want to use, about shooting an animal like a deer or elk or pheasant, and then eating it get so worked up about dog fighting, cock fighting and what goes along with it!  Now I'm not condoning it, but I've seen a few dog fights - of the natural occurance, and thought it was pretty damn cool!  Just like I've seen Lion fights on Discovery when a Pride is taken over.

We also want our ball players (especially football and hockey) to be the toughest, meanest badest dudes on the field, but expect them to be perfect gentlemen when the final whistle blows! 

I don't have any idea of what kind of person Vic is and I really don't give a sh*t.  He did something that was against the law, got caught and went to Prison.  He did his time according to the law and now he is out.  Unless he breaks the law again by doing the same thing........... he should have the right to persue his livelyhood.  Don't make any mistake about it, he, nor any other "athlete" is NOT a hero.... they might do something heroic during the coarse of a game or season, but they are not heros.  Are they role models?  To some they are but that's their issue, not ours.  You don't want your kid to be like Mike/Vic/whoever, get them involved in something else.  Shut off your TV or better yet, throw it in the trash!

Now those who I've offended might be way smarter than me and might be able to write something after reading my post that makes me look stupid or insensitive.  That's ok, I know I'm not perfect.  But come on........ this is the U. S. OF A.  the greatest country in the whole world.......... let the man play the game!

P.S.  a little background...... I think people who have pets and treat them like people are f**king nuts and should be bitch slapped into next week.  If you're one of those kinds of people.... become a mentor and make a difference in a Human life!  And stop telling me how smart Fifi is......... unless she's smarter than you, I don't give a $hit about that either!!!!

Edited by Tip69 - August/04/2009 at 06:13
take em!
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 08:21

It dosen't matter anyways. He will be locked up or thrown out of the NFL again in 3 years anyways.Then him and his first class broth-a can be bunk mates.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2009 at 05:55
Well, nobody's jumping at the chance to sign Vick....it would be hilarious if he couldn't get a contract.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2009 at 07:15
I think it would be very fitting and send an important message to the rest of players.
--Thomas Jefferson

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2009 at 18:59
What do you guys think the "message" would be?   Don't break the law?   $hit, the HOF is full of guys who broke the law!  Why do think it would be funny?   I think it would be sad!
take em!
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 06:03
Mike Vick to the Eagles....Whatever
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 06:39
We'll just have to wait and see how he acts.  I'll bet he isn't the least bit contrite.  It surprises me that the Eagles would be the ones to pick him up though!
--Thomas Jefferson

billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 06:48
I think Andy will use him as a wide=out more than as QB. Maybe run the Double=wing like Maimi did last year. He is a hellava athlete,but as a person,so-so.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 07:03
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

I think Andy will use him as a wide=out more than as QB. Maybe run the Double=wing like Maimi did last year. He is a hellava athlete,but as a person,so-so.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking....I don't see him taking very many snaps, other than a few gadget plays.

*I still wish nobody had signed him*
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 07:09
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

I'm getting into this a little late....... but still feel compelled to spew forth some of my thoughts....... here we go, you might want to buckle up, it could get bumpy!   I find it somewhat ironic that folks who think there is something historic, noble or whatever word you want to use, about shooting an animal like a deer or elk or pheasant, and then eating it get so worked up about dog fighting, cock fighting and what goes along with it!  Now I'm not condoning it, but I've seen a few dog fights - of the natural occurance, and thought it was pretty damn cool!  Just like I've seen Lion fights on Discovery when a Pride is taken over.

We also want our ball players (especially football and hockey) to be the toughest, meanest badest dudes on the field, but expect them to be perfect gentlemen when the final whistle blows! 

I don't have any idea of what kind of person Vic is and I really don't give a sh*t.  He did something that was against the law, got caught and went to Prison.  He did his time according to the law and now he is out.  Unless he breaks the law again by doing the same thing........... he should have the right to persue his livelyhood.  Don't make any mistake about it, he, nor any other "athlete" is NOT a hero.... they might do something heroic during the coarse of a game or season, but they are not heros.  Are they role models?  To some they are but that's their issue, not ours.  You don't want your kid to be like Mike/Vic/whoever, get them involved in something else.  Shut off your TV or better yet, throw it in the trash!

Now those who I've offended might be way smarter than me and might be able to write something after reading my post that makes me look stupid or insensitive.  That's ok, I know I'm not perfect.  But come on........ this is the U. S. OF A.  the greatest country in the whole world.......... let the man play the game!

P.S.  a little background...... I think people who have pets and treat them like people are f**king nuts and should be bitch slapped into next week.  If you're one of those kinds of people.... become a mentor and make a difference in a Human life!  And stop telling me how smart Fifi is......... unless she's smarter than you, I don't give a $hit about that either!!!!
When someone so clearly cannot see or understand the difference between what happens in the wild and "human induced dog fighting", cannot fathom the cruelty of what Vick and his cohorts did, then there is no room for discussion.  
I don't treat pets like people, but have had a few that were smarter than most people I have met...  I'm your huckleberry. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 13:54

Amen KB. Filthadelphia is a good place for Vick and I hope he gets everything he deserves.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 13:57
I would have thought the Raiders would have gotten Vick.....Al Davis loves former inmates. Shocked
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic