OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > The Sports Channel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Should Vic be allowed to play in the NFL?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should Vic be allowed to play in the NFL?
    Posted: July/22/2009 at 14:39

On one side you can claim that he served his time and his debt has been paid to society so he should be allowed to rejoin the NFL.  He only abused animals after all and other NFL stars have done worse.  Didn't Donte Stallworth kill a person (not an animal) and only get an 8 game suspention?

On the other side you could say that the NFL is a privilege and people that are not good role models to our children should not be allowed to be in that position.  Convicted felons can no longer vote or buy a firearm even after paying their debt to society.  A felony conviction can cause doctors and lawyers to lose their right to be doctors or lawyers.
scooter65 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 14:59
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

On one side you can claim that he served his time and his debt has been paid to society so he should be allowed to rejoin the NFL.  He only abused animals after all and other NFL stars have done worse.  Didn't Donte Stallworth kill a person (not an animal) and only get an 8 game suspention?

On the other side you could say that the NFL is a privilege and people that are not good role models to our children should not be allowed to be in that position.  Convicted felons can no longer vote or buy a firearm even after paying their debt to society.  A felony conviction can cause doctors and lawyers to lose their right to be doctors or lawyers.

The law has been broken and the debt paid (as per our laws)...  Should they let him play.. no rule against it...

I think the fans will decide this one.  If he is a negative draw, he won't make it.  If the fans forgive and accept and he can still play... Then it will be what it will be.

Lets not forget Mikey... he rapes, gets convicted and still comes out and boxes... He still got crowds and he still bit off ears......... 

We live in a warped world.  Athletes are entertainers, not heros... Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge sports nut... BUT, lets keep things in perspective.

Give me a cop, a fireman, a nurse, doctor, armed forces.. teachers anytime... There's our heros.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 15:20
Sports figures have NEVER been heroes to me... some are very good at what they do, but there is nothing "heroic" about it. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 15:23
You don't have to be a "hero" to be a role model.  I don't think anyone thinks of athletes as heroes as they do nothing heroic.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 15:31
I know a number of people who call sports players "heroes" and they are touted in the sports casts as "heroes" all the time...
I fully agree that they DO have a responsibility as role models and many fail to live up to that responsibility.  I, personally, would not let Vic play again... what he did was by choice and on no level excuseable.  "Just" animals... hmmmm.  And, according to the "definition", WE, HUMANS, ARE animals.  Some of the things humans do are more animalistic than any other animal I have ever seen...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 15:53

He's a dog killer, a thug and a POS.  But he's in the enertainment buisness....just like R Kelly, 50 cent,  Wesley Snipes, Dog the Bounty Hunter and so on.  So I suppose he should be allowed to play again....the BEST THING would be if he was allowed to play, but none of the 32 teams wanted him.  That would send a good message (but it won't happen).

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 16:00
He didn't just kill them, he tortured them...

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 16:01
Chris, I think you hit the nail on the head with the stallworth thing.  I know some people will be pissed at me but as much as I love my dogs.  It's just a dog!!!  Other people have killed people and didn't get as bad a rap as he got. A figgin' dog is more important than a human being.  What world are we living in.  PETA does not run the US. 
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 16:10
His sentence was not solely based on animal abuse, it was also organized crime or racketeering I think.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 16:17
yes they use RICO for way more than it was designed for.

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 16:18
Hold your horses there Steel.  First, the question was about Vic... "Should Vic be allowed to play in the NFL?".  Stallworth is a different question altogether. 
I don't think there was ever any indication that "dogs more important than a human being" entered into the equation.  Stallworth, while an idiot, was a drunken driver... he got off far too lightly (should be imprisoned for manslaughter and at the very least be required to HEAVILY compensate the family of his unintended victim), but the level of his crime does not reach the intentional torture and destruction of hapless dogs who are our wards.  We, "humans", were given, by God, their usage and oversight.  Any animal we "domesticate", we owe our protection.  I don't believe you can condone torture and wanton destruction of dogs, any more than humans.  We were given the power of choice, to do good or evil.  Dogs pretty much only do what we entice or force them to.  Dogs are not "more important than a human being", but the cruelty shown them is often an indicator of our true selves.  And by the way, I have nothing against the People Eating Tasty Animals organization...

SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 16:25
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

but the level of his crime does not reach the intentional torture and destruction of hapless dogs who are our wards.

Getting drunk and deciding to drive is as intentional as it gets.  Killing a person, no matter how, is far worse than killing an animal.  The NFL would be miles ahead if they got rid of any and all players that break the law.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 16:35
I don't know if you drink or not, but I was a bartender for many years.  1) very few actually start out to get drunk... which is why all drunken driving incidents where people are killed do not qualify as MURDER, 2) once one IS drunk, all qualification of "intention" goes out the window, 3) "Killing a person, no matter how, is far worse than killing an animal"... I simply do not believe that... words mean things, consider carefully what you just said.  I have a son-in-law who just returned from Iraq and another who is now in Afghanistan.  You are telling me that what they do in service of their country, you, is worse than what Vic did?

I would like to point out that I KNOW for a fact John is not comparing Vic's attrocities with what our combat personnel do in battle... my statement was to emphasize how those unfamiliar with the people of this forum may misinterpret what is said.  There was no intent to indicate that he did believe that or that he has other than the highest respect for our military, LEO, and emergency personnel.  I hope he does not misunderstand my intention. 

And in clarification, Vic's killing of the animals, while I have tremendous disdain for him for that, is not my major complaint with him... it is the cruel, heartless, agonizing manner in which many of the animals were killed and Vic's participation in and condonement of those actions.  It is a FACT that most serial killers get their start abusing animals, move on to people when the "kicks" aren't as great.  We do not know where this perversion had taken, would have taken, (still might take) him.  I certainly hold Vic in no higher esteem than the pitiful creatures he tormented and destroyed...

Edited by Kickboxer - July/22/2009 at 17:26

Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 16:46
He did his time, we don't have to like the guy but if the NFL wants him back as an employee of their business then let him play. That doesn't mean I liked what he did, nobody likes what he did, but letting him play in the NFL is not like saying what he did is forgotten...
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 16:51
Actually, Monster, it IS...
Did his time, OK, paid his "debt to society" maybe... entitled to go back to earning $M/year playing a sport in front of impressionable young children, I disagree.  Regardless, if he is allowed to return, it tells EVERYONE that what he did wasn't much, that what he did is really OK.  We just disagree, man.  He doesn't deserve the return to the sport. 

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 17:01
Stallworth at least was forthright, truthful, confessed right off the bat. He took responsibility for his actions, unlike the other guy. 
Dante made a mistake by driving under the influence and the guy walked out in front of him, if IIRC.

Vick's deal is all together different. He abused, maimed, and savagely killed a number of animals and PROFITED from it. LIED his ass off when confronted about it to boot.   
This is wayyy more than a mistake or youthful indiscretion. 
It's a HUGE character flaw at best, and signs of psychopathic personality at worse.  
I laughed out loud when I saw Vick would be working "fervently" with The Humane Society.....Roll Eyes

Put him back on the block slinging rock, but I say HELL NO to his reinstatement to the NFL. He likes the thug life.....
I don't think any NFL GM will take a chance on him any way.....(save Al Davis) Loco  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 17:08

Convicted felons can no longer vote or buy a firearm even after paying their debt to society.  A felony conviction can cause doctors and lawyers to lose their right to be doctors or lawyers.

If you do your time, you should get your voting and gun rights back upon your release.
Even if your crime was gun related.   
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 17:08
Jerry Jones has a pretty good track record of signing rejects that no one else wants, but I think he has learned his lesson that these type of characters can not be reformed.  T.O. couldn't change, Tank Johnson couldn't change and neither could Pac-Man Jones.  They all resorted back to the same type of behavior that made them problematic outcast and they are all now gone from the Cowboys.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 17:15
Right or wrong, the flack/negative press that any NFL team would receive if they picked up Vick, would probably discourage most GM's from even considering him.

Too bad because he's such a nice young man.....just misunderstood.  

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 17:58
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Convicted felons can no longer vote or buy a firearm even after paying their debt to society.  A felony conviction can cause doctors and lawyers to lose their right to be doctors or lawyers.

If you do your time, you should get your voting and gun rights back upon your release.
Even if your crime was gun related.   
Definitely a thought provoking concept.  However, IN MY MIND, that would preclude any possibility of any early release and time would be done in some place like a max security facility in Antarctica...  It would require significant screening of guards with a lot of rotation to ensure prisoners were not mistreated.  Lots of possibilities, but lots of negatives to overcome.  And they could have TV, but it would only show Captain Kangaroo and I Love Lucy... and maybe Andy Griffith. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic