OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.204 Ruger DPMS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 10:45
I think so.  I was looking for a 2nd gun to take p-dogn, and I shot a friend's .204.  Was very impressed by it.  Hardly any recoil, and since you like your .300 Wby, the only way you will know that it has gone off is the pop.  Low recoil is nice to watch the results down range, and it will produce results.  Fairly cheap to reload too.  Cost is around .30 a shell not counting brass.  Reload Brandon's .204 with 27 gr of Reloader 15, 40 gr v-max and CCI 400 primer.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 15:02
The time to target is less on the .204 so the wind has much less time to redirect the bullet path than the same shot with a .223.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 15:27
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

I think so.  I was looking for a 2nd gun to take p-dogn, and I shot a friend's .204.  Was very impressed by it.  Hardly any recoil, and since you like your .300 Wby, the only way you will know that it has gone off is the pop.  Low recoil is nice to watch the results down range, and it will produce results.  Fairly cheap to reload too.  Cost is around .30 a shell not counting brass.  Reload Brandon's .204 with 27 gr of Reloader 15, 40 gr v-max and CCI 400 primer.

I agree wholeheartedly.  There's something to be said about being able to spot your shots in the scope.  Even with a very mild recoiling rifle, it doesn't take much of a jolt to move your target out of the sight picture when your scope is set on relatively high power.  On top of that, .204 will give you longer barrel life than .22-250, with essentially the same down range results.  I've quickly fallen in love with the .204; it's my favorite varmint round!  So much fun to shoot!  It's like the best of both worlds -- performance of a .22-250 with barrel life and powder consumption of a .223.

Of all the loads I've tried, my rifle likes 25.7 gr Benchmark, 39 gr SBK, CCI BR4 primers best.  Though I've had great accuracy with several loads, that load produces such fantastic accuracy (sub- 0.5 MOA) I haven't seen the need to experiment with anything else.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 15:47

you guys are gonna mess around and make me go out and buy a 204!

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 18:13
how does the .204 deal with wind compared to the .224 stuff??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 20:32
Heard a lot of good things about the 204.  I still like the idea of having a heavier bullet for the bigger varmints or wolves if I get a tag for them.

To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 21:10
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

how does the .204 deal with wind compared to the .224 stuff??

Previous page, Hunter...
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 21:13
thanks ted, my bad.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 21:54
definitely a nice rifle ..
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 09:30
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Heard a lot of good things about the 204.  I still like the idea of having a heavier bullet for the bigger varmints or wolves if I get a tag for them.

I would put wolves in a different category of varmint.  I have witnessed quite a few coyotes taken with the .204. 
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 10:14

I would agree with you. Wolves are much bigger and a real threat to our deer and elk out here. I know the 204 is a great round and puts a hurting on coyotes. I have no doubts that it would take a wolf as well. I would like to play with a 204 but I just have a special spot in my heart for my 22-250. Also a fan of the heavier bullets in most of my rifles. Just a personal preference.

On a side note. I have read a couple different articles lately claiming that the wolves introduced in Yellowstone are actually not native to this area like the experts claim. Thought that was interesting.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 10:18
Don't worry, my first love is my .22-250 as well. 

Very interesting note on the wolves.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 10:23
I will try to see if I can find it online and post it. I read it in a paper published here in MT. They did an interview of three guys that have been in wildlife stuff for about 30 years. Forget were I saw the other article.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 12:35
The 204 round is a good one. This is a rifle I just got and shot very few times and propably going to sell. I just can't get into the AR rifle for some reason. I have had a few but nothing about them has triped my trigger. This rifle shoots clover leafs with 5 shots @100yrds with factory winchster 32gr something or anothers. I have not tested any further yet.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 13:12
Looks good Brandon.  so you gonna sell it?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 21:47
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

I would agree with you. Wolves are much bigger and a real threat to our deer and elk out here. I know the 204 is a great round and puts a hurting on coyotes. I have no doubts that it would take a wolf as well. I would like to play with a 204 but I just have a special spot in my heart for my 22-250. Also a fan of the heavier bullets in most of my rifles. Just a personal preference.

On a side note. I have read a couple different articles lately claiming that the wolves introduced in Yellowstone are actually not native to this area like the experts claim. Thought that was interesting.

i feel the same way about the .243, love it for yotes.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 23:15

.204 is less bothered by the wind because of the short flight time. 4000 fps is honking it on. I shot a friend's .204 and want one BAD. I was able to see the holes made in the target before the recoil shifted the focus of the scope. "100 yards" Not much recoil at all, and accurate as all get out. Only thing I'm not sure about is barrel heat on an auto loader .204, the one I shot was a bolt gun and it really didn't seem to get hot like some .223's do so a range report from a .204 auto loader would be most welcome. 

I'm all ears.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Our new puppy. Cricket

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2010 at 07:50

I shot 25 thru mine and the heat was more than I would have liked. There was 5 seconds inbetween shoots. I'm sure if you got out and put 100 thru her as fast as you can it would be a few hours before she cooled but 25 in 3 minues or so i could still hold the barrle with out smelling flesh burning.It took 15 minutes for it to completly cool. Like I said above I love the 204 round i'm not an Ar guy. I have owened 3 and still can't catch the black rifle bug.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2010 at 08:22
Maybe you should try a bigbore AR.... maybe you'd like the Tim Allen AR... MORE POWER!!!
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2010 at 08:27
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Maybe you should try a bigbore AR.... maybe you'd like the Tim Allen AR... MORE POWER!!!

Might be right. I think its the semi auto i'm not getting into. I like a good bolt rifle any bolt rifle.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic