OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need knowledge on Bausch & Lomb(early 80's)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wileykia2506 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need knowledge on Bausch & Lomb(early 80's)
    Posted: July/21/2009 at 08:46

I am new to the forum; and I have been eye balling older Japan made Bausch & Lomb scopes.  But not too old.  My question is this:  WOULD A EARLY TO MIDDLE 1980'S MODEL BAUSCH & LOMB 4X40mm RIFLE SCOPE WITH A STANDARD THICKNESS RETICLE(not fine or heavy); STAND UP TO RECOIL?  IT WOULD BE ON A GAS-OPERATED REMINGTON MODEL 1100 CANTILEVER FULLY RIFLED SLUG GUN.  THE RECOIL OF COURSE WOULD BE NOTHING LIKE AN AFRICAN BIG GAME RIFLE; AND NOT EVEN AS BAD AS PUMP OR SINGLE SHOT 12 GUAGES; GIVEN THAT THE GAS OPERATION SYSTEM HELPS SOFTEN RECOIL CONSIDERABLY.  I OWN SEVERAL BUSHNELL ELITE 4200'S AND I AM FASCINATED WITH THE INTERNAL ADJUSTMENT JAPAN MADE BAUSCH & LOMB SCOPES.  FROM WHAT RESEARCH i'VE FOUND ON BAUSCH & LOMB; I GATHER THAT THEY ARE A WELL RESPECTED SCOPE.  CAN SOMEBODY WITH EXPERIENCE PLEASE TELL ME MORE ABOUT THIS SCOPE PLEASE. 4X40mm EARLY TO MIDDLE 80'S MODEL STANDARD RETICLE; OPTICS SEEM SUPER CLEAR. 

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2009 at 09:24
risk vs reward

The warranty on the scope is lifetime - so long as you are the original owner.

As the scope is older, and you ain't the original owner, and you wish to put the scope on a heavy-recoil gun, I'd recommend you only do it if the deal is really, really good - and you are willing to destroy the scope.

If it is a great deal, sure, what the hell; otherwise, I'd consider other options.

B&L made great scopes, but my guess is that they'll be fairly expensive to repair.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
wileykia2506 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wileykia2506 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2009 at 13:59
The scope is in brand new condition and has never been mounted.  It is so good looking; it just attracts me; and most of the 4 power scopes made today don't have 40mm objectives; 4x32mm is the most common.  The asking price is $159.  But for that price, I could also get a Bushnell Elite 2-7x?(i think 32,33, or 36mm).  I found a couple at this price.  brand new in box.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2009 at 14:15
risk vs reward

Are you willing to risk the $159 and end up with a scope that breaks and costs $300 to repair?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2009 at 17:48
Buy a Leupold for $159 and then if it breaks they will fix it for free. 
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
skilly1979 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skilly1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 23:16
just get the darn bausch if you like it so much. dont let no one talk you out of nothin you want to buy, its your cashola.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wileykia2506 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 23:27
MY WIFE IS GOING TO BUY IT FOR ME FRIDAY; I HAVE FOUND THAT BUSHNELL ELITES HAVE CRITICAL EYE RELIEF; THE 3.0 INCH EYE RELIEF IS TOLERABLE ON A RIFLE, BUT i CANNOT HAVE IT ON A SLUG GUN.  I JUST FOUND THAT SWFA HAS SCOPE THAT REALLY SOUNDS GOOD FOR DEER HUNTING ON MY SLUG GUN.  RIGHT NOW I HAVE A TROPHY 1.75-4X32MM BUSHNELL.  IT HAS HELD THE SAME ZERO FOR YEARS.  GREAT SCOPE; BUT WHAT I'M AFTER, IS A BRIGHTER IMAGE; WELL SWFA HAS A BUSHNELL TROPHY 1.5-6X42MM  AND 30MM MAIN TUBE.  SO NOT ONLY WILL THE BIGGER OBJECTIVE COLLECT MORE LIGHT; THE 30MM MAIN TUBE WILL HELP ALSO.  AND IT GOES UP TO 6 POWER FOR GREATER MAGNIFICATION.  IT'S GOT ME EXCITED!  AND ABOVE ALL IT DOES HAVE ANOTHER HALF INCH OF EYE RELIEF.  SO I COULD GET THAT FOR $149 OR THE IMMACULATE GOOD LOOKING BAUSCH & LOMB 4X40MM THAT I JUST CAN'T GET OFF MY MIND. 
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 23:35
Hey wiley, turn off the caps please. makes it hard to read! And BTW, it is very questionable whether or not the size of the tube adds to light gathering ability. Most times the bigger tube is for more internal adjustment, and more rigity.

Edited by billyburl2 - July/22/2009 at 23:39
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wileykia2506 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 23:39

I've owned two Leupold's and will not buy any more.  One of them was $300 and didn't even have audible click adjustments.  Sold them both.  Bushnell Elite's Optical quality surpasses Leupold's(up to there $500-$600 range anyway). 

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wileykia2506 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 23:44

More adjustment is always a plus.  I have a Burris EuroDiamond with 30mm tube and use it on my AR-15 at a local assault rifle competition every 6 months; and I don't know why, but I do like the larger tube, even though it is only 5mm more in diameter.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic