OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which scope for H&R style Muzzleloader?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which scope for H&R style Muzzleloader?
    Posted: July/21/2009 at 08:07
I was going to go with a 32mm scope but these straight tube scopes would fit and look better I believe on my MDM BUCKWACKA Muzzleloader or ever a Marlin 336 in 30-30. Which of these scopes would you go with and why? I can get any one of these for around $150.00.    

(1) BURRIS TIMBERLINE 4X20 (PLEX)
(2) WEAVER V 1-3 X20(PLEX)
(3) PENTAX LIGHTSEEKER 2.5X20 (DEEPWOODS PLEX)

These guns are primarily woods and treestand guns. I am only worried about how bright they may be in low light, when your in the woods its still fairly dark even after the sun comes up.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2009 at 08:33
  I'd go with the Weaver due to it's ruggedness. I just read on an Alaskan forum of someone using it on their .375H&H and .416 Ruger with no problems.
  As far as low light capabilities,the 20mm tube on the 4X Burris may not be good and I can't find any info on a Pentax Lightseeker in 2.5x20 (discontinued model?) but sounds like a good possibility.

Found some info on that Pentax. GOOD eye relief,light wt,probably the best of the 3 you list as far a low light capability. Just not sure about ruggedness. Maybe someone will comment on it.

Edited by 300S&W - July/21/2009 at 10:28
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 13:22
I know the crosshairs are same look as the Bushnell Circle X reticle but I am wondering if they are thicker or thinner lines on the Pentax Deep Woods Plex? I liked the Bushnell Trophy shotgun scope but its lenses had a lot of glare and reflection on the lens in the daylight. I prefer multicoated lenses that dont shine too much. I did like the Cirlcle X reticle. I wonder if 2.5 is enough magnification. Also, the Pentax comes in Mossy Oak. Will Pentax still cover any warranty work if the scope is painted Matte Black?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 14:00
 The web site I got my info on the Pentax scope from shows it in a matte finish,special order,and at a good bit more than $150.  Also,it's a 2.5x25mm.

I've got a Weaver Classic K2.5 on a .243 Ruger Compact Carbine and haven't needed more magnification for the distances I hunt with it (out to 200+yds).

As far as reticles thickness specs go,they're hard to find out about in some scope brands.

GOOD glass/coatings are what you want for top low light capabilities.  That's why I figure the Pentax to be the best of the ones you list.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2009 at 14:00
Well, I found a Pentax Lightseeker 2.5x25 with Deep Woods plex for $90.00 said to be like new except for light ring marks. I also found a Weaver Classic 4x32 shotgun scope for $90.00 brand new. Both are fairly cheap and light, both are fully multicoated. The weaver has a plex reticle. I am not sure which to go with, I will probably go with the Pentax just not sure about the Circle x reticle thickness on it. Its hard to find a scope for my MDM Buckwaka Muzzleloader since I cant find any one piece bases with extra ring slots for it (Knight rifle bases fit) and the hammer is to short and close to the action break lever to put a hammer extension on it. Im trying to find a scope that will mount very low and put the eyebell just behind the hammer so I can put my thumb between the hammer and scope tube. The only scope I had that worked was an old Tasco Pronghorn 4x32 but it isnt exactly what I want optically in dim light.
    Well between these two scopes which I think might work which do you guys think? Ill probably try the Pentax which I believe is just the old Burris fullfield II 2.5x20 shotgun scope that has been discontinued but I hope the Pentax lightseeker has better glass and coatings.

Edited by DAVE44 - August/07/2009 at 14:01
amk204 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2009 at 16:06
check out the weaver 4x38 k or the 4x28 handgun. 4x38 will gather more light than the 20mm, or the handgun should let you mount it flush or ahed of the breach for total hammer clearance.
Life is to short to shoot an ugly gun
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic