OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Clamp on mount for K31

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clamp on mount for K31
    Posted: July/20/2009 at 17:59
So, I think I want to put a scope on my K31, however I am a little unsure or which style bases and rings to use. The mount that I have been looking at is a clamp on sold by Graf & Son's, but appears to only accept the 3/8th style rings? I was under the impression these dovetail style rings were typical of airguns and .22's. Are they going to stand up to the recoil of this gun, or do I need to either look into a different mounting system or some kind of conversion for this one so it accepts standard weaver style or something along those lines?
-Michael
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 18:35
The Darrell's mount worked fine for me, although I replaced the brass screws with steel (and tried not to tighten down to hard so I wouldn't mar the finish on the action).
Reaction time is a factor...
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 21:10
yours was the clamp on scout mount that attaches to the rear sight?
-Michael
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2009 at 07:53
I think that is the only type that Darrell makes, but I'm not sure.
 I take it you (Mlv2k5) have the St. Marie product that clamps to the receiver, offset slightly to the right?
 This is the one I have, available in steel or aluminum. Mine's steel; I have it mounted to the gun, but don't have a scope on mine yet either.
It accepts only 3/8 dovetail rings. I wish it were cut for Weaver type but that's not how they made it.
I'm sure a good set of rings will hold fine, the K-31 really doesn't kick all that hard and the mount has a recoil stop at the front to prevent it from sliding out from under the scope during recoil.
I think St. Marie recommends Millett rings, but I'm sure there are probably better ones than those available. I don't like the narrow claw on the ones I've seen. Just my opinion, and I've never used them so take that with a grain of salt...

Edited again to add:

I just measured my St. Marie mount. The dovetail measures .475" wide across the top of the dovetail, about .400" wide at the bottom, and about .100" high.
( I don't know how the industry determines allowable tolerances for grooved receivers on .22s, but 3/8" equals .375", if anybody cares or needs to know.)

Edited by RONK - July/22/2009 at 22:19
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2009 at 13:04
I use Warne 7.3 rings with my St.Marie mount.

ILya
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2009 at 13:07
This is the one I would do.

http://www.rocksolidind.com/gpage.html

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2009 at 14:46
I should mention I used a 2.5X Leupold Scout Scope since the Darrell's mount is so far forward. It worked well, but that could be a limitation. I got other stuff from St. Marie and would recommend his products highly. Check out the various options @ http://www.swissrifles.com/~swiss-sights/
I don't know how active he is now, but Pierre St. Marie probably knows more about these rifles than anybody so that's another reason to go with one of his mounts.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2009 at 18:06
 Great thread for us K-31 fanatics!
  I agree with Jono about the high quality of St. Marie mounts, and I wouldn't hesitate to go with Darrell's either, if I wanted a scout-type setup. He also has a great reputation.
 Supertool's link shows a great looking setup that accepts Weaver rings and it mounts the scope centered over the bore- until now, I have never heard of it. It's a bit pricey, but would probably be the best one to use if you can bring yourself to drill and tap your K-31.
I could probably do it, but it would make me cry like a little girl!
 I think I'll go with Koskin's suggestion for Warne 7.3s on my clamp-on St. Marie and let you know how they work.
 In fact, I'm going to order them right now!
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2009 at 23:44
Here's what one looks like with the Darrells mount:

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 07:07
 That scout setup is pretty nice Jon.
Have you shot it much?
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 13:35
Well considering that I have seen some K-31 sniper and match rifles selling from between $3,000 and $5,000 with optics, it shouldn't be hard to drill and tap a $150-$300 K-31 for a scope. May not like it, but it's easier.
I would have done it a couple of years ago, but the safety on the K-31 is unacceptable for a hunting rifle to me. I do love the trigger though.
I would like to sporterize a M-95 Steyer, and put a low power EER scope on it.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 18:04
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

That scout setup is pretty nice Jon.
Have you shot it much?

I don't own that rifle anymore. I probably put about 200 rounds through it and then got more interested in my LTR and stopped shooting it. It wasn't like my M1 Garand, which I would never part with.

BeltFed, is it because the safety is harder to move to fire quickly?
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 19:44
Koshkin, are the 7.3 Warne's available through any of the major commercial retailers or is that something I would need to special order? I dont have much experience with Warne stuff as I've always used weaver style mounts.
-Michael
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 19:59
http://swfa.com/Warne-22-Rimfire-Rings-C1277.aspx
 These are the .22 rings, which Warne also refers to as the 7.3 models. They have a reversible claw that allows them to fit various dovetail widths.

See my edited first post on page 1 for clarification of applicable dimensions.

Edited by RONK - July/22/2009 at 22:22
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 21:09
[QUOTE=BeltFed]Well considering that I have seen some K-31 sniper and match rifles selling from between $3,000 and $5,000 with optics, it shouldn't be hard to drill and tap a $150-$300 K-31 for a scope. May not like it, but it's easier. [QUOTE] 

No, it's a personal matter for me, as I don't really care to see old military rifles permanantly altered unnecessarily, mainly from the standpoint of trying to preserve a bit of the history behind them. I'm not a fanatic about it though; it's your rifle to do with as you please.
 It's just that today's Mausers and Springfield 1903s are tomorrow's Brown Bess muskets, at least to some degree.

Edited by RONK - July/22/2009 at 22:06
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 01:09
Yes, I would also prefer not to permanently alter the rifle by drillin and tapping it for a scope. I am curious as to how other people have faired with the warne dovetail setup? any problems with recoil loosening the rings from the base? It doesn't really matter to me if the setup is intended for rimfire guns AS LONG AS IT WORKS. There is a great deal of recoil difference between a .22 and the 7.5x55 Swiss though.
-Michael
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 10:49
JonoMT, yes, I find that taking the safety off (and on) is a little awkward and slow for many hunting situations. While it is a very positive safety, it just requires to much movement to manipulate it. That's why I'm thinking about sporterizing the Steyer M95. The safety can be manipulated by the thumb without changing your grip. It doesn't have as nice a trigger, but the safety is faster to work.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 15:11
Originally posted by mlv2k5 mlv2k5 wrote:

Yes, I would also prefer not to permanently alter the rifle by drillin and tapping it for a scope. I am curious as to how other people have faired with the warne dovetail setup? any problems with recoil loosening the rings from the base? It doesn't really matter to me if the setup is intended for rimfire guns AS LONG AS IT WORKS. There is a great deal of recoil difference between a .22 and the 7.5x55 Swiss though.

I ordered the Warne rings yesterday, and have no worries about them moving. They would be no more susceptible from loosening under repeated recoil than any other ring which uses a screw or nut to clamp the ring to the base, including all the Mongo tactical heavyweights.
 As far as the rings sliding forward while snug, because they don't have a cross slot to lock into as Weavers do, (which is in reality more of a case in which the gun/mount is being jerked out backwards from under the scope/rings with every shot), the integral recoil stop protruding from the top front of the dovetail would easily prevent that. This is assuming that you mount the front ring in contact with the stop to begin with.
 No worries here, YMMV...

mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2009 at 20:51
RONK, I hadn't thought about the integral recoil stop, with all of that considered and the fact that the 7.5X55 is hardly a monster recoiling round, I think the Warne style rings should do just fine for my setup. I'll post some pictures once I get everything put together. Thanks for the input everybody.
-Michael
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2009 at 23:05

I hope to have my new Warne rings this week, just not sure what scope I'll put in them though. I'm glad you started this thread. It reminded and motivated me to get my K-31 scoped up finally. I've had the stupid mount for a couple years now, basically collecting dust!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic