OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

So whats the deal with the 7x36 format?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaocaholica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 19:37
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

I just measured my 8x43.  It is 6" long with eye cup collapsed 6.5" extended.  It is 5" wide across the objective at max IPD.

Hmm, thats barely any different from the dimensions I used for the 7x36.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 20:16
Sheeeeesh.  My bad.  6.5" collapsed and 7" extended.  Sorry about that.  The 7x36 is not going to seem "compact'"in the way we are used to with some of the x32 class of compacts we are used to.  These will be a slightly different breed of cat, I'm thinking.

Edited by Klamath - July/23/2009 at 20:18
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

shaocaholica View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaocaholica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 20:26
But isn't one of the reasons why people want the 7x35 format back is compactness?  Or is that low on the list?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 20:56

A lot of people may like maximum compactness.  I will take a the decrease in size of the 36mm over the 42 mm while retaining the 5mm exit pupil.  I will also take the increased depth of field and increased fov of the ZEN.  This has a 36mm objective and this by itself will make it bigger than most x32's. I also happen to like 7x, so this is just about the ideal set up for me.  Maybe not for others.

Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 21:23
Another reason some may like the 7x36 is the decrease in weight, 22 oz. vs. 27 oz for the
8x43.  Especially birders who spend a lot of time with them in view.
bald1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bald1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2009 at 12:02
NDhunter,

The weight issue is germane for me as well.  As much as I love my Swaro 7x42B SLCs, their 33.5 ounces has become an annoyance now that I'm in my retirement years.  I've pre-ordered the ZenRay 7x36s with hope that they prove good enough for me to consider retiring or selling my Swaros.

The other issue is that as I've aged, the max power I can hold steady enough to provide a relaxing view has decreased.  These days the highest I own is 9x and I find myself much preferring my 7x, 6.5x, and even 6x bins :)
Zen-Ray View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zen-Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 11:23

There are a lot of excellent discussion on 7x36 ED2 on this thread.  To give a little background, 7x36ED2 is actually born out of collective suggestion on a discussion started by SteveC on different forum.  Thank you, Steve!

In the past, we always designed and produced products first and tried to convince customers that they should buy those products. Now, it is really refreshing to reverse the process and design a product based on what customers want.  From the orders we received, I am genuinly surprised to see so many people like 7x36 format. Again, I should not be surprised either since that's what many people want the very beginning.

Since there are many advancements in 7x36, we decided to extend those features to 8x43 and 10x43 formats as well. As a result, we end up having a complete line-up of new ZEN ED2 products.

Charles
Zen-Ray Optics
Follow us on Facebook
cajunhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2009 at 17:17
Any chance you guys coming out with a really nice 6x32.  I am looking to add this.  I want a nice light, compact bino like the leica ultravid 8x32.   Mainly for bowhunting and low mag situations but there is nothing wrong with a 6 power. 
Zen-Ray View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zen-Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2009 at 00:02
In near term, there is no plan for 32mm yet. I sure will let Chris and this forum know if anything new is coming up.
Charles
Zen-Ray Optics
Follow us on Facebook
Zen-Ray View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zen-Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2009 at 09:39
A few pictures of 7x36 ED2

Charles
Zen-Ray Optics
Follow us on Facebook
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2009 at 09:41
Cool.........Cool
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
kristoffer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristoffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 14:26
I am really looking forward to getting my pair now, they look really nice too!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic