OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

So whats the deal with the 7x36 format?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaocaholica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So whats the deal with the 7x36 format?
    Posted: July/20/2009 at 15:50
Seems like there's a lot of raving about the new Zen-Ray 7x36.  Can someone explain whats so nice about this configuration?  I was thinking about pre-ordering the 8x43s for hiking but now I'm wondering what all the fuss is about 7x36.  Perhaps its the compact size?  When I'm hiking, I'm usually packing my photo gear and water on a harness so I'm already carrying a lot of weight.  I'm not sure if the weight/size diff between 7x36 and 8x43 will really impact me.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 16:07
Generally, it is easier to hold a lower power bino steady and because of their lower magnification you can get away with a smaller objective lense hence lighter and more compact. Personally, my favorite configuration is a 8x42/43.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 16:34
7x35 was the standard American size for a general use.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 16:41
If one pays some attention to several different optics forums, one thing that come up a lot is the stated desire for a really good compact 7x30-something binocular.  There is not a lot of immediately apparent magnification difference in 7x and 8x unless you are stretching to, or even past the limits of what should be expected from a 7-8x binocular.  What the appeal is, there is a full 5mm exit pupil with very little size increase over the typical 8x32.  If I read specs correctly, the 7x36 ZEN ED 2 will be only about about 1/2" longer than the Swarovski EL.  The depth of field is usually quite a bit better in a 7x binocular, as that depth is primarily a function of magnification (less depth with increase in magnification).  So the 7x can be a pretty much focus free sort of deal, somewhat like the IF with a CF wheel. 

There is a bit brighter image with the decrease in magnification, and a corresponding decrease in image shake, which along with the wider 7x field of view, conspire to give a lot of people a better viewing experience.  My major single use binocular since 2005 has largely been a Swift Eaglet 7x36.  The ONLY thing it lacks to be able to take a more serious shot at the next step up in glass, is a larger fov.  That looks like it has been fixed with the ZEN ED.  Oftentimes, I have gotten more use out of the 7x even in open desert hunting, especially when there is a lot of heat mirage.  I would not have guessed, but a 7x is even better there than an 8x, because there is a decreased magnification of heat waves as well.  Sometimes my 7x worked when my 10x was pretty useless.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

shaocaholica View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaocaholica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 17:36
How much bigger can I expect the 8x43 ED2 over the 7x36 ED2?  Will I get that much better low light performance with the 8x43?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 18:15
Well simple physics tells you that there is more light to work with in a 43mm objective.  I see no real practical difference in twilight performance with 7x36 (I have four now) with the 8x42-43 I have.  Sometimes differences may exist, but they may not exist in such an extent that they are readily seen.  The real practical differences is that (at least for me) that there is very nearly 8x43 performance from a 7x36 binocular in a much smaller package.

How much difference?  A target one mile away looks to be at 220 yards with 8x and 250 yards with 7x.

The best image probably wins the "what is that?" contest.

Edited by Klamath - July/20/2009 at 18:17
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaocaholica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 18:38
Right.  Hmm.  Seems like I'll be odering the 7x36 then.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaocaholica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 18:44
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

The best image probably wins the "what is that?" contest.
Although its still yet to be seen what differences there are in image quality between the 7x and 8x ED2s considering they are very similar in design optically.
cajunhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2009 at 18:05
I wonder how they will compare in size to the 8x32 leica and the 6x32 viper?  Anyone got in comments on this.  My next set, I want to compact, light, mountain hiking bowhunting set.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaocaholica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2009 at 18:18
Originally posted by cajunhunter cajunhunter wrote:

I wonder how they will compare in size to the 8x32 leica and the 6x32 viper?  Anyone got in comments on this.  My next set, I want to compact, light, mountain hiking bowhunting set.

According to another forum post, zen-ray quotes in an email that the 7x36 is:

ZR-ED2 7x36 - 5.8x5x1.9" 22oz
Leica 8x32 UV - 4.6x4.6x2.2" 19oz
Viper 6x32 - 4.9x4.8x??" 19oz
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaocaholica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2009 at 18:58
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaocaholica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2009 at 19:00

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2009 at 21:46
Very nice comparison pictures there. Thanks!

Yes, the Zen ED 7x36 will be longer than the typical 8x32 bin. I believe it will be very comparable in length to something like the 8x42 Nikon Monarch but with better ergonomics because of the open bridge design.

I think Steve did an excellent job of highlighting why there is so much buzz over the 7x36. With all of the buzz in the hunting community being over 10x42s and 10x50s more often than not the lower powered binoculars haven't really been given much of the spotlight. Meanwhile some very good, inexpensive, low powered bins like the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 have been winning the hearts of many hunters. Their easy to use, bright, comfortable image makes them ideal for close quarter hunting and even glassing at moderate ranges.

What you are looking at with something like the Zen ED 7x36 is a slight increase in magnification over the Yosemite while drastically widening the field of view and providing the potential for superior optical performance through the use of dielectric mirror coatings on the prisms and ED glass in the objectives to provide sharper, more contrasty images.

I, for one, am greatly looking forward to both of the new Zen ED II models.
Frank
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaocaholica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2009 at 21:59
Whoops, messed up the labels.  Fixed now.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 11:42
How good would a 6x32 Leica Ultavid?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 17:36
How about a size comparison with the 7x36 ZR and the 10x43 so I can appreciate it?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 17:41
Works about the same size difference comparison as exists between the Swarovski EL in x43 vs x32.  Both ZENS are about a half inch longer than their Swaro counterpart.
Steve

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 18:25
If you are lookign for something light and compact, you should also add Vortex Viper 8x42 to the list.  It sacrifices some field of view, but the binocular is one of the more compact 8x42 models I have seen weighing in at 23 ounces. 

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaocaholica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 18:27
Originally posted by cajunhunter cajunhunter wrote:

How about a size comparison with the 7x36 ZR and the 10x43 so I can appreciate it?
Hmm, I can't seem to find the dimensional data on the other Zen EDs.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 18:38
I just measured my 8x43.  It is 6" long with eye cup collapsed 6.5" extended.  It is 5" wide across the objective at max IPD.
Steve

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic