OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Who's preordered Zen-Ray ED2s?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 09:43
Binos are in HAND!  First impression out of my office is WOW!  No comparison to the NIKON ATB's I sold.  Thanks for a quick delivery , Chris.  Super job!  Totally impressed!
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2009 at 11:23
One morning in the woods and I am totally blown away.  Clarity, color, and light transmission on a foggy morning in the SC woods--incredible product!!  Thanks Charles and Zen Ray.  I will post a better review in the near future!

bald1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bald1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2009 at 13:45
I am more than just disappointed that my 7x36 bins did not arrive today as it is my birthday :(   USPS tracking is of no help as all it still shows is that the package was processed through the Portland center on 8-13 at 7:04PM.  Folks in PA and FL among others are reporting receiving theirs today yet here in SD no joy.  
-=[Bob]=-
Zen-Ray View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zen-Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2009 at 14:13
Originally posted by bald1 bald1 wrote:

I am more than just disappointed that my 7x36 bins did not arrive today as it is my birthday :(   USPS tracking is of no help as all it still shows is that the package was processed through the Portland center on 8-13 at 7:04PM.  Folks in PA and FL among others are reporting receiving theirs today yet here in SD no joy.  

Bob, I am so sorry to learn that the package didn't arrive as expected. I found Priority mail works more predictable from coast to coast.  Often time, they do not scan the progress of the package until the package is delivered. I wish you a happy birthday (minus the disappointment from the 7x36 :)) It should show up no later than Monday.  Please let me know what you think once you have it.

Charles
Zen-Ray Optics
Follow us on Facebook
bald1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bald1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2009 at 23:45
Thanks Charles.  I guess hitting the magic 62 and eligibility for social security was unsettling enough to precipitate my lament above.  Sorry. 

Late tonight I found the tracking was finally updated showing that the package left a sort facility 350 miles east of here at 10:02pm Friday night. Bets are it's in a trailer that hadn't been offloaded and sorted before mail was collected for delivery Saturday. At least I know it definitely will be delivered to me Monday.

-=[Bob]=-
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2009 at 10:38
My first impressions are pretty favorable.  Unless some hidden defect shows up. the 7x36 will probably become my main binocular.

The combination of the increase in depth of field shown over higher magnification coupled with the 477' FOV is pretty nice.

The 7x36 is just about the same exact size as the 8x42 Nikon Monarch.  That said it is still about 75% the size of the x43 ZEN ED.

The ZEN ED 2 dielectric coating does indeed appear a bit brighter and has a bit better contrast than the ED 1.  However, I think the difference won't be seen very readily for most people unless the two are side by side.

So far thumbs up for the ED 2.

Edited by Klamath - August/16/2009 at 10:39
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2009 at 08:46
I didn't preorder a pair, but last Friday I was in Dallas anyway so I just went by SWFA and met Chris & Chris face to face and picked up a pair of the ED2 10x43's.  Chris went to great effort to go pick out a few pairs and let me look through each one and cherry pick the one I bought, something he didn't have to do but did so happily.  I thank you very much Chris for going to the truoble, and like I told you, it was a pleasure doing business with you and meeting you. 

I got home and pulled out my long time companion, the Leica 10x42 trinovids that I really love.  They are more than tough with great optics.  However, the Zen's optics are noticably superior in brightness, clarity, and resolution.  As a matter of fact I'd call the Zen's view "spectacular".  Now I realize the trinovids are older technology, and are extremely well built and durable, but they do not stack up to the view of the Zen. 
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2009 at 09:19
I would tend to agree with you JG--I compared the ZEN to 10x42 (?) Ultravids and Vortex Razor 10x50, and for the money, they can't be beat.  As others have previously stated and as we may soon find out from John after his trip to Alaska, we may hear about durability.  I spent this past weekend of opening deer season in SC--the optics of the ZEN are bright and clear--the comparison to my previous ATB's are not even comparable.  The ZEN are probably worth 2-3 times the cost they sell for.  To my eye, they are in the field with The previously mentioned Leica and Vortex in terms of resolution and clarity.  My friend and I compared at dusk the ZEN to a 10x40ish Zeiss, and his first comment was "why are my 1500 dollar Zeiss not as bright and clear as these ZEN's?"  My only issue is the occular caps--they haven't held up well in the field after 3 trips--they won't stay on the bell.  But the glass and the weight and the feel--superb!
bald1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bald1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2009 at 15:21
We'll they're here :) For the last hour I've had them spot welded to my eyes.

I need not have feared. They are providing very bright and crisp views. As far as the edge performance, perhaps it's my 62 year old eyes, but I really have to push things to see problems left or right. Now top and bottom of the field of view I much more readily find deterioration. That said I am not finding it objectionable at all. This with the caveat of but one hour's use mind you.

I have seen the glare bit but boy did I have to work to get it to evidence itself. This is a big non-issue thusfar as well.

There was an oddiity no one else has mentioned thusfar though. When adjusting the IPD with the eye cups fully extracted (viewing without eyeglasses, I found they rubbed the bridge of my nose. This doesn't happen with my Swaros nor did it with a pair of Vortex 10x diamondbacks I once owned, both of which have similar cup styles. And no, my nose isn't big at all nor are my eyes that closely set. Weird......

Anyhow, so much for first impressions. Hoping for some decent skies to see how they do at night. I'm hoping for pinpoint stars without any astigmatism or other ill effects.
-=[Bob]=-
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2009 at 15:32
JGR

As a point of curiosity, did you see much sample to sample variation?

Bob,

Good to see that flare is a non-issue for you too.  From the BF stuff, I was beginning to think I needed to get my eyes checked.

These are seriously good glass.

Edited by Klamath - August/17/2009 at 15:32
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2009 at 16:41
I actually just looked at 2 pair of 10x43 and one pair of 8x43.  The 8x was great, I just prefer the for my open country hunting.  The first 10x was great, but the focus wheel had a very slight amount of play in it.  The 2nd pair didn't so I was good to go.  The first pair would have been fine if I weren't so anal about my optics.  These really are seriously good glass!  
nova88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nova88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2009 at 17:17
i will stick with my reliable steiner 10x42's

have to look through these in person before i jump on the band wagon
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2009 at 18:08
Not too long ago, I had Steiner Peregrine and Peregrine XP binoculars that I reviewed.  The review is posted here in the members review section.  At that time I had both the Promaster ELX ED and the ZEN ED binoculars.  Now I am REALLY partial to the Steiner XP.  I sat there and looked for a substantial enough reason to buy it when I had both the other two ED binoculars.  I just about pulled the trigger, I liked the XP that well, and you have to take my word for this, but it has been a VERY LONG time since I was that tempted on a high ticket item.  As good as the XP is, and I will grant it is in some ways superior to the ZEN ED, there was not significant enough difference for me to part with the cash. 

Now if I were younger and used stuff (including my body) harder than I do now, that might have swung the deal.  But for the way I hunt now, I have no qualms with not getting the XP.  However, if your Steiner's are the 10x42 Predator, the ZEN will clock them.  The wider fov of the ZEN will also likely induce some people to chose the ZEN over the regular Peregrine too, but otherwise the images of the regular Peregrine and ZEN ED are pretty close.

Edited by Klamath - August/17/2009 at 18:10
Steve

bald1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bald1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2009 at 12:34
I had a 45 minute session last night under a nice clear sky comparing the 7x36 with my Swaro 7x42 SLCs.

I use the automatic e-mails indicating favorable viewing conditions available from: http://cleardarksky.com/csk/

Last night my location included this projection:
Opportunities to observe at: (Clouds/Trans/Seeing)
08-17 @ Hour 21 for 2 hours (0%/Average/Average)

The minor objective size difference did not produce detectable differences in the views. That was a surprise as I had expected maybe a slight edge to the 7x42s. Both gave crisp pinpoint star images against inky black backgrounds. The Zens of course give the wider view. Both have fall off around the edges with the Zens having a bit less sweet spot than the Swaros but when the FOV is factored in.... Again another surprise as I had expected a smaller sweet spot based on some tests reported in one of the 7x36 evaluation threads elsewhere.   This even using the averted vision approach to binoviewing the starry skies. About the only place I gave a distinct thumbs up to the Swaros over the Zens was with the winged eyecups I have in use. They do a superb job of killing any stray side lighting and would be nice to have on the Zens.

I took the ED2 out in today's bright mid-morning sunshine to once more push the envelope regarding the glare issue.  Yes I was able to produce it but again it doesn't seem to evidence itself readily for me in normal use.  If it occurred all the time these bins would be on their way back to Charles.  Such is NOT the case with my pair.  And given the stunning optical performance in all other respects, I am well satisfied thus far in my "shake down" of these bins.

As an aside folks with a lot more optical expertise than I have are looking here as a probable cause:   "what I suppose is the rim of the focusing lens, is set in or held in place by a metal ring. This metal ring is fairly wide and although it has a black finish it is reflective and not matte. The reflection off that ring appears to be causing the glare and it seems to be more or less equally reflective regardless of the focus position."  If true, it ought to be a simple fix on the production line.

-=[Bob]=-
Zen-Ray View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zen-Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2009 at 20:40
Bob and JGRaider, I am glad the ED2 is able to make its way to your collection and live up to your expectation. Thank you so much.
Charles
Zen-Ray Optics
Follow us on Facebook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic