OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help a newbi pick a red dot scope!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CZJedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help a newbi pick a red dot scope!
    Posted: July/20/2009 at 07:56
I've never been into the entire black rifle thing, and never used a red dot scope on any of my other guns. While at the gun shop, though, I saw the new Colt M4 Ops in .22lr, and decided to bring her home. So now I would like to get a red dot scope for it to co-witness the front sight. A few things I need to know, though, are:
1) What is the parallax setting? I need it to focus down to 15 yards for the indoor range.
2) How long is the battery life?
3) How good is the quality?

$300 is the most I'd spend for a magnified model, so I've been looking at these two:

New Burris 3x32 AR Tactical Sight Ballistic CQ New Burris 3x32 AR Tactical Sight
Stock # - 300208
  • Matte
  • Ballistic CQ
$299.95 < id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl05_ProductList_ctl05_Price_VS value=K/wgLmuw0Jv8z8fd/Z1xVXFV+KSPOLDicshBQ9OzJJd51BYVNRg+hZvbMar1J1yv = name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl05$ProductList$ctl05$Price$VS>
Add to Wishlist< id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl05_ProductList_ctl05_Add2Wishlist_VS value=Mc6XomFtpHXwmzqtL2ssrjDvaOoTFPpzHCVn2ozjhMDCOcI3a5YBrYsJEJ0OYR/t = name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl05$ProductList$ctl05$Add2Wishlist$VS>
Add New Burris 3x32 AR Tactical Sight to Cart< id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl05_ProductList_ctl05_Add2Cart_VS value=zx7yW26n8WwjdVBZAx9zs6mYeG+09FeJ2EsWPlR6I1dc185WmenJsmUwc4BtI5nX = name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl05$ProductList$ctl05$Add2Cart$VS>
Truglo 2x42 Dual Color Red Dot Sight Truglo 2x42 Dual Color Red Dot Sight
Stock # - TG8030MB2
  • Matte
  • Multi-Reticle
  • 38mm
$169.95 < id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl05_ProductList_ctl12_Price_VS value=Ii3iGBHefMWzWmtiDXSgnbMD1g8M0xHvojItpQAmxuOwjcviqH2hiIxuycNsMjUO = name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl05$ProductList$ctl12$Price$VS>
Add to Wishlist< id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl05_ProductList_ctl12_Add2Wishlist_VS value=dVJDvihOpsZCuw8+49DpC4M1zkZyd6WXjh2gfz6Se8rW8+9FuDOJ5Uu7yyinM86A = name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl05$ProductList$ctl12$Add2Wishlist$VS>
Add Truglo 2x42 Dual Color Red Dot Sight to Cart< id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl05_ProductList_ctl12_Add2Cart_VS value=ngZSwAiXNuhWJuqiSfTQmzulNk2FvaI4w+bYA3tER8KY70XCrf8jHonm06ZiL2nn = name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl05$ProductList$ctl12$Add2Cart$VS>

If either of these can't focus down low enough, then how about this for a 1x magnification:
Bushnell 1x32 Trophy Red Dot Sight Red / Green T Dot Bushnell 1x32 Trophy Red Dot Sight
Stock # - 730132P
  • Matte
  • Red / Green T-Dot
  • CR 2032 Battery
  • Weaver Style Rail
$159.95 < id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl05_ProductList_ctl06_Price_VS value=7WsRWg//d5ikkAjjClAUhCKEQaFR6IwZLmq0VCr7Ht3dFKKGbv4nxlq5VjMIxZgg = name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl05$ProductList$ctl06$Price$VS>
Add to Wishlist< id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl05_ProductList_ctl06_Add2Wishlist_VS value=tW1VpfM8YHs8F2m/BUx1RuVD9Qbj7Rd5AIAmqjQ3Obr9f1SoC9rBS5B3sdWFRP3S = name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl05$ProductList$ctl06$Add2Wishlist$VS>
Add Bushnell 1x32 Trophy Red Dot Sight to Cart< id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl05_ProductList_ctl06_Add2Cart_VS value=OcwtwuVjkTs3q5rB5R7nkD/UHtptGg4i+62hZ40hN2uw4AZoHQkGVBdAo49qphj3 = name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl05$ProductList$ctl06$Add2Cart$VS>

If none of those fit my requirements, does anybody have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!
May the ForCZe be with you!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 09:25
I've used many, many "red dot" optics, but none of those.

Why do you want or need magnification on a 15-yard range?

My recommendation for a red dot in that price range would be the Burris Extreme Tactical or the Vortex StrikeFire.  The Burris is a 1X scope (no magnification) and the Voretex comes with a 2X add-on that can be screwed into the ocular end of the optic.

The Bushnell is probably fine for your purposes - again, can't say, haven't used it, and the Burris 3x32also.  Battery life on those should be decent, probably somewhere in the ballpark of 10-100 hours.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
CZJedi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CZJedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 13:12
Sorry, I should have been clearer, there. I want to be able to go down to 15 yards while at the indoor range, but the ability to go longer when shooting outdoors. I just don't want to have to get two red dots (one magnified and one not) and switch between the two. I figure a 2x or 3x would not be overpowering at 15 yards, so it should fit the bill for both.

I was looking at the Vortex, but it has the parallax set for 50 yards. Now, I dont' know if that is the 1x or the 2x screw in piece. If it is for the 1x, I imagine that it would be too fuzzy at the closer range. I know my Nikon Monarch reticle scope was, and that is a very high quality piece.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 13:29
I wouldn't worry too much about the parallax. 

I regularly shoot red dots out to 300 yards without difficulty.  It is not a "surgical" shot, but hits aren't a problem.

If you want magnification, being able to screw in the Vortex 2X is a nice thing (I guess), the other options might also be good.

Let us know what you get.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 13:31
I have a Vortex and you can see up close just fine with it.  15 yards would be just like using iron sights.  Most true 1x redots are just like looking through a blank tube with a dot in the center.    In fact if you want one I have mine for sale here. 

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=16262
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
CZJedi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CZJedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 20:29
Thanks for all the imput. I decided to go with another red dot w/ magnifier not sold here, so they will go nameless.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic