OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Exit Pupil for Super Sniper 20x

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlgs00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exit Pupil for Super Sniper 20x
    Posted: July/19/2009 at 19:55
Does anyone know what the exit pupil size is on the Super Sniper 20x?  Unfortunately, the website doesn't have pictures or detailed specifications on the scope.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 20:07
Why use an ilrelavant measure? Light transmited throught the scope does not depend on it?
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 21:08
Exit pupil is obj/power.

42/20=2.1
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 09:34
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Why use an ilrelavant measure? Light transmited throught the scope does not depend on it?

Please elaborate.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 09:53
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Please elaborate.

+1
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 10:04
I think Silver was thinking about Twilight Factor.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 12:02
Naw, I ment what I said.  Somewhere after 12x that number gets small quick.  What do you really do with that number anyway?  Scope "X" is .3 bigger, so what? That the ablity to use the scope depends more on the lens grinding and coating than some number that does not factor such in.  Without such a factor we may have more of a rule of thumb, but nothing hard.

If we take the Dia/mag=factor.  Thus Barksa, SS and Zeiss all look the same.  Until we do: (Dia/mag)x factor for light transmission. Or some more meaning full like  (40/20)x.96 do we get to a more meaning full number of compare what the scope may really do.

Other wise it is just TMI.  We cloud things with stuff that while accurate, have no real usage. What are we really doing with the information? What purpose does the information serve?  Does it tell us quality or fexiablity of use?  To prevent TMI we have to have USABLE inforation. 

WWW.formitch.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 13:39
I partially disagree: it ain't irrelevant, but it ain't the whole story either.

Coatings play a huge roll, but you can't evade the physics exit pupil.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 16:48
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I partially disagree: it ain't irrelevant, but it ain't the whole story either.

Coatings play a huge roll, but you can't evade the physics exit pupil.

So what do you really do once you know the exit pupil, then what?

Last year I spent a nice afternoon at the "big fish" store.  We looked and compared various binoculars of various sizes, quality, ect.  Ya know what? The smaller exit pupil of the Zeiss Conquest 8x30 won out over alot larger exit pupils.  We could see more stuff brighter and clearer hidding in the shadows in the play area across from us with the little Zeiss. 

WWW.formitch.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 17:03
True, smaller exit pupil on good glass is better than great exit pupil on crappy glass, however, assuming equal glass and equal coatings, the scope with the larger exit pupil will be brighter.

I agree that glass quality and coating quality play a part, but I disagree that exit pupil is

an ilrelavant measure

It is relevant, as are several other factors.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 17:10
Exit pupil is meaningful when determining how critical your eye position will be, for example the SS 20x42 has a tiny exit pupil which makes it primarily a bench scope.  Comparing exit pupils on all three fixed SS scopes would reveal that the 10x is much brighter, has less critical eye relief and eye placement is more forgiving.
mlgs00 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlgs00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 17:56
Thank you all for your replies and opinions.  I had forgotten how to calculate exit pupil or I would not have even asked the question.  Since I shoot solely from a bench, I am able to take the time to line up my eye with the scope, so exit pupil size is not as critical as if I were planning to hunt with it.  It just seemed strange to me that most scopes have this information listed on SWFA, but their own scopes did not.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2009 at 09:26
Be advised that higher-powered optics make mirage less tolerable.  If you shoot in a warm climate, 20X is going to give you problems on hot days or when the barrel heats up.

Just FYI.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic