OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rapid Ranging Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Tonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rapid Ranging Scopes
    Posted: July/19/2009 at 19:47
Hey guys, total newB, first post, so please forgive any transgressions.

I'm looking for some input concerning scope choice for an AR platform rifle. Basically a RRA Predator Pursuit, it was built for a type of competition held on a private range here.
The competition consists of finding, ranging, and engaging thirty randomly placed targets at ranges of 50~600yds. Your score is comprised of total time plus penalties for missed, doubled, or unengaged targets, as well as extra rounds.  As you can see, a scope which allows you to range, calculate bullet drop, and get off a shot quickly is a plus.

So far the most likely candidates are the Leatherwood ART Camputer 2.5-10x44,  Millett TRS 4-16x50, Barska Benchmark 4-16x50, and the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 wRapid Z 600 reticle.  The first three all have mil-dot reticles, the Leatherwood compensates as you range with it, the Barska is FFP, and they run $300-$350.  The Zeiss runs $500 locally and is the limit of the funds I can allocate to this project.

I'm open to other suitable choices and would appreciate any info or opinions that will assist me in getting an appropriate scope.
"Excreta tauri vincit omnia"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 23:46
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Scopes-C1719.aspx
Super Sniper

Mil-Dot Master
Stock # - MD1
Slide Rule
$29.95 
Add Mil-Dot Master to Cart 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - July/20/2009 at 01:48

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 01:29
The best choice for what you need to do is the variable Super Sniper 3-9x42.  It is a FFP scope with a Mil-Dot.

Of the scopes you listed, I would suggest you stay away from Leatherwood and Barska.  Barska is absolute crap, and Leatherwood needs work.   Millet is serviceable, but I have heard a lot of recent complaints about quality control.  Besides, for rapidly ranging targets, i would really recommend a FFP scope.

Zeiss Conquest is a very nice scope, but Rapid-Z reticle provides for holdover more so than for ranging.

I would just get the Vairable SUper Sniper and learn to use the MilDOt reticle.

ILya
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 06:23

Are all the targets a known size?

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 09:31
If ever the perfect scope existed for a certain application, it is yours and the SS 3-9 FFP (and a mil dot master.)

The SS is FFP, so you can range at any power - and that is a good thing, given your target spread.
The SS is mil dot, get a mil dot master and, so long as you know the dimensions of the target and can accurately call fractions of a mil, you are good to go on the ranging.

The turrets on the SS are in mil (corresponding to the reticle) so changes can be made easily at the turret or on the reticle.

The scope is on the upper limit of your spending (maybe just a  hair above) but it is worth the money.  As Koshkin said, Barska is terrible, Leatherwood isn't the best bet, Millett is serviceable, but the SS will win matches - if you do your part.

FOr what you require, at any price under $1,000, I don't think you could pick a better fit than the SS 3-9FFP.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
2Tonic View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Tonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 03:37
Thanks for the feedback guys.  While looking around this forum I've seen a lot of positive comments about the SS Variable, it just seemed out of my reach for this project.  Perhaps I just have to accept the price of admission is higher than I would like.  I see a lot of Leupy Mark 4's, Swaros, S&B, and Nightforce scopes at these meets, as well as a smattering of "offbrands" including the Leatherwood.

I wondered what the story with Barska was; nice looking factory turning out crap... I should've known better, also the Millett looked functional but I've since read about the quality control problems concerning inconsistant reticle adjustment.  Any end in sight to those? Or is the TRS doomed to be relegated to the $#!*pile?

If I may ask, what are the problems with the Leatherwood?  This scope seemed attractive from the aspect of it compensating for trajectory as you ranged with it.   Also the rings and mount are integral to it saving the expense of rings.  I used one of these about 30 years ago (seems much longer!) and I remember it working relatively well, you just zoomed the scope 'til an 18" or 36" target filled the appropriate box and the cam had dialed in the drop. I believe the factory was in the US then, not the PRMC.  Is it the glass, or build quality that's lacking?

As for the Zeiss, it seems to have really great glass and there are hashmarks surrounding the reticle to allow for ranging, but you have to crank the power all the way up to 9x each time, a bit extreme for a 50yd target, but it occurs to me that with a 200yd zero a .223 is point blank out to about 300yds, so you could save the ranging for the more distant plates...oh, btw Ronk, the targets are all 12" circular steel plates and some are in defilade . From each shooting position you can only see 10~12 targets, then you have to relocate about 75yds away to each new shooting position (3x's).  The range extends the courtesy of painting the plates white to aid in detection, but plans to camo them are afoot.

RC,Urfrnd, and Koshkin, thanks for the concensus. I'll have to give the SS a closer look and see if I can swing the cash.  With a FFP, as I understand it, the reticle changes size with the power ring so you can range at any power setting that gives you a clear view of the target.  Is that correct?  Then you crunch the numbers to get range and use the mil-dot markings as holdover points (once you dope them out)?

Am I even in the right power range here?  Is 9 or 10x going to get me out to 600yds?  That should be like looking over iron sights at 60yds on a 12" plate, no?

I'm sorry to be so wordy, but frankly I'm disappointed that the Leatherwood earned such a dubious rating, it seemed like a novel approach that would make quick time on this course, without having to consult charts or tables for each shot. Well maybe I'm expecting too much from any scope at this price-point. Thank you again for your frank opinions.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 09:11
With a mil dot master, so long as you know the target size, the ranging is fast and accurate (but it will take some practice.)

You are correct: FFP allows you to range at any power setting, since the increase in size of the target image is proportional to the increase in the size of the reticle.

Leatherwood has had some decent ideas, but they've never spent the time or money to turn out a consistent or high-quality scope.  I agree, it is disappointing.

Barska is, like many other chinese-made very low-ed scopes, not really going for quality or precision, they want the masses - who want cheap and think glass is mostly glass.

In the end, you get what you pay for (sometimes a little more - as in the SS - and sometimes a little less - as in Barska.

Also, the hashs on the Conquest reticle are not for ranging, they are aiming points.

http://www.zeiss.de/c1256bcf0020be5f/Contents-Frame/3dc0003746ab21148525726200057786

You "could" range with it, but it'd take time on the range and time with a calculator.

Sorry there is no cheap and easy choice.  As you said, you see many S&B, Nightforce, Swao and Leupolds.  The SS is less expensive than those and competes suprisingly well. 

Let us know what you get.

I have the 3-9SS and it is a great scope, especially for the price

Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 13:25
If all the targets are 12", simply make yourself a cheat sheet like so:

Mils Range
1.50 220
1.40 240
1.30 260
1.20 280
1.10 300
1.00 330
0.95 350
0.90 370
0.85 390
0.80 420
0.75 440
0.70 480
0.65 510
0.60 560
0.55 610

And tape it to the stock or scope where you can see it quickly.   Then you can quickly range with the SS on any power without having to do any math or even think (good for pressure/competition situations).

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 13:46

R C that really looks like a great set up with that mount, I am going to think of something I can sell and get one of those, thanks for the picture.

Duce Big Smile
Duce

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 15:24
Taking it back to the range tomorrow, will take more pictures of the setup and its results.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 15:44
Good idea Jon A! I was wondering though, is your Mil chart upside down. It seems like your mil adjustments for elevation get smaller as the range increases. Shouldn't this be the other way around, or am I missing something.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 15:52
No, as the target gets farther away it will appear smaller and will take up less space on the reticle.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 15:59
Ok, I understand now Bucky.

Now all he has to do is get his bullet drop for that range. Right?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 16:00
Beltfed that chart is not made for how much adjustment is needed at each yardage. It is based of how much a 12" target will cover up at each yardage in mils. In other words for ranging not holding over.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 16:02
Correct. Lol sorry I was typing that as you submitted yours. The template he posted is universal if the target is 12" the bullet drop obviously would be caliber/bullet specific. That chart is a very good starting point for someone to begin with though and a great refrence point for even the experienced mil user.

Edited by Chris Farris II - July/23/2009 at 16:03
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 16:12
Yeaup, yeaup, I understands now.Bucky I was having a blonde moment.
Now all he has to do is find out how much bullet drop he has at the different ranges, and he could add that to the chart. Much better than any bullet drop compensator.
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 18:39
When I set up my reticles for rangefinding and downrange zeroing i put both in Butler Creek scope cap covers. The ocular gets the drop chart and a BC Blizzard objective cover (the clear one) gets disassembled and the rangefinding goes into it so i can reference it when it pops up, then reassembled. This way everything is referenced quickly/efficiently without having to get out of position for the shot. The system is very fast.
Steve
2Tonic View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Tonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2009 at 03:52
R.C. and Jon A...thanks for the useful info.

Concerning that table of size vs. range, does a FFP 9x scope have enough magnification to discern whether a target at 500~600yds is subtending .6 or.7 of a mil?  Or is it really just a judgement call, recognizing that you're only going to be off by 20yds or so and will probably still hit the target?

R.C., concerning the Zeiss Rapid Z, the hashmarks I was referring to are at the extreme outer edge of the reticle,outside the heavy stadia lines.  They are oriented to the four compass points and the largest section of them is on the upper vertical, (North, if you will).  If you go to the link you sent me   http://www.zeiss.de/c1256bcf0020be5f/Contents-Frame/3dc0003746ab21148525726200057786  and click on "Rapid Z Reticles in Action", then click the "Ranging" tab, it shows how to use these marks to range a target and apply that info to the compensating/holdover portion of the reticle.  Of course this all happens at full power, but I guess zooming the scope and having the holdover grid is better than trying to dial elevation changes at the turrets.

Which is bringing me around to appreciate the features of the SS, as you've described them, even more.  If I can range at any power setting then it would seem a lower setting would be in order, counting on a maximum point blank range out to 300yds, and requiring me to only zoom the scope on targets at a greater distance. This is , after all, a competition, and speed counts!

Again, Thank you for your advice in this matter, it's appreciated more than you know!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2009 at 10:42
Originally posted by 2Tonic 2Tonic wrote:

R.C., concerning the Zeiss Rapid Z, the hashmarks I was referring to are at the extreme outer edge of the reticle,outside the heavy stadia lines.  They are oriented to the four compass points and the largest section of them is on the upper vertical, (North, if you will).  If you go to the link you sent me   http://www.zeiss.de/c1256bcf0020be5f/Contents-Frame/3dc0003746ab21148525726200057786  and click on "Rapid Z Reticles in Action", then click the "Ranging" tab, it shows how to use these marks to range a target and apply that info to the compensating/holdover portion of the reticle.  Of course this all happens at full power, but I guess zooming the scope and having the holdover grid is better than trying to dial elevation changes at the turrets.

Yea, I see that now, I guess I haven't spent enough time playing with that reticle.

As for hold-over vs. turret, it comes down to preference. 

Let us know what you decide.
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2009 at 01:03
That's an excellent system of rangefinding, probably the most accurate of all...if it's applied properly. If i were using that reticle i would apply the mil-ranging formula using a subtension unit of 0.5 IPHY. This way u could break up the 0.5" subtension units into tenths and it should give u more accuracy than anyone else has out there. I.e. suppose the 12" target brackets 1 of the entire 2 IPHY units and 1/2 of the next .5" unit. Here's the equation (using a subtension unit of .5")--

12x100/0.5/4.5=533 yds.

see how it works? 1-2" unit is actually 4-.5" units. This should give u the most accurate and fastest system of rangefinding with that reticle, because it allows u to break up each 0.5" subtension unit into tenths.

Now for point blank rangefinding u could set the gap as the unknown in the equation-

1200/0.5/X=300

X=8

Now , that means that if the 12" target subtends 2 of the 2" gaps or is bigger then it's within point blank range.
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic