OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lapping Rings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lapping Rings
    Posted: July/19/2009 at 03:26
Hey Guys,

I bought a mounting kit from Brownells, Ive got the aliginment tools in the rings and everthing looks perfectly lined up. So should I still lap the rings anyway? Will not lapping the rings with compound stop ring marks from appearing? Providing I do not overtighten the Leupold rings, correct?
This is the first time Ive ever tried mounting a scope properly obviously.

Thanks!
JF
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 07:29
With the scope out of the rings, tighen the rings all the way down.  Don't worry about a lot of torque, a light snug is fine.  Now take say a set of dial calipers and take measurements starting at 12 o'clock and work you way around to 6 o'clock, and watch the readings.  This will tell you how round the rings are and how undermachined they are.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 09:09
I look at it this way...
It NEVER HURTS to lap rings, even in cases where it's not needed.  Lapping not only ensures perfect alignment for stress-free mounting of your scope, but it also removes any burrs that might be present, ensures a greater % of your ring surface is gripping the scope tube, and at the same time, helps prevent ring marks on your scope.  It only takes maybe 30 minutes of your time, then you don't worry about it ever again as long as you don't remove your mounts.

In many scope ring setups, lapping isn't needed.  With most 2-piece mount setups, it really is helpful, because very seldom are both rings in perfect alignment front to back.  If you have a lapping bar already, why not lap the rings to give you peace of mind that everything is perfectly aligned and you have the least amount of stress exerted on your scope as possible?  It's just one less thing to worry about.  I believe anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Edited to add:  There are some mount / ring designs that cannot be lapped, i.e. Conetrol, S&K.  There are others that are difficult to lap, i.e. the various vertically split rings.  Those that have the self-aligning inserts, such as the Burris Signature rings, don't need to be lapped.

Edited by RifleDude - July/19/2009 at 09:14
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic