OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

leupold mark ar vs. weaver 1-3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jandswyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leupold mark ar vs. weaver 1-3
    Posted: July/18/2009 at 18:27
Looking at these two scope, the leupold mark ar 1.5-4 and the weaver 1-3. Was wondering if anyone has any input on the two?
jandswyo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jandswyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 10:58
wow no input?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 11:08
Never used either.

I know the 1-4 market is getting crowded (finally), and there are some really good optics out there.

What is your budget?
What is the scope going on (an AR?  of what caliber?)
What will be the primary purpose of the setup?
What do you want and what do you need?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
jandswyo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jandswyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 11:18
budget is negotionable like to spend as little as possible obviously. Sub $300 to start.
.223 16" ar, mainly just a plinker range set-up, but also a shtf set up. Not an operator or police, but mainly need rugged and reliable first, options and extras second. also looked at the nikon african, leupold vx i etc. just don't want to spend the extra money if something cheaper will work just as well. Need it as short as possible sub 10", and the lighter the better.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 16:32
10640 Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog TA50R4, Matte finish, Red Crosshair reticle, BAC, in store display model   $599.95
Aimpoint 9000SC 30mm Red Dot Sight
Stock # - 11417
Matte, 2 MOA Dot
$373.95 
Add Aimpoint 9000SC 30mm Red Dot Sight to Cart 
I'd rather see you jump into one of the scopes above as I think you would always be satisfied with either of them  -  they are small well suited to that rifle and quite useful with their illuminated reticles.  I'll post some others below that are a consideration and then comment on them.
Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope 4A w/ Illuminated Dot Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 731424M
  • Matte
  • 4A w/ Illuminated Dot
  • 30mm
$144.95 
Add Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart 
baragain price seems solid illumination battery has not always worked but is better since I put a small piece of rubber from an arrow fletching between the cap and battery to hold the battery in position.  I'd buy another one.
Weaver 1-3x20 Classic V Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849400
Matte, Dual X
$149.95 
Add Weaver 1-3x20 Classic V Rifle Scope to Cart 
This has recieved many good reviews. I dont have this model but I have another weaver in a 2-7 that has been a good scope. I'd strongly consider this model.
Leupold 1.5-4x20 Mark AR Riflescope Leupold 1.5-4x20 Mark AR Riflescope
Stock # - LEU67170
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Multi-Coat 4 Lens System
$279.95 
Add Leupold 1.5-4x20 Mark AR Riflescope to Cart 
Well I'm definately the leupold guy of the forum but I can think of a lot of leupolds I would rather have on an AR than this one.  I'll show you some:
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$409.95 
Add Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope to Cart 
First choice for me as far as leupolds goes to the newly improved FX3 6x42 with long range duplex.  This is a bullet proof scope nothing  is tougher than a fixed power scope.  
Leupold 6x36 FX-II Riflescope
Stock # - LEU63085
Matte, Long Range Duplex
$309.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 09:37
Millett 1-4x24 DMS Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Millett 1-4x24 DMS Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - BK81002
  • Designated Marksman Scope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Donut-Dot
  • 30mm
$199.95
Add Millett 1-4x24 DMS Tactical 30mm Riflescope to Cart

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - July/20/2009 at 09:38

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 09:41
For your purposes, the Millett will do jut fine.  It is within your budget and will leave enough money to also get one of these to mount it - and still be under $300.

I had the Millett, it worked, no problems really (it ain't a $1,000 scope, but it ain't $1,000 either.)  I have the SS mount and like it, you won't find better for anywhere near the price (LaRue QDs are great, if you need QD, but also> 3X the price.)

SWFA S.S.A.L.T.  30mm / 1
SWFA S.S.A.L.T. 30mm / 1" Scope Mount
Stock # - SS30HSSALT
  • Matte
  • Comes with 1" Inserts
$59.95

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - July/20/2009 at 09:43
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 14:53
If you are OK with a simple duplex reticle and just want a basic scope ona budget.  Weaver V3 is the way to go.

It is small and light, has decent glass and good reputation for durability.

Millett DMS-1 is a decent choice, but it absolutely dwarfs the V3 in terms fo size.

I would also take a look at the Nikon Monarch African 1-4x20.  The 1" version is under $300.

ILya
TominCA View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TominCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 15:50
I have the V3 - Its a great little scope for the money. In comparison to a Bushnell 1-4 I owned  it was obviously inferior BUT that does not mean it was inadequate. For plinking and hunting on an AR it is a great choice for not a whole lot of money. With out having actually seen or used the Leupold you inquired about (I have other Leo's) I would say the the Leupold has got to be better - but again my Weaver V3 does everything I need it to on my AR.
Tom in CA
jandswyo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jandswyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 12:50
Thanks for all the input, i settled on the v3 1-3x, after comparison it was a much better value than the leupold, and the size issue sold me.
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2009 at 10:54
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

If you are OK with a simple duplex reticle and just want a basic scope ona budget.  Weaver V3 is the way to go.

It is small and light, has decent glass and good reputation for durability.

Millett DMS-1 is a decent choice, but it absolutely dwarfs the V3 in terms fo size.

I would also take a look at the Nikon Monarch African 1-4x20.  The 1" version is under $300.

ILya

Ditto
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic