OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Gun cleaning equipment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gun cleaning equipment
    Posted: July/18/2009 at 11:00

Gentlemen.

I have a .22 cal a .243 caliber Sako´s and A Winchester SX3 shotgun. Im looking for good but economical cleaning equipment to use on those.  Do you recommend I buy a bore snake for each gun, a cleaning rod or some kit?

Thanx
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2009 at 11:37
In before Mike McDonald's "Witches and Warlock's" comment....Big Grin

I like Dewey cleaning rods, bore guide, Barnes CR-10, and Mobil 1 motor oil.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2009 at 12:46
I would buy a one piece .22 cal stainless rod long enough to clean from the back end of the gun.  That should take care of the rifles with a jag or oval end piece to push patches through.  For the shotgun I would get a one piece Tiko Tool it looks like a pipe cleaner and a few drops of oil on it run it up and down a few times ant the shotgun is good. A Toothbrush or green or black mil style toothbrush is a must.  A hemostat and a small screwdriver are quite useful assorted pin punches would be good. Patches in the correct size.  Spray gun scrubber is nice if you have semi autos but not a necesity.   Gun solvent
A word of caution most gun solvent smells really bad and are best suited to outside use. The military uses Breakfree CLP and it is very good choice as a cleaner and lube.  I have used a lot of Hoppes #9 but dont care for the odor I do like the small wide mouth bottle they use and I have some military solvent that I use in one of the old Hoppes bottles because it is nice to have a bottle with a wide enough mouth to dip patches and the tooth brush into.    For rifles that are not able to be cleaned from the back of the barrell like an M1a or mini 14 I like the bore snake.  Gun cleaning equipment is something that most of us dont have nearly enough of.  If you set up a small plastic tackle box as your gun cleaning box you will do much better than buying an over the counter kit.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
shooter4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2009 at 14:03
Good advice. Im not buying a kit then. I saw some stuff on midwayusa. Im wondering if I can buy one rod and use both on the .22 cal and .243?  Just screw appropriate brushes on the end of it?

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2009 at 16:19
Poor cleaning equipment can ruin your accuracy, protect the throat of your chamber and use a good non metal cleaning rod. A cleaner like wipe out foam will do most of the work & a good oil for storage. I have used Mobile 1 and it works good, break free clp etc. Copper and carbon sometimes require different cleaners to get out. The Smilebenchrest forum has a lot of discussion on cleaning.  www.benchrest.com 
Duce 
Duce
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 00:41
 Good advice above but I would also suggest using the largest diameter one-piece coated stainless steel  rods that will fit your specific bores.  A .22 rod is too whippy to use in a .308 for example although it will work in a pinch, if you're careful.  Be sure the rod is free of dirt or grit before using it.
257WM_CDL-SF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 257WM_CDL-SF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2009 at 19:48
best  thing   I ever  bought was a  Lucas bore guide  either a Dewey coated rod or a Tipton carbon  fiber  butch;s bore shine
BGonzo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BGonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 16:13
Just get an OTIS Tactical Cleaning System and be done with it...cleans any .17-.50 cal pistol or rifle and any ga. shotgun....buy a new gun down the road and you don't have to worry bout buying new cleaning kit materials. I have one and I love it.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 16:20
Sometimes you need a little more cleaning than a OTIS field kit can do.  they do not get everything out, mostly just the loose carbon.  They are good for a quickie, but much more is needed to properly clean a rifle.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 16:34
I've used Otis with good results for both carbon and copper fowling removal (for copper removal I used a different chemical).  I use OTIS for rifles that have to be cleaned from the muzzle end with a regular cleaning rod (like my KelTec SU16).

After a lot of experimentation I ended up using the following, depending on the situation:

-Tipton carbon fiber cleaning rod (I have a couple of different lengths for different rifles, but if you ar eonly buying one get a long one)

-Slip2000 cleaner/degreaser (this stuff cuts through carbon fowling faster than anything I have seen; it also takes care of cleaning out corrosive resude from old milsurp ammo)

-For heavy duty copper removal I started using KG12.  It take sout copper daster and more throughly than anything I have tried.

-When I have time, I use a foaming bore cleaner (currently from Gunslick, but I'll go back to Wipe-Out soon).  It takes some waiting but works pretty well (an added benefit is the fact that it cleans out the bolt face nicely).  

-For lubrication and corrosion protection after cleaning I use KG-4.  Up until recently I have been using Tetra Gun lubricant, but I am switching to KG-4 which seems to offer better corrosion protection.

As a side note, I have also been experimenting with some permanent dry film chemicals and Microlon's Gun Juice seems to have some interesting properties.

ILya
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 16:58
Lots of great suggestions here!! I like the tackle box tip, been using one for years. Thunbs Up

A couple of quality rods and bore guide(s) are probably at the top of the list.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 19:05
OK, I thought I was crazy cause no one had suggested the Otis kit...  Thanks Chris... It works great on all of my rifles and pistols... I suggest it to all the guys at work...Bandito 

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 21:50
I use the Otis kit too, and it is great for hunting trips where you need to conserve space in your gear.

My primary gun cleaning kit includes Dewey 1-pc coated rods, a variety of jags and brushes from different suppliers, bore guides, oil wipes, "Wipe-out" foam bore cleaner, pieces of old T-shirts used as cleaning rags, bore patches, JB bore paste, Sweets copper solvent, Break Free CLP oil, TM bolt grease, TM oil, old toothbrushes used for scrubbing, silicone impregnated cleaning cloths, Allen and Torx wrench sets, a drift punch set, screwdriver set, various sizes of bore snakes...

My primary bore cleaner is a 50/50 blend of Shooter's Choice bore solvent and Kroil penetrating oil.  I learned about this mixture from some benchrest shooters who swore by it.  The Kroil penetrates under fouling and the pores of the bore to loosen fouling and help the solvent do its job better.  It also leaves a slight protective oil film in the bore after cleaning.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2009 at 06:17
I carry an Otis in the field just in case snow or debris make it into the barrel. I used to use it with my M1 Garand (and it was recommended by the CMP). However, now I have a muzzle guide for that rifle and just use the same Tipton carbon rod I use on my bolt rifles. I always use a Lucas bore guide with the bolt rifles (other similar ones are available). I use Otis bore brushes, a nickel-coated jag, and just use a loop to pull a small CLP-soaked patch back through the barrel when I'm done cleaning.

In cleaning, I mostly go after carbon and don't worry a lot about removing every last bit of copper. I use the M-Pro 7 spray (sold as Hoppes Elite), which is pretty good on carbon and so-so on copper. It's also non-toxic and doesn't smell. I brush it 10 times, push all the crud out with patches, alternating wet and dry. On occasion, I'll take the rifle outside and run something like Montana X-treme copper killer through the same way. I always patch until dry and the patches come out white. I finish by switching to the loop and pulling the CLP patch back through the barrel (so it's the last thing that contacts it). Of course when I go out to shoot I need to run a dry patch through, but the CLP protects the barrel well during the indefinite periods between trips to the range.

Whatever chemicals and voodoo you choose, don't clean a bolt gun without a bore guide. You will tear up the throat and that is where most fouling comes from and what most damages a barrel.
Reaction time is a factor...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic