OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

gather round. scope for a kid.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gather round. scope for a kid.
    Posted: July/17/2009 at 23:01
OOOHHH optic gurus.

as much as I am into rifles and their optics, I have run into a wall.
My son  ( 8y/o) has a New England handi rifle with numerous barrels (.223 and 357 mag for now).  up till now i have had him shooting quite well with a red dot. the time has come to move him into a cross hair w/ magnification scope.

i had really planned on moving a 3200 1.5x4 firefly( that Chris helped me purchase years ago)  that i had on a 30-06 to the rifle. I figured the firefly reticle would help him in low light conditions until he really became experienced. but there was a flaw. the scope doesnt really clear the exposed hammer to be manipulated what i would consider safely by an 8 y/o. even with the offset hammer stud, the scope is too large.

i'm looking for fixed or low X only that wont break the bank which might give more room without having to go to high mounts. ideally i would like to find a 4x that that can be mounted even with the action break.

any ideas?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2009 at 07:47
  I LIKE your choice of a fixed 4X!  I've got a Denver Redfield 2 3/4X on my daughters Handi-Rifle and no clearance problems.  I'm guessing your problem comes because of the large ocular?  I would think this would work:

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
muddydog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2009 at 10:01

I actually told a friend 2 days ago that I would probably order a weaver 4x or a 1x3 before i ever posted this.

Great minds think a like!
We hunt deep timber and in all honesty 50-100 yard shots are the rarity, not the norm.

I am a strong proponent of fixed power scopes or atleast low X variables.
Weight and scope size in general are a huge issue on a samll frame youth gun for a 8 year old.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2009 at 10:11
  To bad Weaver dropped the Classic K2.5.  I've got one on a .243 Ruger Compact Carbine.  VERY nice scope.  That 1-3x20 Weaver would be a good choice also.  I've read posts on guys using that scope on some HEAVY kickers with no problems.
muddydog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2009 at 18:58
if you think about it, there are numerous issues regarding a small youth and a hunting scope. 1- it won't be babied, so it needs to be able to take a beating. 2- it needs a broad eye relief for a growing kid to be able to adjust into. 3- it needs to be weight conscious.

unfortunately, those 3 things are hard to get in an affordable combination.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 07:37
  The Leupold 4x33 will meet the three features your looking for so you may want to consider it. The eye pc. is 41mm,which is a fairly std size,so should clear the extention.

jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 11:00
Weaver steel tube El Paso micro-track k2.5. Dang tough scope and can be found under $100.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 11:06
    Thunbs Up    I still got the K-2.5 I bought new in '68.
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 12:26
The smallest eyepiece that I currently am aware of is the Bushnll Elite 3200.  The Leupold Compact is also a small diameter ocular lens.

Edited by Oldtrader3 - July/19/2009 at 12:27
CDR3
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 13:44
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Thunbs Up    I still got the K-2.5 I bought new in '68.

showing your age again earl??Bucky
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 13:44
    Ocular diameter on the 3200 is 40.7mm so as I said 41mm seems to be std.  Here's a 4X that's got the smallest I know of:
muddydog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 16:29
I found a set of Millet High Mounts and tried out my 3200 firefly today at the range. He had no problem manipulating the sidemounted hammer spur of the hammer on the .357 barrel. he was shooting 1-1.5 inch groups at 25 yards, which I didnt think was too bad for the first time with crosshairs.

I will probably try to find a 4x Leupold or another compact style scope for the .223 barrel.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 16:42

" showing your age again earl??Bucky"

And PROUD of it I might add.  Besides I ain't got no D'd choice but to be.  LOL

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic