OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Eye relief for lightweight 300 Win Mag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eye relief for lightweight 300 Win Mag
    Posted: June/09/2005 at 09:29
Hello:

I just purchaced a McMillan MCRT in 300 win mag,with titanium action and fluted barrel, which weighs 7.0 lb.  Reading thought the information on this forum I think I want to put a Bushnell Elite 4200 on it as like the price, the rainguard and I want to check out that firefly recticle to see if I like it too.  However its eye relief is only 3.3 inches.  Is that a constant 3.3" and will 3.3" inches be enough to prevent wacking myself?

My second choice would be the Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10, which has some features I like too, but it's eye releif is only 0.2 inches more, so is that enough to make a difference?

Or should I go with the Zeiss Conquest 3-9 with the full 4" of eye releif? 

Thanks.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2005 at 10:17

It depends on your natural hold, I suppose.  I am a stock crawler so for me eye relief is pretty critical.  I would not want to go with anything less that 4" of eye relief on this rifle, and consider putting a soft rubber ring or something along those lines on the eye piece for those times when it will attempt to give you a nose bleed despite all the ye relief and stuff.

Ilya

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2005 at 16:14

The Elite stat is an average eye relief.  I've used a 2.5-10 Elite on a Model 7 Remington that weight about 6 lbs in .260 Improved with no problems.

You may also want to consider one of the new Burris Short Mag scopes.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2005 at 14:53

Conquest on a .300 Win mag is good to go. I had one and that scope never got close to my eye.

That's more than I can say on some other scopes I had on that rifle.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2005 at 18:22
On a 7lb rifle, by thr time you put the 4200, mounts, bases and ammo I would bet you will be at the 8.5 range ready to roll. I would not be concerned at all when using a proper grip ( firm ). I own 2- 4200's with the FireFly reticle and I believe that you will love it as much as I love mine.Good luck and good shooting!!!
STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2005 at 14:42
Conquest all the way!  
dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2005 at 00:15
Shooting hot 300 WM especially in bullets above 180 grains I'd recommend a min of 3.5" of eye relief.  Brother I shoot a 300 WM that is no where near as light as yours and mine bucks pretty good.
Maric View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2006 at 23:42

Hey, so I ended up going with the Conquest 3.5-10 x 44 scope with mil-dot recticle.  I like the scope, exept for one thing.  Every time I go to the range I get at least one wack on the nose that draws blood.  No major gashes but it's freaking me out and my groups suck.  With my .308 sniper rifle I can shoot half MOA without much fuss.  I pushed the scope as far forward as I can but it still gets me. 

Right now my best idea is to get a Leupold 2.5-10 LPS (advertises 4.5" eye relief) and have the custom shop install a mil-dot recticle.  Anyone have any cheaper ideas?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 00:30
3-9x40 Conquest is available with a Mil-Dot and has 4" of eye relief.

Nikon Monarch Gold is another option (it has a 30mm tube though).

If you are willing to go with a lower magnification scope Burris Signature Safari 1.75-5x32 has a lot of eye relief.

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 02:45
Originally posted by Maric Maric wrote:

Hey, so I ended up going with the Conquest 3.5-10 x 44 scope with mil-dot recticle.  I like the scope, exept for one thing.  Every time I go to the range I get at least one wack on the nose that draws blood.  No major gashes but it's freaking me out and my groups suck.  With my .308 sniper rifle I can shoot half MOA without much fuss.  I pushed the scope as far forward as I can but it still gets me. 

Right now my best idea is to get a Leupold 2.5-10 LPS (advertises 4.5" eye relief) and have the custom shop install a mil-dot recticle.  Anyone have any cheaper ideas?

Somethings BAD wrong there, Bro.

How's your grip?

I had the same scope on a .300 WM Sako and it never came close to me.

Either the scopes got issues, or your are letting it come back and smack you.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
blsnelling View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blsnelling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 07:36

I just bought a Remington 700 BDL LSS  300WSM and mounted an elite 4200 4-16x40 on it.  It has a fixed eye relief of 3.5" and weighs a fair amount more than your rifle, having a laminate stock and solid barrel.  The WSM also has less kick to begin with.  If I don't remove my flip cap, I get "touched" on the nose everytime I shoot it.  I've only found two good options under $600.  The Conquest 3-9x40 and the Monarch Gold 2.5-10x50 30mm.  The ConQuest is fixed at 4" and the Monarch Gold is 4"-4.1".

Maric View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2006 at 14:54

Those might be some options.  If I remove the butler creek scope cover I can gait about 3/16 inch and if I turn the eyepiece all the way in I get another 3/16 inch, and the rectical is still clear.  The way I hold the rifle might matter, as last time I was at the range I was shooting it the same as my sniper rifle, with my left hand controlling the buttstock rather than on the forend which might be a mistake with that rifle. 

It's usually the flip up button on the scope cover that gets me, and I even broke one once when it hit my nose.  Field positions are usually ok, so I could put the scope cover back on for hunting.  I'd rather not buy another scope, if at all possible.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2006 at 11:42

I have a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10 x40 on a 300 WM and a 10x Super Sniper on a Win Coyote lite 300 WSM and neither one has hit me yet. My 375 H&H had that same 3.5-10 x 40 VXIII on it and it never hit me then either.

I have been thinking about putting an Aimpoint on one of the 375 H&H guns and that might be a good afternoon project. A lot of what you put on a heavy caliber gun depends on the distance you plan to shoot.

My Encore 50 cal musket got me a couple of times when I had a Tasco on it but I've put a Nikon Omega on it and with 5 in eye relief it doesnt even come close.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cd100 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cd100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2006 at 01:39
Maric wrote:

Somethings BAD wrong there, Bro.

How's your grip?

I had the same scope on a .300 WM Sako and it never came close to me.

Either the scopes got issues, or your are letting it come back and smack you.

This has been the all time funniest thread. I can just see the guy sitting next to you at the range and the look of HORROR on your face as blood pours onto the table.It should be freaking you out.You might want to put the iron sights back on.

In those immortal words"Somethings BAD wrong there,Bro"

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic