OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Looking for a lease in Central Texas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for a lease in Central Texas
    Posted: July/14/2009 at 09:17
I am desperately looking for a lease in central TX that's reasonable..
if anyone has an opening... let me know

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 09:43
Good luck!

I've been looking too, either the good ones are all full, or they have an opening for a guy that can have the box by the road with no shot (and can't use anye else's box) and still has to pull full weight.

I've decided on an operation in Refugio that is flat-out infested with hogs and has some decent deer.  The owner says I get 2 hogs, 2 turkeys, 2 shooter bucks (not culls or spikes) and 2 doe for the coming season, and he'll throw in a dove hunt.  All that for a great price and I don't have to plant any food plots or fill any feeders, he does it all.

That's a better deal than any lease I've seen.

Again, good luck!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 20:59
Rancid that does sound good what will that set you back?  I used to  hunt on a nice ranch at Rock Springs.  One thing you guys in Texas should also do is Parks and Wildlife has some state owned land several places and they have drawings to hunt the ground but very few know about this but you have to inquire early about how to sign up for the hunt it is either free or very low cost and it is not hunting from a blind but the water holes are a good spot.  Here in Iowa there is a lot of state land to hunt plus I have two 40 acre farms that have been quite productive over the years.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 10:09
$2,100, includes lodging at a decent little hotel down the road.

I hunted with he guy last year and didn't see any bucks I wanted (a friend shot at a 10-point he liked, but he missed clean), but I took a 350-pound hog and a friend killed a 400+ pound hog.  I also took 2 smaller hogs my son took his first hog and his first turkey (a nice gobbler, 11-inch beard, 1.25 spurs, a great 42-yard shot.
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 17:56
Rancid has a good point about getting shafted on stands....I hunted with a dog club and got stuck on the worst stands you can imagine.  They knew the way the deer would run, and sent me in the opposite direction.  It's a common practice up here.  The few honest clubs have members draw stands out of a hat...but they are the exception, not the rule.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 20:02
Agreed.

Also, a huge benefit to an operation like the one I am using this year: no work weekends to plant food plots and "field day" the bunk house, no drunk idiots shooting at you, and no ownership in the property in general.  I show up, the owner has already loaded the feeders or planted the food plot, I shoot, he even has a guy that will clean the beast if I want him to.

There is a "pride in ownership" aspect to a nice lease, but there are usually idiots with which one must contend.
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 20:06
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Agreed.

Also, a huge benefit to an operation like the one I am using this year: no work weekends to plant food plots and "field day" the bunk house, no drunk idiots shooting at you, and no ownership in the property in general.  I show up, the owner has already loaded the feeders or planted the food plot, I shoot, he even has a guy that will clean the beast if I want him to.

There is a "pride in ownership" aspect to a nice lease, but there are usually idiots with which one must contend.

Yeah, I forgot the 'work days', fund raisers and all of that garbage.  And the two guys in the club that kill all/most/some of the big deer on the property.....at night.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 21:42
I got my lease!
woo hoo

found a small place just outside of Columbus and will be hunting with my brother and a close friend, just the 3 of us
1500 a gun, year round access
hasn't been hunted on in 25 years and the owner owns 10K acres, this is just a small piece and the adjacent property doesn't get hunted on

no guests outside of the camp area during deer season
my son can be with me but one has to be the designated hunter
I offered it to him but he wants HOGS, he's 12 and has shot 3 deer but no hogs

We will be setting up a small trailer and 3 stands and feeders
I don't like hunting deer over a feeder but it draws them into the property and frankly, I am more interested in killing hogs!

I would rather hunt elsewhere, up north around Goldwaithe, Brady, etc.. but my brother lives in Houston and this place is convenient for both of us..
I remember hunting with my dad, brother and uncles as the best times of my life...
I want that for my kids too..

Refugio is a great area!
I shot this one there a few years ago

and my dad from the same area in the late 60s/early 70s

Edited by ccoker - July/20/2009 at 21:46

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2009 at 08:59
Congratulations.

It's always nice to find a place you can enjoy year-round.

Get a few feeders up and spreading and, if there are hogs in the area, they will start coming to the "dinner bell."
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2009 at 09:31
he claims there are LOTS of hogs in the area

SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2009 at 09:48
Sounds like a great deal.  Good looking deer.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic